Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some input on dual single din units

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 04:54 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Need some input on dual single din units

Anybody that knows there stuff with audio and video.

2003.5 G35 Sedan AT5 premium with factory Bose and Nav (not sure if Bose is still integrated) Current installation is a JDM unit. Previous owner installed a single din Pioneer with pocket under the unit.

Factory Nav screen removed
Factory Nav controls still in place

Needs and wants

I want to have a single unit for audio and also have a second unit a pop up screen above that single unit for GPS and video. Pop up screen will cover AC controls when turned on. Than I want install a 6-7 inch tablet in the old nav location. Size opening currently is 6x3 3/4 so a 6 inch should be perfect.

Nothing is in writing yet but the key is to be able to use GPS or video while I don't upset music play. I want it simultaneously if need be. For non wasted space I will throw the tablet in the old nav location since the fit is almost perfect. Maybe run a obd2 app or stream something on the tablet screen not sure. I will have extra space in the old DVD location from the old nav reciever

Since the early 90's I have installed all kinds of car audio systems,basic TV setups, nothing customized like a magazine or something. So how do I wire up 2 head units with 1 being my "main audio unit" and the other not turn off audio. Like let's say once in a blue moon I want to watch a vid on the pop-up unit above my audio unit but I actually do want sound.

Wrathernaut and some other guys im sure are experts on this topic and again nothing is in stone but I really want the options without having to depend on 1 sole double din headunit

Old 09-25-2016, 12:20 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Most of this info should help with what to do with the navigation space:
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ment-info.html

I don't think they changed all that much from the 03's to the 05's for what you'd be doing.

If you want two headunits, one not producing audio, you just run ground wire, switched and constant power to the non-audio unit (you may need to up the fuse rating). Run from the RCA outputs on the GPS/Video system to the rear AUX inputs on the audio unit, and connect the audio unit as usual from the radio install guide I put together.

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (09-26-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 12:18 AM
I hope this isn't breaking rules but since I have the nav working and everything seems good with the unit, I might as well sell it on here or eBay. Should I piece it out or sell it as a whole? What's a good selling price that will sell?

Thanks for your help. I'm gonna use the 5 volt wire from nav screen to power USB and just use a tablet in place of the nav screen inside that housing. Have you confirmed the back of the pop up needs to be opened up to receive good signals/GPS reception? I will need to open the unit a tad more, I need some type of bezel for the tablet like what comes with a head unit install. Something to make it clean. I do want that to have audio. So I guess same wiring aside from the 5volt to USB I'm gonna wire up. While I'm in there I need to hardwire a radar detector also. So should I go with some protection since I will have 3 sources on the one 12 volt behind the radio? I'm not the most experiences fabricater here. Is there anyone that makea guage pods for our radio console. Something that use the old nav button area or ashtray?

Old 09-29-2016, 12:58 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Swaglife81
I hope this isn't breaking rules but since I have the nav working and everything seems good with the unit, I might as well sell it on here or eBay. Should I piece it out or sell it as a whole? What's a good selling price that will sell?

Thanks for your help. I'm gonna use the 5 volt wire from nav screen to power USB and just use a tablet in place of the nav screen inside that housing. Have you confirmed the back of the pop up needs to be opened up to receive good signals/GPS reception? I will need to open the unit a tad more, I need some type of bezel for the tablet like what comes with a head unit install. Something to make it clean. I do want that to have audio. So I guess same wiring aside from the 5volt to USB I'm gonna wire up. While I'm in there I need to hardwire a radar detector also. So should I go with some protection since I will have 3 sources on the one 12 volt behind the radio? I'm not the most experiences fabricater here. Is there anyone that makea guage pods for our radio console. Something that use the old nav button area or ashtray?
Just check what they're going on eBay, no idea what they're worth.

I recommend using a 12v to USB adapter, mainly because if you get a fastcharge 2.0/3.0 unit, you're going to be able to charge much faster with it than going straight 5v to a USB plug.

For trim around the tablet, you can just get some thin black ABS plastic, which can be cut by scissors, razor blade, or if you want to get fancy, laser engraving places can take care of it too.

