Official Coilover quick review thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 03:17 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
Official Coilover quick review thread

Mods, planning to get this stickied, I see a lot fo threads asking what coilovers ride best, what offer this drop etc etc. So everything can chime in and we'll add to the criteria as we go. (Similar to the strut bar thread)

Coilover: Brand and Model
Style: True or OEM
Spring Rate:
Drop potential: How low will it go
Adjustability: How easy they are to adjust
Stiffness: Compared to OEM
Harshness: Compared to OEM
Price point: How much can they be found for use- How much new

So if anyone else wants to add, that's all I can think of that matters right now, I am going to keep and eye on this thread and every time a new coil comes up, I will add it to the original post. Please use the format above. If you can not answer the question put N/A.

SMA

Coilover: SMA
Style: OEM
Spring Rate: 10k 8k
Drop Potential: You'll want more from the rear, front is sufficient
Adjustability: Rears are easy, front the coil needs to come out of the car
Stiffness:
Much stiffer and better feel
Harshness: About the same as OEM
Price point: $700-$1200

Tanabe

Coilover: Tanabe Pro 5
Spring Rate: 10/8
Drop potential: Modest drop 1.5" all around for coupe, 2" for sedan
Adjustability: Fronts easy/ rears easy for sedans with reclining rear seats. W/O reclining seats rears must be removed to adjust dampening.
Stiffness: Good improvement over stock with very smooth ride at low dampening settings
Harshness:
Car feels much better planted but with no harshness, very comfortable ride.
Price point: Never seen a used set, new ~$1400

Tein
Coilover: Tein Basics
Spring Rate: 9/9
Drop potential: Can't slam it with the coupe, but for the person that wants a nice drop it will be good enough. You can get lower in the rear by doing a spring mount mod.
Adjustability: No dampening adjustment available with these coilovers.
Stiffness: Been a while but I liked them. They didn't have any dampening so if you're trying to stance the ride out, forget it.
Harshness: Never really felt harshness with these.
Price point: Used around $600. I say look into other coilovers around the same price range or a little more for something better.

Function & Form
Coilover: Function & Form Type II
Drop potential: I couldn't turn my wheel (coupe 19's on sedan) or back out without scraping from a friends garage and I still had room.
Adjustability: Same as most coilovers. Easy in the fronts, difficult in the rear unless you have a sedan with reclining seats.
Stiffness: Somewhat stiff but there seemed to be too much rebound.
Harshness: I didn't really care for them. I loved the drop, but for an aggressive setup, I've owned better.
Price point: Under $1k new

Ohlins/Impul
Coilover: Impul Ohlins (PCV)
Spring Rate: 10/7
Drop potential: You won't be slammed. Max drop on a sedan is about 2.5"
Adjustability: Very easy. If you have wide openings on your wheels (like OEM 19's), you can stick your hand through it and adjust dampening in the rear from the bottom.
Stiffness: They seemed to be pretty stiff, but they maintain comfort.
Harshness: Harsh doesn't come to mind AT ALL. No matter how stiff or soft the coilovers are set to, it's a smooth ride. Great coilovers for tracking and daily driving.
Price point: Low to mid $2,000 range for a used set.

HKS
Coilover: HKS Hypermax III (non-sport)
Drop potential: Never tested fully, but it got lower than the Ohlins and still had room. Nothing like the F&F. On a scale of 1-5 with 5 dropping the lowest I'd give it a 4.
Adjustability: Very easy. If you have wide openings on your wheels (like OEM 19's), you can stick your hand through it and adjust dampening in the rear from the bottom. Just like the Ohlins except the **** is a little smaller.
Stiffness: Not as stiff as the Impul Ohlins, but still good while maintaining comfort.
Harshness: Didn't feel harshness at all. Quite smooth.
Price point: Low to mid $1,000 range for a used set $1800ish new

