best BBK bang for buck?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 04:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for all the help guys.. i just blew a rotor the other day.. didnt even know they were worn down yet..

Old 01-27-2009, 04:38 PM
figure im gonna spend a pretty penny on new rotors and pads.. so i should just do an upgrade anyways.. always looking for an excuse to upgrade..

Old 01-27-2009, 05:03 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by sheplex02
i have a base 2005 G35 coupe and my brakes are shot.. im about to get my tax return and am not sure what the best deal would be.. i hate the looks and performance of my OEMs..

what would be my best increase in braking performance while not spending $6k???

i dont wanna keep my calipers so its either:

OEM BREMBO kit w/ upgraded pads, rotors and lines

or

OEM G37S kit w/ upgraded pads, rotors and lines

or

Ksport BBK(most expensive outta my bunch at $4k)

Have you seen these yet? https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes/...-06-sedan.html

The best part is you can bet parts at any Infiniti or NISSAN Dealer.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
My memory says the oem Brembos were 60-0 in around 110-115 ft.

What did the G37 Akebonos do?

106ft 60-0 on the heavier g37. Reason stands it would be less on the lighter G35 and 350Z.

I personally bought the g37 brakes and powder coated them. They will be installed on thursday. I also have the upgraded Project Mu Pads and stoptech stainless lines with Motul 600 fluid.

At this point, I will argue my G37 brakes will look and perform as well if not better than ANY other BBK on the market while still keeping $2k + in my pocket.

My only issue is the weight of the front rotors which I will admit is a lot. I will be swapping those out for the lighter 2pc rotors made by stoptech once they come out which should be within 2weeks or so.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It would if they were available. ARe they available?
Coz at concept z should have them in 2-3 weeks hopefully.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:34 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Great info. Would you have a link to that? ie.. mag review? But you're correct, even if it matched the performance, it would prove that they are very capable even on the heavier car. I think the new Gs still have the RE050s too?

With a rotor dia of 14" in front, I'd guess they would make a great track setup also.

Post again when StopTech has those 2 pc units.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:46 PM
Dont have a direct link, but it was in the Motor Trend review of the G37S.... I researched digging through my past issues before I pulled the trigger on these about a month ago.

It taken so long between purchasing them, waiting on them being shipped (by Donkey it seemed like) to recieving them and having them powder coated and my own travel plans. They will finally be on by this friday at which point I will post a full review with Pics.
Yes, Im a lil excited.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by Omeezy
I personally bought the g37 brakes and powder coated them. They will be installed on thursday.
Do you have pics? Who performed the powder coating and how much?

Old 01-27-2009, 11:23 PM
There are a lot of worthy big brake kits out there The AP Racing brakes are great, the Stop Techs are ok sometimes, anything from K Sport sucks, period.

But if you are looking for bang for the buck, I think you would be hard pressed to beat the quality and price of the Megan Racing big brake kit front and rear. Or better yet the version of this BBK from Relentless Autosports with the upgraded pads and brake lines, and your choice of colors. Remember this version of this brakes are track tested and look great.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:30 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Exscweeze me? Did anyone check out the link from Coz that I posted?

Old 01-27-2009, 11:32 PM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by 4MeUwill
There are a lot of worthy big brake kits out there The AP Racing brakes are great, the Stop Techs are ok sometimes, anything from K Sport sucks, period.

But if you are looking for bang for the buck, I think you would be hard pressed to beat the quality and price of the Megan Racing big brake kit front and rear. Or better yet the version of this BBK from Relentless Autosports with the upgraded pads and brake lines, and your choice of colors. Remember this version of this brakes are track tested and look great.
Exactly what makes one bbk kit better than the other? There is very little (if any) quanitifiable data on any of these kits.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:53 PM
Exactly what makes one bbk kit better than the other? There is very little (if any) quanitifiable data on any of these kits.
If you mean, very little "quantifiable" data then you are correct. A big brake kits purpose (other than looking good for some people) is that of repeatable use under stress with minimal amount of fade. They are supposed to disperse greater amounts of heat quicker than smaller stock brakes and hopefully allow for much longer pad use, since they are bigger and make lighter work of stopping and slowing down the car.

So in that case I have seen some big brake kits do better than others in one form or another in daily driving and in track use.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:05 AM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by 4MeUwill
If you mean, very little "quantifiable" data then you are correct. A big brake kits purpose (other than looking good for some people) is that of repeatable use under stress with minimal amount of fade. They are supposed to disperse greater amounts of heat quicker than smaller stock brakes and hopefully allow for much longer pad use, since they are bigger and make lighter work of stopping and slowing down the car.

So in that case I have seen some big brake kits do better than others in one form or another in daily driving and in track use.
I'm familiar with the theory behind the "benefits" of a BBK. I was wondering if you actually had a theory as to why some are "better" than others based on construction/design. Because no one has been able to come up with anything than their basic opinion on the matter.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:00 AM
G37 brake upgrade should be the best bang for buck.
The Akebono caliper is much bigger than OEM brembo.
Then upgrade to a aftermarket 2pc rotor, SS brake line and high performance pads and you should be good to go.
As some one said before, G35 stops from 60-10 in 110~115ft and the G37 in 106ft.
The G35 with G37 BBK should stops much better since it's 200lb less.

FYI, Akebono is the brake manufacturer for McLaren Mercedes F1 team.
Just because their name isn't famous as Brembo and AP doesn't mean they sucks.

Size comparison:

Last edited by j-velocity; 01-28-2009 at 05:07 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:43 AM
When comparing the stopping distances between the G37 and Brembo cars you must also consider what tires (size, make and model) were on the tested cars. The quoted distances for both are well within the margin of the impact different tires (size, make and model) alone would have braking performance.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: best BBK bang for buck?