Caliper mechanism squeal? (not pads)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 12:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Caliper mechanism squeal? (not pads)

Looking for some ideas on spots/items to check.

30k or so miles ago, the dealer replaced my rear brake pads on my 06 coupe. Since that day, the right passenger caliper squeals 80% of the time. I can make it stop by stomping hard, or occasionally after a car wash. I'm fairly positive they bent/misaligned something in the mechanism such that something is touching something when the caliper engages. It's gotta be just a hair off or a bendy piece since it goes away if i apply full pressure.

Things done:
Complained to the dealer. They regreased shims, put some no squeal around. Worked for a day or two.
Took the pads out and used some no squeal, new grease, reseat shims/pads myself. Again, worked for a day or two.
Kept complaining to the dealer. They find nothing.
Had a different shop put on some akebonos about 5k ago. Same squeal. Same place.
Complained a lot. Drank beer. Did nothing for the car, but it helped me.

Any thoughts? I'm good enough with general maintenance, but knowing exactly how the caliper mechanism moves to be able to find this worn piece is beyond me. Will say the pads haven't shown any obvious wear patterns, on either side.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:20 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Got an additional clue. It's been raining a bit lately and I've noticed that particular caliper and only that one, seems to have an excess amount of "rust drip" on it. No idea if that means anything, but it's odd.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the exact same problem right now. I replaced pads, caliper and rotor. Problem still there... I'm thinking the caliper might be out of alignment or something...