KONI YELLOW vs TOKICO HP BLUE vs OEM shocks Review!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 08:26 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
KONI YELLOW vs TOKICO HP BLUE vs OEM shocks Review!

Information in this thread will mainly be about Koni vs Tokico, but you can use this thread for references to see Tokico vs OEM
https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-...ts-review.html

Let's begin:

As widely known Koni Yellow are adjustable shocks with lifetime warranty from manufacturer.
I can report that warranty is legit as I got a chance to use it even before I installed my shocks.
One of the shocks came in with a defect and had to be replaced. For some reason vendor that sold those to me did not feel like they are the ones responsible for replacing defected item that they shipped, so I had to go through Koni warranty.

Some concerns right off the bat. When I got a replacement shock for one of the defected shocks, while trying to compare the rebound rate with other shock one of the shocks would rebound faster (piston rod would come out quicker after compressed from one shock). Koni tech support told me it's normal and I should not worry about that. So I installed it the way it was. So far I do not notice any issues. Car seems to be leveled and shocks work fine on both sides.

So on to the comparison:

Front shocks:

Name:  IMG_20140524_105723_zpsfd23973f.jpg
Views: 2708
Size:  326.5 KB

Koni body is tiny bit taller and piston rod is also much longer, but if you look at the spring plate seat you'll notice that they are at a very close height. As I mentioned in Tokico vs OEM thread I did not need to use a spring compressor to put on the springs. There is hardly any spring compression required (Tein H-tech springs) when installing these shocks. The thread portion of the piston rod is much longer and on top of it is adjustment valve. I'm guessing it's designed in such way to make it easier to access the adjustment valve.
Another good thing of Koni shocks is that mounting fork has a nut already built it.

Rear shocks.

Name:  IMG_20140524_134824_zps663029f9.jpg
Views: 2489
Size:  376.6 KB

Not much difference there besides the mounting bracket. This time Tokico has built in nut and Koni does not.
Don't mind the shorter Koni, it's not extended all the way. Koni has a built in plastic dust shield, Tokico has removable rubber one (currently removed in the picture).

Adjust-ability

It was my biggest concern. I was not sure what will it take to adjust these shocks and what would be involved. Turns out that they can be adjusted on the fly. Meaning that piston could be in any position; all the way up, all the way down or in the middle. It could be adjusted at any position. Front shocks are accessible under the hood, adjusting valve is located in the center of the piston rod and could be adjusted with a **** provided by Koni. Simply slip it on and turn it.
For rears car needs to be jacked up and adjustment is done at the top of the shock with a nail or a small hex key. You simply put it in the hole and rotate the valve left or right.

Name:  IMG_20140524_141522_zps4d4cfc69.jpg
Views: 2152
Size:  260.6 KB
In the picture my car is jacked up and shiny area at the top of the shock is where the adjustment is done. You can see there is quite allot of room between the tire and fender. You can easily slip your arm in there and do the adjustment. Obviously with larger wheels (I got 19s) you would have less space there.

Review.
Overall I quite like them. All of the reviews on the net say that they last quite long with lowered springs, and could be easily rebuilt or exchanged under warranty if they go out. That was my main reason for getting Koni. I have them currently set on the softest settings and they provide enough bump absorption while still giving stiff and sporty feel. Difference between full soft and full firm settings is quite significant.

Last edited by JOKER; 03-31-2015 at 10:31 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by JOKER:
dukehotty (05-27-2014), Shawno72 (06-16-2014), Urbanengineer (05-26-2014)
Old 05-26-2014, 08:32 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Sweet write up man! I hear great things about them, looking forward to hearing your review after some miles are put on them.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:35 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I had Koni yellows way back in the day (2000-2004) on a 1997 Integra GSR. Really nice shock with a lot of versatility. Dialed to full stiffness and the car was really bouncy. Dialed full soft was a bit too floaty. About 1/3 max was perfect for that car. Probably looking at getting new shocks for my G next spring and Konis are high up on my list.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:36 PM
Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts
Love threads like this thx dude. I have Konis in the rear and KYBs in the front. Car rides beautifully.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:37 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Why did you go with KYB in the front?

Old 05-26-2014, 09:12 PM
Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts
Bought the car with em

Old 05-27-2014, 11:13 AM
Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
Would anyone recommend running these yellow shocks with a airbag setup so you can ride comfortably with bags lowered and not having to worry about the car bouncing ?

Old 05-27-2014, 11:46 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Great thread. I've read through the other thread you mentioned a few times and it had great info as well.

I'm curious though, are the Tokico HP Blues what comes stock on the 350z?

Old 05-27-2014, 11:53 AM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Koni is eons better than Tokico and oem.

But the adjustment for the rears is a pain. I ran full hard and it was really stilff. So like you, I ran almost full soft and that was plenty. As they wear, you can adjust them stiffer. Front adjustment is easy as you have found.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:58 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Originally Posted by redguitarfreak
Great thread. I've read through the other thread you mentioned a few times and it had great info as well.

I'm curious though, are the Tokico HP Blues what comes stock on the 350z?
OEM shocks on Gs are made by Tokico. They are not HP Blue, but very similar in performance, I'd say identical.
I assume that is the case on 350z as well.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered a set of yellows after backordering months dspecs. Could you give an update on the ride quality and your shock settings?

Old 06-16-2014, 05:44 PM
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
Thanks for the write up.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:18 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Originally Posted by (>")> G35
I ordered a set of yellows after backordering months dspecs. Could you give an update on the ride quality and your shock settings?
I have it still set on the softest setting. Ride quality is great, softer than OEM I would say. Of course the down side is that handling a little loose, but I'm fine with it. I don't track the car and I rather have a softer DD than a stiff one.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the update. Going to install mine this weekend. I am hoping for the same smooth ride I am getting in my koni yellow equipped miata.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:14 PM
6 months later, I finally installed the Koni! I am fairly happy with them so far, but initially the shocks were a nightmare.

Day 1 - I finished the install and gave each shock a 1/4 turn from full soft. Took it for a quick test ride and thought the shocks were a bit stiff. Drove home and parked it.

Day 2 to work - I have a 35 mile each way commute through Los Angeles' terrible freeways and streets. On the way to work, the shocks were really stiff, road noise was much louder, I had rattles that I didn't have before. It felt like the car was just crashing through road imperfections.

Day 2 leaving work - Oh man, these shocks are way too stiff and the ride was terrible, worst than the morning commute! I was bouncing all over the place and the every bump I hit was just ridiculously hard. As soon as I got home, I adjusted everything to full soft, took it for a quick ride and felt no change. I got home and went onto G35driver to look for new shocks.

Day 3 to work - Pulled out of the driveway and I immediately notice something different, it felt a little softer. On the highway the ride was better and road noise was not nearly as loud as Day 2. The ride was still a bit stiff, but acceptable. Now I was thinking about replacing my nismo a34 19"s with some 18"s.

Day 3 leaving work - Wow, it softened up even more. Rides almost like it did with the original sport shocks. If this keeps going I won't need to rip these out.

Day 4 to work (today) - Felt slightly softer today, but still stockish. Fronts are almost too soft and if the rears would soften up a little more, it would be perfect.

Background, I have the sport package and am on 245/40/19.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: KONI YELLOW vs TOKICO HP BLUE vs OEM shocks Review!