Any one replace their lower ball joints?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Update

Haven't encountered any issues with the MTC ball joint (2WD) on my G35X.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by InfinitiGeeX
Update

Haven't encountered any issues with the MTC ball joint (2WD) on my G35X.
So there is nothing special to note on their installation? Anything extra we should know about?

Old 04-22-2015, 01:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by E_TRANE
So there is nothing special to note on their installation? Anything extra we should know about?
I didn't notice any modifications and the shop didn't mention any fitment issues or necessary modifications.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:39 PM
I wanted to know from those that have ordered the Premium ball joint pair from ebay, if they had to fill them with grease using a grease gun? Does the boot already come with grease pre-filled?

Here is the link to the Premium Ball-joints on ebay

Old 05-14-2015, 02:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Kinetix V+,Z1UpperArms+HFC,FujitaIntake,Nismokit,BCCoils,HKSexh,G37rims,CFtrunk,nWpTB,SPCarms
Originally Posted by DigitalDeviant
Call up turbo-toys. They would be able to answer questions. Might even have very low mileage used parts. Its where i get all my stuff.
the ball joints are interchangeable whether they are from RWD/AWD. But that's not what fixed the issue. one cv axle was replaced the drivers side. it fixed 1/2 the prob. just have to replace the other. and I believe it will be good to go. after installing the ball joints it made my steering tighter. and no ball joints don't come greased. I don't even think ball joints even have any grease for that matter. ball joints were replaced due to wear and tear. and because there was vibration coming from either side whether turning left or right.

Last edited by ㄴㅇㅇㄱ™ ninja; 05-14-2015 at 02:22 PM. Reason: added more
Old 06-11-2015, 11:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just replaced my lower balljoints on my 04 x

the rwd bj fits the awd.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Kinetix V+,Z1UpperArms+HFC,FujitaIntake,Nismokit,BCCoils,HKSexh,G37rims,CFtrunk,nWpTB,SPCarms
Originally Posted by itschuckster
just replaced my lower balljoints on my 04 x

the rwd bj fits the awd.
yes it does! 😁

Old 06-30-2015, 12:25 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Just replaced right front knuckle ball joint. Pretty straight forward job. Bought part on Amazon $35 ea. Came with conical shim, rubber boot, castle nut, cotter pin, & c clip.
No grease fitting (just like the stock ball joint)
Used Press Kit from Advance Auto parts (23 piece set)
120,000 miles RWD. Job only took an hour and a half including jacking the car up and removing tires.
Was going to replace both but only one was bad. No power tools required just an extension for the ratchet / breaker bar. (But I just used a decent ratchet with a pipe)

Just had the wheels balanced and an all wheel alignment. Running strong!

This is the link to the part I ordered.
Amazon.com: SPD 1010163-S Front Knuckle Lower Control Arm Ball Joint w/ Seat Spacer - Nissan 03-04 350Z Z33, Infiniti G35 Sedan RWD, G35 Coupe V35: Automotive Amazon.com: SPD 1010163-S Front Knuckle Lower Control Arm Ball Joint w/ Seat Spacer - Nissan 03-04 350Z Z33, Infiniti G35 Sedan RWD, G35 Coupe V35: Automotive
Perfect fit. Good quality. $35 free shipping

Last edited by whutch1; 06-30-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just bought that part too. I've been looking at ball joints and it seems that some seller s differentiate between the 03-04 G35 and 04-05 G35s. I have a 05 G35X but I'm told all the ball joints are the same for this gen. Is that correct?

Old 07-11-2015, 08:11 PM
Ok I'm thinking about doing this on my 05 G35. Noticed today my front tires have heavy wear on the inside of the tire.

I've done all the suspension components in the front except for the struts, the lower ball joints, The upper control arms (and all their bushings and that one small ball joint), and the sway bar links/bushings.

I'm pretty sure the cause of the wear is the lower ball joints because they are torn and old (after 200K miles this is expected..). I'm just not sure and dont want to spend a ton of cash right now since I now need new tires. It could also be the struts, but im not sure. Any ideas? I dont think the upper control arms or the sway bar links/bushings could cause that.

Thanks for the help if anyone knows for sure what's causing my issue (hopefully its this as it doesnt seem to hard to rent some equipement and change them)

Old 07-12-2015, 01:00 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by Scredeur4
Ok I'm thinking about doing this on my 05 G35. Noticed today my front tires have heavy wear on the inside of the tire.

I've done all the suspension components in the front except for the struts, the lower ball joints, The upper control arms (and all their bushings and that one small ball joint), and the sway bar links/bushings.

