DIY: OEM Emblem-less Grill

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 05:47 PM
a.k.a kleicoupe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigc
marcus used a silver spray paint (duplicolor i think) and i used killer chrome. we both used a few coats of duplicolor sandable primer and duplicolor black basecoats.
How does the chrome compare to the OEM color?

Old 04-26-2008, 06:04 PM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
OEM is more of a black chrome whereas any spray you get will be much brighter. you can get very good results with killer chrome - but the prep work has to be dead-on or it have more of a metallic look as opposed to a chrome

Old 04-27-2008, 08:33 PM
<--12 More Years

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I thought I will share a bit on mine so far. Finally I had some time to work on this project since I bought my donor grill from IrockAG35 about 2 months ago. Then, this thread came along and inspired me, so I decided to get to work. I used two grills to make one with the bumps since it didn't know how to mold them. Crappy cell pic for now, I have better ones on my other cam but I don't have the usb cable for it now. Anyways, it still needs to be primer,paint,coated. I want the closes possible to the OEM color so I think will order the Killer Chrome tomorrow, unless anybody can suggest something better. Now my question for the paint:
Can I just the killer chrome can, and use regular primer and coat? Or do I have to spend the 100 bucks for the killer chrome kit ?
I will post better pics once it gets painted

Attached Thumbnails DIY: OEM Emblem-less Grill-grillredg.jpg  
Old 04-27-2008, 09:03 PM
Wings Nation

looks good man. as for the killer chrome, its quite expensive and you could argue that a regular old silver is good enough. anyway, if you decide to go that route, you really only need the chrome and clearcoat - u don't need their black basecoat.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:15 AM
i also decided to jump into this project this weekend. i followed the diy instructions and got all the neccessary equipment. i have a coupe but did not get the extra support that they wrote up was optional (that carpet trim stuff). i do not think that this extra support is needed because my bondo is pretty much indestructable and could not ever imagine it breaking.

from the get go i didnt really think i could pull this project off. just cutting the foamboard and getting it to fit the areas properly wasnt all that easy. then when i saw how small the holes were to fit the bondo in i didnt see how it could work, but i went on anyway. i mixed some bondo up and just started to try to fill the hole in as fast as possible, this was not easy at all. after i got the bondo all put in i was very nervous that i didnt get enough in there and that there was going to be some air pockets. I let it dry for the recommended 5 minutes and tried to remove the foamboard. The bondo did actually stick to most of the foam so this made it a real pain in the a$$. I would definitely recommend using that tape suggestion that is on page 2.
After all of that I let it set over night. I am still in the process of sanding it down into the perfect shape but found that there weren't many air holes and that the bondo really filled in well and seems very sturdy. I just applied the glaze/puddy bondo and need to sand that down then onto the paint.
Will have pics up afterward. Thanks for the DIY.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:28 PM
<--12 More Years

Originally Posted by bigc
looks good man. as for the killer chrome, its quite expensive and you could argue that a regular old silver is good enough. anyway, if you decide to go that route, you really only need the chrome and clearcoat - u don't need their black basecoat.
Thanks I decided to go the killer chrome route, but I called Alsa to order and they have been backed order for two months. Lucky they gave me the # to a local distributor that ordered and should have it for me tomorrow. Let see if they come through and I can get this painted already. I'm tired of driving with no grill.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the DIY guys

im going to be attempting it on an extra 03-04 sedan grill i just picked up.

just wondering if anyone has done an emblem delete on an 03-04 ? id love to see some pictures

Old 05-01-2008, 11:31 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 335 Likes on 187 Posts
got my grill only its already painted and its being a bitch coming off lol

Old 05-01-2008, 12:57 PM
so I finished my sanding and proceeded onto the painting. I put on 3 coats of primer, 4 coats of gloss black, then 3 coats of clear. I am noticeing that the bondo part of the grill actual has a lot more shine to it than the rest of the grill. Has anyone else experienced this?

Old 05-01-2008, 01:04 PM
Wings Nation

did you sand down and prime the entire grill? there shouldn't be much of a difference in the finish.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:24 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
paint absorption/setup on metal and bondo are going to be slightly different. This is what you are probably seeing. I agree with bigc that more primer would lessen this effect

Old 05-01-2008, 01:40 PM
yep sanded it all down a pretty good amount but still see a difference in shine. I guess what you could take from this is to definitely add a couple extra coats of primer, because I used 3 pretty good coats. I think I'm going to wind up going with my setup now and maybe by the end of the summer sand it down again and repaint. Also I spent a lot of time sanding and trying to get the bondo perfect but it was very difficult, any suggestions?

Old 05-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Wings Nation

its really hard to get the regular bondo to look perfect. their glazing & spot filler should do the trick for you though - it will fill in any small imperfections and provide a more even surface.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 335 Likes on 187 Posts
man i cant wait to finish mine

Old 05-01-2008, 02:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
great info and write-ups. i'd love to see the end product with the original chrome finish. anyone know where they can get this done at? i'm assuming the chrome-in-a-can is going to look like poop.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY: OEM Emblem-less Grill