Brembo Brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 07:49 PM
Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts
Brembo Brakes

Hey guys just wondering what kinda problems issues i would run into if i picked up a set of evo IX brembo front brakes off a buddy of mine? Id be getting the calipers/pads and rotors... is there any kind of adapter i would need to purchase to get these on?

Old 07-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Search this forum. It's been discussed before. Not worth the trouble - you'd be better off getting a used set from a 03-04 G.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do the g37 bbk upgrade. a set of used brembos are close in price.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:42 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Tell your friend to keep them and sell them if he wants to give them away. You shouild look into an OEM brembo setup if you want a budget brak upgrade...if you want something showier, go with the G37 Akebono kits (way more than a used OEM caliper set by the way).

You could get OEM brembo calipers, nice pads, SS lines, race fluid and two piece rotors for less than a four wheel Akebono kit.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by idrive_MD
Tell your friend to keep them and sell them if he wants to give them away. You shouild look into an OEM brembo setup if you want a budget brak upgrade...if you want something showier, go with the G37 Akebono kits (way more than a used OEM caliper set by the way).

You could get OEM brembo calipers, nice pads, SS lines, race fluid and two piece rotors for less than a four wheel Akebono kit.
Get the brembos over the Akebonos. I had the brembos (coupe) and now have the Akebonos (sedan). The akebonos aren't even close in performance.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:39 PM
I have brembo calipers and rotors on the front of my 04 G35 Coupe but cant seem to find a brembo kit for the rear.

Can anyone help please?

Old 07-21-2010, 04:13 AM
Originally Posted by SWAG
I have brembo calipers and rotors on the front of my 04 G35 Coupe but cant seem to find a brembo kit for the rear.

Can anyone help please?
Are they OEM brembos or from a Brembo GT kit? In either case, you should be able to find an OEM rear setup on ebaymotors.com or you can definitely get them from Rockauto.com, with pads even. And since you are there you can probably order the rest of the rear brake parts you need.

A single loaded rear caliper starts at $213 each because you'll have to swallow the core charge.

For the two rear calipers and two premium blank face rotors, you're looking at $700, all you would need are the bolts and the OEM dust shield which you should be able to get from your local dealer.

Good luck!

Old 07-21-2010, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the help idrive_MD and sorry for the novice questions but really dont know much about the car but trying to learn as I go along.

I beleive the front Brembos were taken from a Nissan GTR Skyline as the previous owner installed them, I will try to find out.

I also wanted to change the rotors to drilled rotors so I need to find out exactly what the front has installed on it but regarding the rear, I came across the below on Brakeworld website and not sure if these would work with the Brembo calipers you recommend.

Available Parts and Accessories for 2004 Infiniti G35

Brakeworld cross drilled and slotted rotors (Style: Drilled & Slotted )
Brakeworld drilled and slotted rotors use premium Brembo OEM replacement units that meet or exceed all vehicle manufacturers specifications and tolerances. They are fully compatible with stock calipers wheels and other chassis components, easily mounting onto the vehicle. The majority of the brake discs are built in high carbon cast iron and they are available drilled, slotted, or in combination [drilled & slotted] providing a bold, aggressive appearance.

Thanks again for your help

Old 07-21-2010, 09:48 AM
If they were taken from a Skyline then you can't directly install them - the Skyline brakes have thicker rotors than the G35 coupe and they also likely are set up for different brake bias than the OEM G35 Brembo set. You also would want to install them as a complete set and not just slap on bigger front brakes or you will throw off the brake bias considerably and end up with longer stopping distances.

Again, your best bet is to find a set of Brembo calipers from a 2003-2004 G35 6MT and
install them. You can then pick from a number of different rotor options that will fit the Brembo brakes, like Centric Premium (Stoptech), Stoptech slotted, dba rotors, etc. Drilled rotors, as has been discussed many times, aren't necessarily the best option because they are more prone to cracking.

BTW, it would also help other responders to know what year and model G you have.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:58 PM
actually I am pretty sure that the r34 GTR with the orange brembos were the same as the 350Z/G35...the only time a GTR had a thicker rotor/caliper was the R32 and maybe on the spec-V or super special editions.

Per DBA, they have the same size front rotor 324x30mm for the 350Z and 1995-on GTR. The only difference with the r33-r34 rotors vs the 350Z/G35 rotors is the offset (the rotors overall height, not its pad surface thickness). The GTR rotors are a total of 2.12-inchs while the Z/G set is 1.93". The rears seem to have some differences though, but if you get an OEM Z/G35 rear brembo brake package you'll be fine.

To answer the other question of which rotors to get, well that depends on which ones you have to start with and thats based off of two assumptions. Best case scenario, the calipers are exactly the same in everyway and the only difference is the mounting location differences between both chassis to make up for the appropriate offsets. In that case, the 350Z/G35 rotors readily available here in the states can be used.

Worst case scenario, the calipers themselves have a slight difference on the mounting legs to compensate for offset, at which you'd have to use GTR specific rotors. Which may limit your options and raise your cost.

So replacing them kind of depends on which rotors the other guy put on there and if he tried to figure out one of the scenarios I proposed.

If I were a betting man, I would bet that the calipers are identical and the offset difference is made up on the mounting location at the hub and not the caliper.

Last edited by idrive_MD; 07-21-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by G35fromPA
If they were taken from a Skyline then you can't directly install them - the Skyline brakes have thicker rotors than the G35 coupe and they also likely are set up for different brake bias than the OEM G35 Brembo set. You also would want to install them as a complete set and not just slap on bigger front brakes or you will throw off the brake bias considerably and end up with longer stopping distances.

Again, your best bet is to find a set of Brembo calipers from a 2003-2004 G35 6MT and
install them. You can then pick from a number of different rotor options that will fit the Brembo brakes, like Centric Premium (Stoptech), Stoptech slotted, dba rotors, etc. Drilled rotors, as has been discussed many times, aren't necessarily the best option because they are more prone to cracking.

BTW, it would also help other responders to know what year and model G you have.
Not sure if you noticed, I didnt at first but we have two brake questions in here. The OP, JfDeltoro, wants to use Evo VIII/IX on the front and rear. SWAG jacked in and asked about adding an OEM brembo kit to the rear of his 04-coupe that already has a GTR set up front. I highly suspect that they are of the r33/r34 gtr spec and not the R35 GTR.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by idrive_MD
Not sure if you noticed, I didnt at first but we have two brake questions in here. The OP, JfDeltoro, wants to use Evo VIII/IX on the front and rear. SWAG jacked in and asked about adding an OEM brembo kit to the rear of his 04-coupe that already has a GTR set up front. I highly suspect that they are of the r33/r34 gtr spec and not the R35 GTR.
Oops...serves me right for not paying closer attention. Carry on...