Several random brake questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 11:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Several random brake questions

I have an 03 Sedan. I'm replacing the calipers and rotors. I was lucky enough to get 05 fronts off ebay for $13.50. I'm now looking for rear calipers. For some reason the used 05s seem to run more than early G37.

I know I can bolt up the rear from a G37 so I am looking at going that route. I am confused on what kind of rotors to get. I dont track the car so I just need something that will hold up. I want a bigger rotor because I have 19s on my car.

Any feedback on good rotors? I was looking at Centric. From what I have read they make the blanks for other companies. Also any recommendation on everyday pads?

I've seen that some members have used Centric rotors and the inital reviews seemed good. Im curious as to how hold they hold up.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:07 PM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by hrdwirk1
I have an 03 Sedan. I'm replacing the calipers and rotors. I was lucky enough to get 05 fronts off ebay for $13.50. I'm now looking for rear calipers. For some reason the used 05s seem to run more than early G37.

I know I can bolt up the rear from a G37 so I am looking at going that route. I am confused on what kind of rotors to get. I dont track the car so I just need something that will hold up. I want a bigger rotor because I have 19s on my car.

Any feedback on good rotors? I was looking at Centric. From what I have read they make the blanks for other companies. Also any recommendation on everyday pads?

I've seen that some members have used Centric rotors and the inital reviews seemed good. Im curious as to how hold they hold up.
As for your G37 question... I have no idea.

Alot of people like the Hawks HPS, but it has bad cold bite. So it may not suit you if you live in a colder area. *Subjective as per Gary *

And I only ever heard good things about the centrics. They have a very good reputation from what I've read. I myself have just plain OEM for both pads/rotors.

Last edited by Spartan268; 08-22-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
centric are good rotors just replaced the rear rotors and pads yesterday with them and used stop tech pads. Both together have a decent bite.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:47 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Spartan268
As for your G37 question... I have no idea.
Alot of people like the Hawks HPS, but it has bad cold bite and gives a lot of brake dust. So it may not suit you if you live in a colder area.
And I only ever heard good things about the centrics. They have a very good reputation from what I've read. I myself have just plain OEM for both pads/rotors.
I love it when members have opinions about products they've never used and only post what they're heard! I've been running HAWK HPS pads for 8 years, they're not effected by cold weather and leave very little dust on my wheels. The do require doing the "Bed In Process" which only takes 10 minutes of your driving time. (Search) Rotors, you can find a variety of brands on our Marketplace under vendor brakes. I've been using DBA rotors that are slotted/drilled, they're designed to run cool and work well...which they do! Stay with OE diameter rotors, going larger will require more $$ won't stop any better.
Gary

Old 08-22-2014, 01:58 PM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
I love it when members have opinions about products they've never used and only post what they're heard! I've been running HAWK HPS pads for 8 years, they're not effected by cold weather and leave very little dust on my wheels. The do require doing the "Bed In Process" which only takes 10 minutes of your driving time. (Search) Rotors, you can find a variety of brands on our Marketplace under vendor brakes. I've been using DBA rotors that are slotted/drilled, they're designed to run cool and work well...which they do! Stay with OE diameter rotors, going larger will require more $$ won't stop any better.
Gary
It's subjective. I can grab a few posts saying that they do have bad cold bite:

Originally Posted by G35fromPA
Centrics/Stoptech FTW.

Watch out for the Hawk HPS though - terrible cold bite on the street.
Originally Posted by dohturdima
You probably want to replace rears with the same brand/type pad once the time comes. I bought these Bendix ceramic pads and they will replace my OEM pads when the latter wear out in a few months. Bendix pads a pretty well regarded and offer a one-time free replacement - so you get two sets of pads for the price of one. If going with Hawk pads recommend getting ceramic instead of HPS as HPS have a poor cold bite.
One thing I'll fess up to is the brake dusting. I got this confused with OEM pads and being at work trying to go on Driver secretly doesn't help..