Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Aftermarket single din converting to double din?

Old 03-04-2016, 03:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Aftermarket single din converting to double din?

Hey g35drivers! Before you guys flame me for not searching, I want to point out I have looked everywhere for the answer to my question. I bought my car about a month ago, and it came with the ugly *** Metra trim and a single din radio. I also noticed that there was a Kenwood backup camera installed, but the radio doesn't have backup capabilities. Anyway, I bought a BOSS BV9386NV and a jdm double din trim kit. I want to know if I will need any further harnesses or wires for my radio to install? Also, will the Kenwood camera work for my boss head unit? I know you need a couple harnesses and adapters, but with the single din installed those wires should already be there right? I am a total noob with audio in cars so please any advice is appreciated!

Old 03-05-2016, 11:27 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by MilesToInfiniti
Hey g35drivers! Before you guys flame me for not searching, I want to point out I have looked everywhere for the answer to my question. I bought my car about a month ago, and it came with the ugly *** Metra trim and a single din radio. I also noticed that there was a Kenwood backup camera installed, but the radio doesn't have backup capabilities. Anyway, I bought a BOSS BV9386NV and a jdm double din trim kit. I want to know if I will need any further harnesses or wires for my radio to install? Also, will the Kenwood camera work for my boss head unit? I know you need a couple harnesses and adapters, but with the single din installed those wires should already be there right? I am a total noob with audio in cars so please any advice is appreciated!
You should be able to re-use whatever wiring harness was used previously, just separate the single din radio's harness and the vehicle side harness apart, and solder the new radio's harness to the re-used vehicle side harness.

No idea why how they ran wiring for the backup camera that's there already, but backup cameras almost universally just send on a RCA video cable, so just find where that goes and run it to the new radio. Assuming the camera already is properly powered, you will just need to attach the backup camera signal wire to either the reverse light power wire, or the reverse light power signal wire in the driver's kickpanel.