Budget Modding 101: DIY and Photoshoot Inside (Painting OEM Wheels)

Old 02-22-2007, 12:46 AM
Modded Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yes-zer
I tried this and messed my wheels up(DAMN IT)still can here my wife.. Yours looks great. Is that a DIY lift kit? LOL....
Sorry, I should have put a disclaimer...

Old 02-22-2007, 12:52 AM
Modded Member
Originally Posted by machavez702
Good to see you're not totally abandoning the crew, Boris. I'm guessing you're gettin your mod fix with other cars to keep from putting your hands on the M until it's time.
Calcul8: The wheels look good, nothing like a slight color/body change to alter your look without changing the "oem" appearance. It will look great after the drop, watch out 'cause you'll be well on your way to spending more than $100 a pop on mods after that. You've been warned.
I'll never abandon the G35 crew- I've spent so much time wrenching on G35's the last couple years that it's so natural now.

Besides, working on the M3 is so tough. I put in my new muffler, midpipes, and cat-delete pipes and had to use every socket from 11mm-18mm to get them off, and make 3 seperate runs to the speciality tools store by my house to pick up some odd sockets to complete the job. The G35 exhaust system requires just a 14mm socket. WTF? I'll be wrenching on the M3 again next week when my new suspension setup comes in. Then, we'll do another round of mods on Calcul8's car in the form of OEM 350z suspension (shocks/springs/sways) and some more DIY painting for the chrome door moldings and door trim.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What a junky! I'm surprised you didn't have to buy some BMW tools to do the job. You're probably spending more time in your garage than in your house. You need a hydraulic lift.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:58 AM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by vodkarocket
I'll never abandon the G35 crew- I've spent so much time wrenching on G35's the last couple years that it's so natural now.

Besides, working on the M3 is so tough. I put in my new muffler, midpipes, and cat-delete pipes and had to use every socket from 11mm-18mm to get them off, and make 3 seperate runs to the speciality tools store by my house to pick up some odd sockets to complete the job. The G35 exhaust system requires just a 14mm socket. WTF? I'll be wrenching on the M3 again next week when my new suspension setup comes in. Then, we'll do another round of mods on Calcul8's car in the form of OEM 350z suspension (shocks/springs/sways) and some more DIY painting for the chrome door moldings and door trim.
LOL!! i take it you're having fun with that good ol' German engineering now Boris?!?! HAHA!! those damn German's didnt think about actually having to work on the car before they made em, i'd expect more for a $50k car.
-GP-

Old 02-22-2007, 01:08 AM
Modded Member
What a junky! I'm surprised you didn't have to buy some BMW tools to do the job. You're probably spending more time in your garage than in your house. You need a hydraulic lift.
Just trying to get my daily fix. I've actually been considering a scissor lift for my garage since I'm going to be spending days tuning my new suspension to the perfect dampening settings and spring rates.

BTW, it's 2007 now. When's the boost coming?

Old 02-22-2007, 01:10 AM
Modded Member
Originally Posted by Gdup35sedan
LOL!! i take it you're having fun with that good ol' German engineering now Boris?!?! HAHA!! those damn German's didnt think about actually having to work on the car before they made em, i'd expect more for a $50k car.
-GP-
Seriously. They thought it would be perfect out of the box with no need to mod. Who the fvck were they kidding? And I've gotta buy tools I can't even describe to complete what otherwise would be a simple installation.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:10 AM
My coffee shop opens next week so I don't have to spend any more money on that. Now I'll have a little extra income. My plan is to redo the stereo in the next 2 months, cruise around through summer while I buy a shop truck. Then I'll turn her in for some MAJOR modding at the end of summer.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:13 AM
Modded Member
My coffee shop opens next week so I don't have to spend any more money on that. Now I'll have a little extra income. My plan is to redo the stereo in the next 2 months, cruise around through summer while I buy a shop truck. Then I'll turn her in for some MAJOR modding at the end of summer.
I totally forgot about that; I'm glad it's finally coming to fruition. Best of luck to you and the wifey on your grand opening. You should bring some thermos' with different brews to the meet. 9AM on Saturday is early!!!

Old 02-22-2007, 01:14 AM
How bout some beans?

Old 02-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Very nice Boris. We need more good DIY's like this on here to help the guys out.

My friend Aaron just got the CF trunk lid with the molded wing for his M3. It's very nice. I'm thinking about making a molded wing like that for my car.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by G35stilez
Boris: You are a nut!

I think it looks great with the rear emblem tying it all in. How about a gloss black front grille?

do you think this could be done with the 06 sport package wheels? like the ones seen on G35stilez avatar?

Old 05-19-2009, 12:12 AM
Old 05-19-2009, 12:23 AM
^top pic looks just like the G in this video

I want my black wheels to look like those, they used 2 layers of clear. "one with fine metallic and another with heavy metallic". Looks hotttt

These are mine, I think ill do the metallic clear like the vid before I slap these on for the winter..problem is I have no idea how the metallic clear business works XD

Old 05-19-2009, 12:54 AM
mine dont have any metallic in it... but the wheel in that video looks a lot like mine

Old 05-19-2009, 01:02 AM
haha you both got good taste then!

Can anyone shed any light on how the whole metallic clear coat works? Do autobodys that offer painting do this? I honestly have no clue on this and I want to get that done ASAP

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Budget Modding 101: DIY and Photoshoot Inside (Painting OEM Wheels)