Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Immobilizer Bypass / Spare Key Question for Remote Start and New Alarm Questions

Old 08-11-2016, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Immobilizer Bypass / Spare Key Question for Remote Start and New Alarm Questions

I'll be installing a new alarm on my G soon, and adding remote start. The cheapest immobilizer bypass modules I find appear to be the old-school style where you use a spare key.

I just so happen to have a key from my first G35 that I don't need. Would that work, or are all of the transponders different? I'm thinking that it would need to be programmed to the car, which in turn, means that one of the other immobilizer units might be a cheaper alternative.

Any thoughts?

For reference, I am thinking of adding the Clifford 5806X 2 way remote start. Adding the following accessories as well:

Dual Zone Motion Sensor 508D
Digital Tilt Sensor 507M
Interior Ultrasonic Sensor 509U
Backup Battery 520T
Power Window Roll-Up Module 529T

As a secondary question to this install....I currently have an old Clifford Matrix installed. It was put on by the previous owner, and has recently started acting up (hence the upgrade). It rolls my windows up when locking/arming the car, pops the trunk, and also has the Japanese Viper voice module.

Part of what is acting up is the driver side door....it is not locking, and window not always rolling up. Sometimes the window actually gets stuck down, and won't roll up with the switch, either. I am also putting new switches on the driver side just in case that is the issue with that. Motor and actuator seem fine, as the DO lock and roll up and down, just not all the time.

But I digress on that...my main point is, the voice module and window control module would be able to be used for my new system, right? Will already having a Clifford make installing this myself an easier task (having never installed an alarm). I have done almost everything else on a car, just never an alarm system.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Ready2Play; 08-30-2016 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
I used a directed electronics module that didn't use the other key. This is 2016, not 2002. There are plenty of units to go with that don't require your key.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
I used a directed electronics module that didn't use the other key. This is 2016, not 2002. There are plenty of units to go with that don't require your key.
Yeah, I am aware...but there are several reasons I am considering the old-school approach...most important being cost. Not only did I just have a baby, and need to be restrictive about what I spend on my toys, but I am also currently out of work. The car is about to come out of my brothers pain shop all nice and pretty, and a working alarm is going to be priority on it when it does. A $20 difference normally wouldn't seem like much, but in my current situation, it is (hence why I'd also like to do the install myself)

Old 08-30-2016, 04:14 PM
bump

Old 08-31-2016, 09:49 AM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
I would just buy an Evo-One it's about 130 bucks. You can also buy their T-harness to reduce the number of splices required. You'd probably have to buy a remote start keyfob though depending on what year your car is. The Evo-One is a bypass and remote starter all in one unit that also supports tons of accessories. You can also look at the Evo-All, which is like 60 dollars and just bypass unit.

I put one in my wife's Subaru before trading it in and it was pretty awesome.