DIY: Spring Install Only

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great! i can use this DIY now ..they have one on the Z forums but it doesnt have pics..so i'd rather jus do it from this one..i'll let u guys know how it went...oh plus the guy on the Z forums said to have a power gun to get things done fast..but from what i see in the pictures..it looks like there isnt really any space to use it..just except for the rims and maybe the strut cap..

Old 02-20-2010, 12:53 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Where the impact gun really saves time is with the spring compressors. I didn't have the correct impact socket so I ended up doing that with a socket wrench. I recommend breaking the strut top nut loose before removing the strut.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Just buy an adapter ot two for your drill so you can use a 3/8" or 1/2" socket on it. It's very inexpensive and you'll use it all the time. It makes taking off the lower engine cover about 1000 times easier. Obviously it won't have the same torque as an air gun, but for the spring compression it's just fine. I think there's a DIY video on infinitihelp.com or YouTube and they're using a cordless drill.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:45 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I think you are talking about this video:

http://www.infinitihelp.com/diy/gsed..._procedure.htm

They are using a cordless impact gun. Drills aren't designed for the kind of torque you need for the spring compressor. I would think it would put a lot of wear on a drill motor.

Just my two cents!

Old 02-20-2010, 10:17 PM
oohhh i see what u mean..but i mean theres also different spring compressors..at my friends shop he has one that has a stand and a wheel that you rotate yourself to compress the spring..i'll try to askem if i can borrow it from him.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by brandon1978
I think you are talking about this video:

http://www.infinitihelp.com/diy/gsed..._procedure.htm

They are using a cordless impact gun. Drills aren't designed for the kind of torque you need for the spring compressor. I would think it would put a lot of wear on a drill motor.

Just my two cents!
I forgot it was an impact, I haven't watched that video in a while. FWIW, a good 19.2V cordless has quite a bit of torque. And the motor can probably take that strain. It's not like it's under a huge load for an extended time period. It's worth a try anyway, I know that's what I'm going to try first when I finally get around to dropping my car a little bit.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im looking to do a spring install in the near future and was looking for recommendations for a decently prices spring compressor.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:24 AM
You can probably rent one instead of buying. I know my local Advanced Auto Parts rents equipment for free. I'm going to rent their brake bleeding kit when I upgrade my brakes this spring. I give them the $50 cost/deposit, and it's refunded when I return the kit.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:22 AM
ok im was working on this earlier today i know its late now but i had stuff to do to save it for tomorrow..but i really had trouble with the bottom bolt of the struth..the one that connects to the lower arm...OMG! its soo tough to get out!..i accidently dethreaded it or however you call it..so im going to cut it off tomorrow and buy the nut and bolt again..but i bought some PB blaster which should help for the other side,, i decided to do the front first since it looked alot harder then the rear so..i'll be done tomorrow let you guys know how it went..

Old 02-23-2010, 04:40 AM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
I ran into the same issue when I tried to do mine, see my earlier post. I plan to get a breaker bar and some better sockets to tackle this again soon. Will need some muscle lol. Are you doing springs only or full swap? Let us know how it goes.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:56 AM
Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts
If you have a couple $ around and do not have a compressor, pick-up a cordless impact wrench from your local snap-on guy or Lowe's/Home Depot have them.(1/2" drive) I keep one in my truck at all time and it really comes in handy.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:21 PM
OMG! im so done with doing this myself! after trying all day i kept running into problems so i put everything back and didnt end up doing it..i bought my car used idk if they had bolted everything back on themselves but everything was super tight..the bold on the strut cap is where i left off..it is impossible to get it out without scratching the nut..its abnormally tight on there.. i tried every angle to get it out lubricant pb blast i even took it to a shop that had a air power impact gun and it still wouldnt budge..i'm gonna have to buy new shocks and break the bolt off my stock ones to do this install..i was already considering buying some tokicos anyway..so yea im soo frustrated with this ugh

Old 03-01-2010, 02:49 AM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Did the fronts

Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
Are you unable to get the nut off the lower bolt? Or are you unable to remove the bolt from the lower part of the shock/strut? Either way, I wouldn't take off the upper bolts until you've got the lower out. It's just going to make the shock/strut flop around. I would, however, lift the suspension a little bit so it's not fully extended. You can use a jack or even a piece of 4x4.

You're probably going to need a breaker bar of some sort for the nut, and possibly an extension on that. A regular socket wrench won't cut it. I'd spray it first with lock-eaze or WD-40 and let it soak for a bit. Suspension parts are torqued pretty high. If you got the nut off, but can't get the bolt out, you can put 2 nuts on the end of the bolt, with one of them not all the way on, and hit that (gently) with a hammer until it starts to back out. Then take the nuts off and remove the bolt. Or get a thick punch and use that on the end of the bolt. Just don't go crazy with the hammering so you don't damage the bolt or the strut.
Thanks for the suggestions. I got back on this today with a breaker bar and a different socket, finally I got the nut to break loose. The socket I used was the ones for impact guns / removing lug nuts, which can break loose the nut with high torque without striping the nut. Everything was nice and smooth after that. It feels really good to have this done myself, couldn't have done it without the DIY. I'll do the rear shocks soon.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:35 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
would this work on a 2007 g35X sedan? judging from the pics, everything seems to be similar with minor differences. Would i be able to work off this DIY for my car? thanks.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts
It's pretty much the same install.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Spring Install Only