Coilover: HKS Hypermax III non sport
Drop potential: i would say you can go almost to the ground with these, ive never fully maxed these out to see full drop capability
Adjustability: very easy compared to other styles on the market
Stiffness: coming straight from stock suspension to these coilovers will be a huge difference, but its not too stiff where it becomes uncomfortable.
Harshness: dont feel harsh whatsoever, the ride is perfect for me.
Price point: used around 800-1,000 new around 1500

Stance
Coilover: Stance GR+ (true)
Style: True
Spring Rate: 12/5 (But with my setup it's a 14/8)
Drop potential: These will get low. If you want to stance your car out, these are a great choice.
Adjustability: Like most coilovers with dampening adjustment in the rear, if you don't have a sedan with reclining seats you will need extenders.
Stiffness: My review will be different than most. I swapped the springs out through Stance to have a 14/8 spring rate. I did notice a bit of a difference. I ride low, but I feel they can be stiffer. I haven't tested any other coilovers driving at this height with my wheel setup. But I would have to say at the ride height, they are stiffer than the F&F Type 2's.
Harshness: As a tip, don't set to full stiff (you shouldn't with any coilover). I have mine set to 4 clicks below full stiff and it improved rebound quite a bit. For the most part I have a good ride. Passengers don't complain, but if there are a lot of bumps and dips, I tend to bottom out and it gets a little rough. Keep in mind I have extreme negative camber and a lot of stretch.
Price point: Low to mid $1,000 range for a used set.

Coilover: Stance GR+
Spring Rate: 10k/12k
Drop potential: Pretty damn low, almost tuck an 18 without collars out on a sedan
Adjustability: Can be done on the car and easy to loosen the collars
Stiffness: Stiffer, but with the dampening backed off quite nice.
Harshness: You feel the dips and you definitely feel some impacts, but not bad compared to stock.
Price point: Around $1400 new, $1000 or so used.

KBee
Coilover: KBee
Spring Rate: 12K/12K (Swift Springs)
Drop potential: Frame Banger
Adjustability: Height is as easy as any coilover. Dampening for the front is easy, The rear needs to be off the car.
Stiffness: Ridiculous on full still. Pretty comfortable on full soft.
Harshness: You can feel the road beneath you, but you don't hate it.
Price point: These are extremely rare JDM coilovers. They are only available in Japan. @$1200 US.

Greddy

Coilover: Greddy Type S
Spring Rate: Front – 10k; Rear – 8k
Drop potential: Front will lay a nismo bumper on the ground. Rear: spun down will set the fender right past where the tread is on a set of 285/30/19. Remove the adjustment collars from the sleeve and you can tuck 2/3 of the way down a 285/30/19
Adjustability: spring height just take the wheels off and use the tool to loosen the collars and spin them to where you want them. Strut stiffness front: easy, it’s at the top of the strut (be wary of some strut bars not clearing the adjustment ****) and rear you have to take the strut out if you want to change it, or cut a 6.5mm access hole to run the extended adjustment **** into the trunk.
Stiffness: compared to OEM of course it’s a rougher ride. You tend to feel the road a lot more, but it’s not “bouncy” or “rough” at all. Larger bumps are a pain, but that’s the case with any modified suspension . Considering it comes with 32 point adjustable stiffness with the struts, and because you can also adjust where the strut sits (meaning you can dump it damn near to the floor and still have fantastic strut travel) it actually rides better than most coilovers I’ve experienced while still being able to let the car handle like a champ, and I live in an area that has HORRIBLE roads. So for me to be able to slam it in the dirt and drive it daily without back problems says a lot. It’s also a FUN set up to take on curvy roads, autox etc., I hit the Tail of the Dragon twice a year and have no trouble or complaints at all.
Harshness: It follows the road... if the road is smooth, you’ll never notice anything other than how tight it makes the car feel. If the road is rough or bumpy, it certainly changes the comfort, but it’s not bouncy and won’t throw you everywhere. If anything it helps you control the car more by taking the kit and recovering quickly. The coilovers actually handle adverse conditions well, so “harsh” is not a word I would associate with this setup. Large bumps themselves are going to be rough, but again... that’s for all coilovers.
Price point: used: $1000ish?; new: $1500

