DIY: Driver's seat creaking fix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 01:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DIY: Driver's seat creaking fix

My driver's side seat was popping and creaking extremely loud on slow turns and when exiting the vehicle. There is a TSB out there to replace seat tracks, hardware, etc., but I didn't want to go through the dealer for just a noise issue and them possibly telling me it's all in my head. I previously took the seat cover off and sprayed lube at all the pivots and bolts that looked like they might move with the shifting of weight. I also noticed the noise was more prominent with the seat (lowered) all the way down. The creaking almost went away completely after I sprayed the pivot that moves when the rear of the seat is actuated (lifted) up. The creaking has come back but it is very, very slight and took about a year to return. This time, I'm hitting it with a concoction of WD-40 and white lithium grease. I think the liquid lube works great but the grease will help it stick a little better and last even longer. Regardless, a yearly PM on your seats that takes this quick shouldn't be anything to complain about. I had originally planned on mixing PB Blaster and graphite powder but decided to just use what I had around the house. Hopefully this cures 90% of the noise for you guys and won't have to buy new seat rails/pivots from the dealer. I know this is very simple but common sense dictates you proceed at your own risk as I am not liable for any consequential property damage, medical costs, lost wages, etc. If this works, positive feedback would be appreciated. If it doesn't, post up some info and we'll try to figure something out.

Approximate time to complete: 20 minutes

Tools:
WD-40
White lithium grease
Small paintbrush
Mixing cup
Phillips screwdriver
Small flat head screwdriver (optional)

Slide the seat so it is mostly toward the rear of it's travel. Remove the 2 front screws for the seat cover.

There is a plug along the bottom at the rear of the seat cover that just pops down. If you have trouble getting it, you can try the small flat head screwdriver to pry it out.

Now actuate the seat almost completely forward. Gently separate the seat cover halves at the tabs. There are about 3 or 4 of them and they're all located near the rear of the cover.

Here is what I wi-hipped up (Family Guy reference). You'll want it pretty runny so the liquid lube will carry the grease into the harder-to-reach areas.

Apply said concoction to all of the circled areas. The green circle is the pivot that, in my opinion, is the main culprit. The blue areas are where a bar mounts onto the frame so I dabbed grease to see if it works its way between the bar and frame. The red circles are studs that protrude up from the seat rails so I dabbed the threads and nuts. After you apply grease to all the spots, actuate all the switches several times to work the grease into their areas and re-apply to the pivot (while the rear of the seat is all the way up). Touch up any other areas you deem necessary as well.

Put the seat back to the position you drive in and rock from side to side to check for any creaking. Repeat if necessary. Reassemble once satisfactory results are achieved.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
thanks for the TIP! My sedan drivers seat just started the "Creaking" & its driving me MFNUTS

Old 05-07-2013, 04:43 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
hate to bring up an old thread but how'd this work out for you? Was it a lasting fix?

Old 08-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
got this issue too now, I am gonna try this right away

Old 08-10-2013, 04:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Worked like a charm thanks also the 06 seat has less nuts.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worked excellent on g35 coupe 03, I used (spray) white lithium grease (works better) only on the seat holder nuts. Noise went away completely.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:57 PM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
I'm gonna have to do this..

Old 07-18-2016, 05:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bump for those that could use this! Just took out the front seat and spray bombed everything with wd40 x white lithium combo and the noise seems to have gone away.

thanks!

Old 07-06-2018, 02:28 PM
wow awesome fix, thanks!

Old 07-06-2018, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
I did this on mine a year ago And it's still working great. I'd recommend silicone spray for best long term without leaving obvious residue (white lithium).

Old 02-18-2024, 08:14 PM
N/A
I had bookmarked this post a few months ago. Now I have time, to try this on my squeaky driver's seat. Yet when I re-visit this post, the pictures are gone! (Thanks Photobucket). Did anyone have these pictures saved, or can help out? Please let me know, thanks!