I'm pretty sure the cause of the wear is the lower ball joints because they are torn and old (after 200K miles this is expected..). I'm just not sure and dont want to spend a ton of cash right now since I now need new tires. It could also be the struts, but im not sure. Any ideas? I dont think the upper control arms or the sway bar links/bushings could cause that.

Thanks for the help if anyone knows for sure what's causing my issue (hopefully its this as it doesnt seem to hard to rent some equipement and change them)
It is not the ball joints causing your inner tire wear, I can tell you that.

If you could take a picture of your tires, it would be most helpful. If you have "cupping", then its most likely bad shocks. Also, how many miles on the tires and what's the treadwear rating? All of our cars with stock upper control arms have inside tirewear because of the aggressive camber. However, it can be exacerbated by a bad toe setting or worn compression rod bushings.

Get a clear pic up and we will know much more by the way its worn.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
It is not the ball joints causing your inner tire wear, I can tell you that.

If you could take a picture of your tires, it would be most helpful. If you have "cupping", then its most likely bad shocks. Also, how many miles on the tires and what's the treadwear rating? All of our cars with stock upper control arms have inside tirewear because of the aggressive camber. However, it can be exacerbated by a bad toe setting or worn compression rod bushings.

Get a clear pic up and we will know much more by the way its worn.
Here's a pic, like you asked:

We literally just replaced the compression rods. So I know its not those. The control arm bushings are all good as well, those were replaced a few months ago. And we had the car aligned too... perhaps a bad alignment job?

The tires looks pretty straight when the car is on the ground to be honest...The camber doesn't look very aggressive to me at all. But maybe im just bad at spotting that or I dont remember correctly. I do know he hasn't had inside tire wear this bad before. The tires are Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2's, im not sure what the treadwear was, but maybe mid 400's to low 500's if I had to guess? And the tires are also fairly new, got them under a year ago, not sure of the exact date. But the car has just been commuted with since then, no high speed cornering, donuts, or anything that would cause a ton of wear.

I'm also not sure what "cupping" exactly is, can you explain? Shock wear is definetly possible, 203K miles on the originals here.

Last edited by Scredeur4; 07-14-2015 at 11:38 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:14 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by Scredeur4
Here's a pic, like you asked:

We literally just replaced the compression rods. So I know its not those. The control arm bushings are all good as well, those were replaced a few months ago. And we had the car aligned too... perhaps a bad alignment job?

The tires looks pretty straight when the car is on the ground to be honest...The camber doesn't look very aggressive to me at all. But maybe im just bad at spotting that or I dont remember correctly. I do know he hasn't had inside tire wear this bad before. The tires are Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2's, im not sure what the treadwear was, but maybe mid 400's to low 500's if I had to guess? And the tires are also fairly new, got them under a year ago, not sure of the exact date. But the car has just been commuted with since then, no high speed cornering, donuts, or anything that would cause a ton of wear.

I'm also not sure what "cupping" exactly is, can you explain? Shock wear is definetly possible, 203K miles on the originals here.
Cupping is an almost "high and low" pattern on the inside of the tires. It looks like you're experiencing minor cupping. I would bet money that your shocks are bad. An alignment will never stick properly with bad shocks. Do you have minor vibration when you come to a full stop? Like when you come to a stop light? Does the car feel a bit more sluggish on take off; and/or seem like it takes a bit of extra effort to stop completely? More body roll in high speed turns?

Old 07-15-2015, 12:29 AM
Cupping is an almost "high and low" pattern on the inside of the tires. It looks like you're experiencing minor cupping. I would bet money that your shocks are bad. An alignment will never stick properly with bad shocks. Do you have minor vibration when you come to a full stop? Like when you come to a stop light? Does the car feel a bit more sluggish on take off; and/or seem like it takes a bit of extra effort to stop completely? More body roll in high speed turns?
Yes there is a bit of vibration when coming to a full stop, its not much but I thought it was minor warping of the rotors. It definetly feels more sluggish than it used to, even with the new engine something isnt right. Cant really comment on the effort to stop completely. I think there is more body roll than there is supposed to be, but its not terrible.

But with 203,000 miles pothole-ridden Louisiana roads, I think you are completely right on the shocks/struts, it only makes sense.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:41 PM
I know this isn't really the place for it, but do you know where I can get some new OEM or OE (same spec) springs for the sedan? I found everything except the springs, all I can find anywhere is lowering springs or springs that are too far used.

Well I can get the OEM springs from infiniti, but its extremely expensive. I'm not interested in lowering the car either, I have enough problems with ground clearance as it is.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Any one replace their lower ball joints?