best BBK bang for buck?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by j-velocity
My friend's 350Z w/ Brembo and PMU pads, DBA disc and SS lines didn't last long on a track day.

2 pc rotor for the G37 is just a matter of time. Especially the new 370Z came out alraedy. So are other brands of brake pads.
Stainless steel brake line and Project Mu pads are already available for the G37/370Z.
The g37 brakes failed miserably on the track as well in magazine testing, so not sure if they are really any better.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
These are words required in order to discuss the subject w/o getting flamed. But since you want to get technical about it. How do you know the OEM brembo set will be fine? Is the oem master indentical to the Gs that don't have them from the factory? What's the brembo bias numbers via the non-brembo units? Since you recommended the brembo, you should have the figures?
There's no need to be defensive, Jeff. I wasn't flaming you. I was merely pointing out that taking a chance on braking systems is not necessarily the wisest course of action, especially when there are some alternatives that are either tested, or make use of the same parts (and therefore bias) that the factory has engineered and tested for THIS application.

You know I don't have bias numbers; no one does except Nissan, so you know you're asking for something that doesn't exist in the public domain. From what I can tell from parts websites and from what I've read here, the master cylinder for the coupes is the same between Brembo and non-Brembo applications, at least up through '07, so the Brembos are an upgrade nearly identical to the way in which Nissan originally equipped some of the coupes.

I like to mod for performance based on quantifiable data, not guesstimates, and when it comes to braking, I definitely want quantifiable data if I'm going far afield of OEM design parameters. Zeckhausen is the only source I have seen so far for actual like-like testing of aftermarket BBK's on a 350Z/G35.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:03 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I didn't think you were but then your post was pretty short. I guess all we need to do is find out the p/n for the Akebono equipped Gs and see what that is. If we are going to take the MS bias values out then it's a matter of calculating the bias via the front / rear rotor and piston sizes(and #).

Unless Infiniti did something out of the norm, then this would be "acceptable". At least for an initial comment.

I also agree that Zeckhausen and maybe StopTech are the only two tests that I've seen that are worth anything. Perhaps they will do some work on this new system?

Old 01-29-2009, 12:14 PM
Agreed - it could work - I just need to see the calcs, and need data, data, data!

Would love to see a comparo test - Nissan Sport, are you listening?

Old 01-29-2009, 12:53 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
The g37 brakes failed miserably on the track as well in magazine testing, so not sure if they are really any better.
this is not good to hear - the only reason I'm considering OEM Akebono is to have better braking on the track... are you referenceing a particular review or thread post?

Old 01-29-2009, 01:15 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry, i should rephrase that statement. The akebonos failed miserably in a track situation, on an FX50S. Not a direct comparison, so take it with a grain of salt, but the behavior of the akebenos described by C&D, especially compared to the other SUV's is somewhat scary
The FX50S fared even worse. Not only did its brakes give up much sooner than those of the two other SUVs, they did so with little warning. Things were fine after the first six panic stops, with distances hovering around 340 feet. On the seventh stop (in the second test cycle), the pedal travel grew markedly longer and the distance increased to 432 feet. On the eighth, the pedal went to the metal. We held it there, and the Infiniti gradually came to a stop in 473 feet. We tried a few more times, but the car was braking with only half its maximum capability even though we were pushing on the pedal with more than 100 pounds of force. Afterward, we discovered that the rotors were deeply grooved, too. We contacted Infiniti, and the company says it is investigating the problem.
Remember the FX was the lightest of the SUV's.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ff+page-3.html
Although the nismo Z didn't behave much better, but made it to 15 stops with the brembos. Once again, take it with a grain of salt

Old 01-29-2009, 02:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
will these fit on a 05 sedan with 18" sport rims? that's all i need to know...

Old 01-29-2009, 03:02 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I doubt the oem sedan sport 18s have the clearance for this. Since none of the sedans had the oem brembos, none of the wheels available had much clearance. IMHO.

If the dia clears, I'd say the oem coupe 18 or 19 would work

Old 01-29-2009, 04:33 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
OEM brembo rear vs OEM Akebono rear:

What im trying to point out is that, yes the rotor diameter is larger, but the braking area does not support the claims of a much larger piston size, despite the size difference of the calipers and rotor. The new calipers seems to have a lot of extra material whereas the Brembo design has had the benefit of being trimmed down over the decade thd design has been in use. The pad area seems to be close to the same, so all you're really getting is a signifigantly higher brake torque leverage.

now theorethically, all things considered equal, the larger Akebono brakes should run a little cooler due to the increased size of the rotors, but at the same point they'll retain heat longer as well compared to 1pc 350Z rotors of a smaller mass (larger mass longer to heat, larger mass longer to cool).

Some more interesting pictures of the akebono:

Dont miss understand me though, I still think for the money, an upgraded OEM brembo system (with used calipers) is a better bargain for performance braking like i said on page-3...but if you want better looks and better braking over your stock system, then fine, go with the akebono setup because I agree, it looks the most ballerest over all of them!

Old 01-29-2009, 04:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
so where can i find the Megan Racing brake kits for g35 sedan. Thought I take a look anyway despite i've already ordered Centric oem replacements.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
you can get them from the megan directly. Unless someone is selling their set. I have the Megan kit on my sedan. So far, so good.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:10 PM
here are a few

Attached Thumbnails best BBK bang for buck?-f-r-caliper-side.jpg   best BBK bang for buck?-f-r-caliper-size.jpg   best BBK bang for buck?-f-r-rotor-brake.jpg   best BBK bang for buck?-f-r-rotor-top.jpg   best BBK bang for buck?-f-caliper-hand.jpg  

Old 01-29-2009, 10:12 PM
and a few more on the car

Attached Thumbnails best BBK bang for buck?-fgclokeymeet2.jpg   best BBK bang for buck?-fgclokeymeet3.jpg   best BBK bang for buck?-mr-bbk.jpg  
Old 01-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by G35sedan03
I am seriously digging the wheels on the DG coupe in the background of the first two pics...they look like they came from an E46 M3. Love 'em!

Old 01-29-2009, 10:30 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
Originally Posted by G35sedan03
^^^what front bumper you runnin'??? love ur setup BTW

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: best BBK bang for buck?