I've tried with and without the metal in the back, and there's a definite decrease in GPS reception.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Just check what they're going on eBay, no idea what they're worth.

I recommend using a 12v to USB adapter, mainly because if you get a fastcharge 2.0/3.0 unit, you're going to be able to charge much faster with it than going straight 5v to a USB plug.

For trim around the tablet, you can just get some thin black ABS plastic, which can be cut by scissors, razor blade, or if you want to get fancy, laser engraving places can take care of it too.

I've tried with and without the metal in the back, and there's a definite decrease in GPS reception.
Thanks. I'm glad your around, your knowledge on these cars is like me on modular mustangs. I know these cars aren't new anymore but for a 10-14 year old car it's pretty damn good. Alot better than 10-15 year old cars were 10 years or so ago.

I'm really active with this car, nothing crazy but I wished these forums were more active to be honest.

Old 10-07-2016, 05:54 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
If you'd been here 5-10 years ago this place was hopping. Even though the quality/quantity of membership has declined which was to be expected Driver's still the premiere resource for G35's on the Internet. But you're right about Wrather, he's a blessing around these here parts.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:50 PM
I see some people are at least still active.

While on the subject. I've been chasing a charging issue. Think it's a bad cell in a 6 month old battery but my dumbass friend while I was inside the car decided to accidently reverse positive negative wires jumping my car off. My radio fuse blew and Pioneer will not power on.

So I'm forces to now do the sound system Asap. I decided to go normal head unit and tablet in nav location. Easy no issues there. I want to have a better than normal sound stage. Meaning not just throw on 6.5 components and rear door coaxial. I'm debating maybe midrange powered drivers in rear door or in kick panels along with a front door component. Im more of the guy that sets up a digital time correction for a proper front stage rather than the guy that just throws in some speakers. Anybody have opinions of speaker locations besides factory locations routing only. Maybe 2 pairs of 6.5 components. I don't want to experiment and have wasted money but I like to do things once. So hopefully the sound guru's will chime in.

Again ideas midrange in rear doors or kick panels and or tweeters in kick panels along with a good set of 6.5 components in the front doors. Maybe a midranges in the rear deck somehow. I think people limit there possibilities looking at only woofer and tweeter setups. So much important sound in music comes from midrange and it's not just mid bass.

Old 10-16-2016, 01:47 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Swaglife81
I see some people are at least still active.

While on the subject. I've been chasing a charging issue. Think it's a bad cell in a 6 month old battery but my dumbass friend while I was inside the car decided to accidently reverse positive negative wires jumping my car off. My radio fuse blew and Pioneer will not power on.

So I'm forces to now do the sound system Asap. I decided to go normal head unit and tablet in nav location. Easy no issues there. I want to have a better than normal sound stage. Meaning not just throw on 6.5 components and rear door coaxial. I'm debating maybe midrange powered drivers in rear door or in kick panels along with a front door component. Im more of the guy that sets up a digital time correction for a proper front stage rather than the guy that just throws in some speakers. Anybody have opinions of speaker locations besides factory locations routing only. Maybe 2 pairs of 6.5 components. I don't want to experiment and have wasted money but I like to do things once. So hopefully the sound guru's will chime in.

Again ideas midrange in rear doors or kick panels and or tweeters in kick panels along with a good set of 6.5 components in the front doors. Maybe a midranges in the rear deck somehow. I think people limit there possibilities looking at only woofer and tweeter setups. So much important sound in music comes from midrange and it's not just mid bass.
Front soundstage.

Good components up front and subwoofer typically in the trunk, since that's where you have room for a proper box.

No speakers in the rear - when you're at a concert, the band's in front of you, not them in front with slightly poorer-sounding clones of them playing behind you. Unless you're listening to music from a DVD/Blu-Ray that's mastered in surround sound, you're going to get the best sound from a 2.1 setup. Unless you get good temporal balancing to use the rear speakers to simulate a large acoustic space, you're just muddying up the soundstage.

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (10-16-2016)