Last edited by Blue Dream; 04-08-2013 at 08:14 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by 4DGS:
GXXXV X (06-20-2011), lsmooth81 (06-06-2011), thegreatkwijibo (10-17-2012), TunerMax (02-22-2012), _Nick (10-11-2014)
Old 02-25-2011, 03:22 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Great idea....will chime in when I get back from lunch. Reserving post

Coilover: Tein Basics
Drop potential: Can't slam it with the coupe, but for the person that wants a nice drop it will be good enough. You can get lower in the rear by doing a spring mount mod.
Adjustability: No dampening adjustment available with these coilovers.
Stiffness: Been a while but I liked them. They didn't have any dampening so if you're trying to stance the ride out, forget it.
Harshness: Never really felt harshness with these.
Price point: Used around $600. I say look into other coilovers around the same price range or a little more for something better.

Still had room to lower
On 20's:
Name:  tein20s.jpg
Views: 6382
Size:  85.0 KB

On 17's:
Name:  tein17s.jpg
Views: 8620
Size:  145.1 KB

Coilover: Function & Form Type II
Drop potential: I couldn't turn my wheel (coupe 19's on sedan) or back out without scraping from a friends garage and I still had room.
Adjustability: Same as most coilovers. Easy in the fronts, difficult in the rear unless you have a sedan with reclining seats.
Stiffness: Somewhat stiff but there seemed to be too much rebound.
Harshness: I didn't really care for them. I loved the drop, but for an aggressive setup, I've owned better.
Price point: Under $1k new

Still had room to lower
On 19's
Name:  ff19s.jpg
Views: 9260
Size:  99.7 KB

Coilover: Impul Ohlins (PCV)
Spring Rate: 10/7
Drop potential: You won't be slammed. Max drop on a sedan is about 2.5"
Adjustability: Very easy. If you have wide openings on your wheels (like OEM 19's), you can stick your hand through it and adjust dampening in the rear from the bottom.
Stiffness: They seemed to be pretty stiff, but they maintain comfort.
Harshness: Harsh doesn't come to mind AT ALL. No matter how stiff or soft the coilovers are set to, it's a smooth ride. Great coilovers for tracking and daily driving.
Price point: Low to mid $2,000 range for a used set.

On 19's
Name:  ohlins19s.jpg
Views: 7735
Size:  93.3 KB

Coilover: HKS Hypermax III (non-sport)
Drop potential: Never tested fully, but it got lower than the Ohlins and still had room. Nothing like the F&F. On a scale of 1-5 with 5 dropping the lowest I'd give it a 4.
Adjustability: Very easy. If you have wide openings on your wheels (like OEM 19's), you can stick your hand through it and adjust dampening in the rear from the bottom. Just like the Ohlins except the **** is a little smaller.
Stiffness: Not as stiff as the Impul Ohlins, but still good while maintaining comfort.
Harshness: Didn't feel harshness at all. Quite smooth.

Still had room to lower
On 19's
Name:  hks19s.jpg
Views: 8303
Size:  79.5 KB

Coilover: Stance GR+
Style: True
Spring Rate: 12/5 (But with my setup it's a 14/8)
Drop potential: These will get low. If you want to stance your car out, these are a great choice.
Adjustability: Like most coilovers with dampening adjustment in the rear, if you don't have a sedan with reclining seats you will need extenders.
Stiffness: My review will be different than most. I swapped the springs out through Stance to have a 14/8 spring rate. I did notice a bit of a difference. I ride low, but I feel they can be stiffer. I haven't tested any other coilovers driving at this height with my wheel setup. But I would have to say at the ride height, they are stiffer than the F&F Type 2's.
Harshness: As a tip, don't set to full stiff (you shouldn't with any coilover). I have mine set to 4 clicks below full stiff and it improved rebound quite a bit. For the most part I have a good ride. Passengers don't complain, but if there are a lot of bumps and dips, I tend to bottom out and it gets a little rough. Keep in mind I have extreme negative camber and a lot of stretch.

