Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need ideas for Nav replacement/wiring with existing aftermarket unit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 08:16 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Need ideas for Nav replacement/wiring with existing aftermarket unit

New to the G. Purchased a 03 Sedan after leaving the world of Mustangs. I do have close to 20 years tinkering with cars but once I finished everything in my 03 Mustang GT I never really had to fix or modify the same thing again.

My 03 has a newish model 2015-2016 single din Pioneer and a factory dead Nav system.

I'm a see and learn from experience guy. Mostly everything I've done on my own in the past. Meaning when I tackled the Mach 460 system in the Mustang. The main thing was seeing what the factory system/wiring all looked liked and purchased all of the correct connectors/adapters and doing it all myself.

So since I'm going to a used car with someone elses work, I don't know whats used with what behind the dash. Meaning does this connector have wires going to this and this connector is used with that,

This car has a component system in front and 2 speakers in the rear correct. 6 total speakers and 1 sub mounted in rear deck if factory Bose was installed and kept over the years? Correct

My experience in the past is a aftermarket headunit uses 4 channels and a sub output. The 4 channels come with a Low pass filter. My worry is if the Pioneer was wired amateurish with full sound going into the factory front component. Meaning bass going into the tweeter or whatever. I don't want to rewire the whole car but I refuse to have things in place that are wrong. I know it sounds impossible but for 10 years from 02-2012 my 1 car never broke down. I preventative maintence and signs of failure prevented this. I fixed what needed to be fixed before it failed and life was easy never leaving me stranded or having something broken. I spoiled myself.

So if you guys can help. How was the factory head unit wired. Did the tweeters and mids in the front have their own channels or were there built in cross overs in the factory head unit. I know when I utilitex my factory wiring with aftermarket Pioneer in my Mustang it required 3 total Metra connectors and was a nightmare to install everything correctly.

What routes would you guys go with Navigation to replace the broken factory unit. Since the factory unit is dead I'm wondering if there is any type of certain adapter needed to swap in some type of new unit. Easier is obviously better and I hope the aftermarket is friendly for me.

Thanks in advance

PS. I'm not a noob in the world of anything but I'm new to this car. Not looking for crazy priced scenarios either.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:45 AM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
WreatherNut I think his name is has a WHOLE thread on audio for the G. I would search out his thread and it probably has all the info you need.

The stock setup head unit with Bose doesn't amplify it at all everything goes to the amp in the trunk and then comes back out if I remember correctly. I did the following with my Bose setup: put a DDIN in, replaced speakers with 2 ohms, tied them into existing wiring, and then put a LOC when I had a separate sub. I did it seven years ago, so I probably left out some things that need to be done as well. It wasn't relatively hard or overly expensive though.

Last edited by coffeysm; 08-29-2016 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:51 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeysm
WratherNut I think his name is has a WHOLE thread on audio for the G. I would search out his name, if you have the Bose and it was kept. Then the head unit does not put out any signal and it goes to the amp. I have an aftermarket setup in my car w/Bose and all I did was rip out the paper speakers, put in some 2 ohm speakers, and tied into the existing wiring. When I had a separate sub, I used a line out converter with the wires coming out or before the Bose amp (If I remember correctly) I did this about 7 years ago.
I here ya on the 7 years ago thing. I remember doing a full audio/video system in my friends Cadillac DTS 7 years ago but can't remember any details to it.

What are most people doing with the broken Nav unit. Leaving it in place as a dead space? Converting to storage or some custom setup. I already have a aftermarket unit without Nav or Vid so I would love to add Nav or Vid. I just don't want to tackle it blind without suggestions. I'll search for that link.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:10 AM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Swaglife81
I here ya on the 7 years ago thing. I remember doing a full audio/video system in my friends Cadillac DTS 7 years ago but can't remember any details to it.

What are most people doing with the broken Nav unit. Leaving it in place as a dead space? Converting to storage or some custom setup. I already have a aftermarket unit without Nav or Vid so I would love to add Nav or Vid. I just don't want to tackle it blind without suggestions. I'll search for that link.
I don't really know what people are doing with the Nav unit. When I bought my car I didn't want to spend the extra money for Nav. I've been debating upgrading my head unit again, but don't want to spend the extra money, lol.

I did put a AppRadio 3 in my Audi A4 and I use ChromeCast to display my phone to it. I then do everything on my phone via the head unit. I want to do the same thing with my G, but don't want to spend the money for another AppRadio, lol.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:39 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
This thread here: https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ment-info.html

is going to be of more use to you.

I've currently just put black ABS plastic and black felt in the nav screen space, and run a USB cable to it so that I can place my phone in there and have it charge. It's pretty good, but you need something to keep the phone from flying out when you take off from a light.

I'm not sure if the 03 screen is the same dimensions, but it should give you an idea of how to wire up.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 08-29-2016 at 09:44 PM.