Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

2006 Smart FOB Twist to start change to Push to Start

Old 03-13-2016, 06:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Smart FOB Twist to start change to Push to Start

Hi
I am new to this forum since I got my 06 G35 Coupe AT and since I have an FOB and a twist to start and don't have to insert a key just have the FOB in my pocket
Is there an easy way to change out the twist to start for a push to start button? I have searched but have not found a proper answer, since I am already intelligent key and FOB then it should be easy to just swap the twist for a push button I would think?
Thanks
Perry

Last edited by PerryLancaster; 03-13-2016 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:54 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Are you SURE you have an intelligent key system? If you have a FOB with a turn to start ignition, that tells me that you do NOT have an intelligent key system.

Old 03-13-2016, 07:01 PM
I thought I did

Originally Posted by DeafBringer
Are you SURE you have an intelligent key system? If you have a FOB with a turn to start ignition, that tells me that you do NOT have an intelligent key system.
Well I thought so cause of the oval FOB and I just had to had it in my pocket no key needed
I can use the FOB key to start the vehicle and open and lock the doors but it is not needed to start the car or put the ignition in ACC etc. the twist to start seem silly I was used to my 08 Altima coupe. Can I just replace the twist to start with a push switch with maybe a relay or two? the build date is 6/06

Old 03-13-2016, 07:37 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Ah I misunderstood, now I know what you mean.

Looks like the push to start feature was available on 07+ sedans. Here is the search I used: https://g35driver.com/forums/search....rchid=17088857

I found this: https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ush-start.html

and: https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...06-g35-mt.html

and: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...art+conversion

Hope that helps.

Old 03-13-2016, 07:47 PM
Thanks

Originally Posted by DeafBringer
Ah I misunderstood, now I know what you mean.

Looks like the push to start feature was available on 07+ sedans. Here is the search I used: https://g35driver.com/forums/search....rchid=17088857

I found this: https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ush-start.html

and: https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...06-g35-mt.html

and: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...art+conversion

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the links I just need to find the right parts and have my mechanic put it in unless it is plug and play I always have a mechanic do the work. I will check out the links looks like I should find something
Thanks again
Cheers

Old 04-30-2016, 07:18 AM
Yes it is an intelligent key system

Hi
In response to an earlier reply
Yes it is an intelligent key I just got a new one with all the buttons working
and it had to be programmed by software and my locksmith told me it was
an intelligent key system. So that issue is resolved he even said he did not understand
why the twist to start could not just replace the Twist to start and in that hole it is not even
on the column on my car and the lock system is thru the shifter position
So I have heard that some one did this with a M35 push switch which fit the space
but have been unable to find the info
and of course Infinity says it cannot be done
Boy was I surprised HAHA.
Thanks for any help
I don't use the key to start it anyway so why not
Thanks
Cheers

Old 04-30-2016, 02:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not just get a remote start? Now your at least getting a new feature that essentially does what you want and spend much much less.

I like the design, sure you don't put the key in it normally but what if you drop it in water or battery dies, or want to use valet?

Just to switch it to push to start you'd have to relocate the lock cylinder, fix the wheel lock if your not turning switch now, get the button device that also controls acc positions, wire everything up and be as dependable as what you already have.

Spending 1-2k just to get a push instead of a turn is just crazy to me.

I'll mention i didn't bother spending the 50$ to get a new remote opener on my 98 avalon.

This not taking my keys out my pocket thing is great now

The following users liked this post:
PerryLancaster (04-30-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 03:59 PM
Your Right

Originally Posted by JRP35G
Why not just get a remote start? Now your at least getting a new feature that essentially does what you want and spend much much less.

I like the design, sure you don't put the key in it normally but what if you drop it in water or battery dies, or want to use valet?

Just to switch it to push to start you'd have to relocate the lock cylinder, fix the wheel lock if your not turning switch now, get the button device that also controls acc positions, wire everything up and be as dependable as what you already have.

Spending 1-2k just to get a push instead of a turn is just crazy to me.

I'll mention i didn't bother spending the 50$ to get a new remote opener on my 98 avalon.

This not taking my keys out my pocket thing is great now
Your Right
I have done alot of research into this and there is so much to change the cost would be outrageous. Even Infiniti won't even touch it they say It can't be done
And now I am use to the twist to start and I did get a new FOB cause my original one had a missing button, my locksmith programmed both to the car now I have a spare of both key and FOB. I can spend alot less and get a nice Pioneer to replace my dead bose CD Changer at least I can listen to the radio
Thanks for the reality affirmation

Old 04-30-2016, 06:48 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
I have an 06 with the intelligent key system as well. I thought about this briefly, but it wouldn't just be plug and play in my opinion. You'd have to mess with the wiring and then if you need to get it rekeyed or something. Just wasn't worth the hassle for me.

I would go with a remote starter though, I installed one in my wife's Subaru prior to trading it in. I'm a little pissed about that, lol. But, look into the Fortin Evo-One, Nissan/Infiniti T-Harness, and their flash link updater. Whole system should be about 300 dollars and if you can follow directions or understand wiring digrams it's extremely doable.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:20 PM
I like the remote start

Originally Posted by coffeysm
I have an 06 with the intelligent key system as well. I thought about this briefly, but it wouldn't just be plug and play in my opinion. You'd have to mess with the wiring and then if you need to get it rekeyed or something. Just wasn't worth the hassle for me.

I would go with a remote starter though, I installed one in my wife's Subaru prior to trading it in. I'm a little pissed about that, lol. But, look into the Fortin Evo-One, Nissan/Infiniti T-Harness, and their flash link updater. Whole system should be about 300 dollars and if you can follow directions or understand wiring digrams it's extremely doable.
Yeah after thinking for a month about it, if it was plug and play no question
but that is definantly not the case.
I am going to upgrade the radio since my CD player does not work and not worth fixing
A DVD receiver would be great with nav and just put it on the big factory nav screen for DVD Audio Discs and video when I am parked I like the remote and will look into it
Thanks for the info
Have a great weekend
Cheers
Perry