Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Line out converters and power rating

Old 01-13-2016, 10:22 PM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Line out converters and power rating

Hi all,

I'm installing my audio stuff soon and have a couple questions.
I'll be using an aftermarket head unit with the stock bose amp and my head unit only gives out speaker/high level and not line level like the factory bose. So I need a line out converter.

I've seen the Scosche SLC-4 which is 4 channel but rated at 80w max. Does that mean it won't work for my head unit producing 50w x 4 max? Or is the 80w max per channel?

Also, I already have a line out converter but it is 2 channel. Would it be a problem if I sent both Front left and right inputs in 1 channel and the Rear left and right into the other channel so I get line level outputs which can be then split the other side for Front left and right, and Rear left and right. I know I could split it all left through one channel and all right through the 2nd channel but I think it would be more useful to maintain front to rear speaker balance rather than left and right.

Let me know your thoughts!

Brad

Old 01-14-2016, 11:39 AM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
your head unit will NOT put out 50 watts per channel. more like 12 or 15. 50 is the most it will ever do before it blows the integral amplifier. if you are wiring it to the bose amp just cut some RCA cables and run from rca output to the amp input wires. pretty much all aftermarket radios have rca output. but honestly, Bose blows! I junked that garbage right after I bought my car. the door speakers have magnets smaller than my tweeters, it pathetic.

The following users liked this post:
BradMD_96 (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by Frostbite91
your head unit will NOT put out 50 watts per channel. more like 12 or 15. 50 is the most it will ever do before it blows the integral amplifier. if you are wiring it to the bose amp just cut some RCA cables and run from rca output to the amp input wires. pretty much all aftermarket radios have rca output. but honestly, Bose blows! I junked that garbage right after I bought my car. the door speakers have magnets smaller than my tweeters, it pathetic.
Yeah I know the 50w is max and the 'RMS' will be way lower. I was thinking if RMS was maybe even 30w it would blow the line level converter. The rca outputs on the headunits you speak of normally send out line level to those outputs anyway and high level to the speaker wires, but anyway the head unit I have is old and doesn't have rca outputs (only for sub).

So to save me buying anything else do you think it's better to use my 2 channel line out converter (5:1 ratio) or just wire the speaker level from the headunit straight to the amp - that sounds dangerous.....

Old 01-15-2016, 09:55 AM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
rms wont be 30. I promise you that, besides, the oem speakers cant handle bass and the amp will kill off most bass before it hits the speakers. Bass is what requires the most wattage. Your line out adapter will work fine. Just wire the fronts/rears together. That's what I did before I did my dual tablet install.

The following users liked this post:
BradMD_96 (01-15-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by Frostbite91
rms wont be 30. I promise you that, besides, the oem speakers cant handle bass and the amp will kill off most bass before it hits the speakers. Bass is what requires the most wattage. Your line out adapter will work fine. Just wire the fronts/rears together. That's what I did before I did my dual tablet install.
Bass won't be a problem as I'll be using the sub out rca on the head unit (the only rca) for my separate amp to power a sub