Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with mosfet wiring (electrical engineers would be great)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 03:20 AM
Received 178 Likes on 140 Posts
need help with mosfet wiring (electrical engineers would be great)

so i am trying to wire up my remote start on my manual car. there is a neutral safety switch on the ecu to check if car is in gear. if car is in acc and in gear it gives battery voltage on this wire. if it is in neutral it gives a ground signal. HOWEVER if car is off and in gear it reads 1V and ground in neutral.

here in lies my problem. the car alarm has a ground detecting wire to check if car is in park on automatics and if i connect the neutral safety switch to this wire, the 1V when in gear is not enough to interrupt the start signal. the alarm does not go to acc first before starting the car, so it never gets the battery voltage on the ground detecting wire. it will attempt to start in gear.

what i am attempting to do is use the neutral safety wire signal to activate a mosfet that will run 12v signal from the battery to the alarm detecting signal. i dont know anything about mosfets or pull down resistors. can someone tell me if this will work? will the 1V be enough to activate the mosfet?

lol no back ground in this stuff. just trying to learn as i go. my friend suggested doing this but i havent heard back from him so i thought id post this up

Old 05-30-2016, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
^^^^
How do you plan to confirm the vehicle is in neutral or are you planning to remote start a manual transmission vehicle while it is in gear?

What about the status of the emergency brake?

You've got more engineering to do

Telcoman

Old 05-31-2016, 01:01 AM
there is a clutch neutral safety wire that goes to the ecu. when acc is on it reads battery voltage if in gear and ground if neutral. but like i said the problem is that my alarm when remote starting does not go to acc before sending signal to the start wire. and when the car is off the clutch neutral safety wire is only 1v and ground when neutral

i dont care about the emergency brake. as long as the car is not in gear is all that will be of concern for the remote start

but after disconnecting ecu this wire is now reading 3v when car off so i think i can use a pull up resistor and a diode and get this to function normally

Old 05-31-2016, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by .cakestar

i dont care about the emergency brake. as long as the car is not in gear is all that will be of concern for the remote start
Others might care if your "Rube Goldberg" remote start goes awry and rolls away and causes damage.

You may want to consider increasing your liability insurance.

Telcoman

Old 05-31-2016, 03:06 PM
but do you understand my reasoning? if it is in neutral its not going anywhere. if i remote start it in gear it would only lurch forward and stall anyway. plus since i have a manual my hand brake is always pulled up.. not sure if you are getting the whole picture

Old 05-31-2016, 07:49 PM
lol no mosfet was needed. got it all working. just needed to cut the wire to the ecu. put a diode on it and bam. we are good to go. no more remote starting in gear!

Old 05-31-2016, 09:11 PM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Glad you got it worked out, but I have a couple questions. Are you saying the car knows when it is in gear or just when the clutch pedal is depressed? Why not just connect the clutch pedal switch wires together so the car always thinks it's pedal is depressed (bypass the entire switch)? That's what people have been doing since remote starts first came out, then they just ground the P/N safety wire on the kit.
(I did this exact method on my old 5-speed BMW when I had a remote start in it. I never park it in gear, just e-brake so i never had any issues with it cranking in gear, and even if I did it immediately stops if detects any signal from the speedo)

Old 05-31-2016, 09:27 PM
because i didnt want a work around. yah when i was testing it i just grounded it but i want to keep this safety feature bec i am a total stickler for details lol. want it to function just like oem. to be honest i am probably never going to use it. i also dont park in gear unless i am on a hill. its just that the button is on the fob and the fact that the button does nothing would **** me off hahah.

also yes, there is a neutral safety wire. so the car knows when it is in gear and when it is in neutral. the clutch has its own pivot sensor.

for the start button on the alarm there is a sensor to detect if the brake is pressed down, i wanted it to function like oem so i actually tapped into the clutch pivot sensor so it senses the clutch being pressed to start the car. but the annoying thing about that is for the stock clutch pivot sensor it doesnt get power until it goes to acc bec you would turn the key in succession to start the car. on my aftermarket alarm it has a push start so it doesnt go through those steps, so i had to feed power to the line via the battery and then splice it back to the alarms negative side

Last edited by .cakestar; 05-31-2016 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:05 AM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
hmm, that does seem like an ordeal. Good info to know if/when I decide to get a remote start