Still have room to lower with 18's and 20's. Keep in mind fenders in the rear have been flared upward as well and front camber is -5.5 and rear is -8 so it will look lower/more tucked if they had more positive camber like most setups. In pic of 19's, coils are maxed out (without removing any rings).
With 18's
Name:  stance18s.jpg
Views: 6259
Size:  106.5 KB

With 19's
Name:  0227011522.jpg
Views: 6334
Size:  115.6 KB

With 20's
Name:  stance20s.jpg
Views: 6409
Size:  93.4 KB

Last edited by The Stimulation; 03-02-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:24 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Coilover: Tanabe Pro 5
Drop potential: Modest drop 1.5" all around for coupe, 2" for sedan
Adjustability: Fronts easy/ rears easy for sedans with reclining rear seats. W/O reclining seats rears must be removed to adjust dampening.
Stiffness: Good improvement over stock with very smooth ride at low dampening settings
Harshness: Car feels much better planted but with no harshness, very comfortable ride.
Price point: Never seen a used set, new ~$1200

I can't say enough great things about these coils. Their only drawback is the limited drop, but that can be helped out by removing collars. Definitely not for the slammed crowd. If a decent drop and a better-than-stock ride is desired these are a great option.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:14 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
Really they only go that low eh? Unusual, Added though!

Waiting on Levon since he's been on pretty much every set of coils ever lol

Old 02-26-2011, 06:26 PM
Not sure if you want to include this, but this was created by a member a while back. Lots of info on spring rates, some ride height, some info regarding reviews, and it has some product construction specs.

https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-...w-updates.html

Also, I updated my post

Old 02-26-2011, 07:26 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by 4DGS
Really they only go that low eh? Unusual, Added though!

Waiting on Levon since he's been on pretty much every set of coils ever lol
This is maxed out with one collar removed F/R.

Name:  028.jpg
Views: 6275
Size:  27.8 KB

Old 02-28-2011, 02:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i like this idea of a thread, no need to search = )

Old 02-28-2011, 03:04 AM
Really Needs a Life
Received 177 Likes on 136 Posts
Coilover: HKS Hypermax III non sport
Drop potential: i would say you can go almost to the ground with these, ive never fully maxed these out to see full drop capability
Adjustability: very easy compared to other styles on the market
Stiffness: coming straight from stock suspension to these coilovers will be a huge difference, but its not too stiff where it becomes uncomfortable.
Harshness: dont feel harsh whatsoever, the ride is perfect for me.
Price point: used around 800-1,000 new around 1500

Last edited by Dustin@StrafeAutomotive; 02-28-2011 at 04:05 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:04 AM
Dustin...guessing those are non-sport...right? Just for clarification for others.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:05 AM
Really Needs a Life
yeah^ lemme fix it real quick.. once i get my new coils ill post a review.. i loved those hks

Old 02-28-2011, 04:15 AM
Same here man. #2 on the list that I've owned. Only advantage over the Ohlins I'd say is the amount of drop you can get with them. I wish they were true coilover types. Would take them over the Stance GR+'s any day.

What coils are you gonna run now? Or is it a secret till the review comes out?

Old 02-28-2011, 04:21 AM
Really Needs a Life
nah no secret TEIN Comfort Sport coilovers are next.. cant wait

Old 02-28-2011, 04:24 AM
Nice....gettin the EDFC module as well?

Old 02-28-2011, 04:28 AM
Really Needs a Life
mhmm im throwing the idea around.. will see how i like coils as is, i could always get it at later time..

Old 02-28-2011, 04:30 AM
Werd. Enjoy em bro!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Official Coilover quick review thread