Tech question

Old 08-25-2014, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tech question

I'm fairly new to the forums and I posted an intro but no one replied D: so I don't expect you guys to know me but I've a question. I bought my G35 a couple days ago and I took it for inspection earlier today, just for some piece of mind. Turns out the previous owner maintained it at the same Infinity dealership I inspected it, and he did an excellent job taking care of my baby. He did leave out two, pricey, things... -_-

I need to replace both rear bearings ($980) and both lower ball joints ($1.7k) which I really cannot afford, being 21 and college starting tomorrow. At least not at factory prices and I'm not mechanically savy whatsoever so DIY is out of the question. I looked up the parts and they were very cheap, so I was thinking about ordering them and installing at a more economical mechanic. I wanted to ask, would it be a smart idea to do this? I'm not sure if these are serious issues that should be done by professionals, then again I'm not going to go to the worst mechanic in my area. I just don't want to ride with these issues for too long only to cause more problems, tire issues and so forth. I'm financing this car so these repairs are out of my budget, any advice from you guys would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-25-2014, 10:26 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
Lower Ball Joints - these are not difficult to do - but without proper tools will be a pain $50-60 + time. You can rent a ball joint tool at autozone for free

as for rear bearings - which bearing(s) are you referring to? Are you meaning "rear wheel bearings"?

The following users liked this post:
bigheadvic (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by Tolboothwilley™
Lower Ball Joints - these are not difficult to do - but without proper tools will be a pain $50-60 + time. You can rent a ball joint tool at autozone for free

as for rear bearings - which bearing(s) are you referring to? Are you meaning "rear wheel bearings"?
Yeah that's what it was, my rear ties started squeeking today when I brake so it must be that. Will be checking out autozone soon, thanks for that

Old 08-25-2014, 10:39 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by bigheadvic
I'm fairly new to the forums and I posted an intro but no one replied D: so I don't expect you guys to know me but I've a question. I bought my G35 a couple days ago and I took it for inspection earlier today, just for some piece of mind. Turns out the previous owner maintained it at the same Infinity dealership I inspected it, and he did an excellent job taking care of my baby. He did leave out two, pricey, things... -_-

I need to replace both rear bearings ($980) and both lower ball joints ($1.7k) which I really cannot afford, being 21 and college starting tomorrow. At least not at factory prices and I'm not mechanically savy whatsoever so DIY is out of the question. I looked up the parts and they were very cheap, so I was thinking about ordering them and installing at a more economical mechanic. I wanted to ask, would it be a smart idea to do this? I'm not sure if these are serious issues that should be done by professionals, then again I'm not going to go to the worst mechanic in my area. I just don't want to ride with these issues for too long only to cause more problems, tire issues and so forth. I'm financing this car so these repairs are out of my budget, any advice from you guys would be greatly appreciated!
The lower ball joints are so expensive, because Infiniti wants to sell you the entire spindle assembly. As someone mentioned you can buy ball joints and press them out on your own. Is there a reason you can't DIY? If you have time and space...you'll save so much in the end. I learned what I needed from here and the FSM. Saved myself 1500 replacing the same ball joints you're talking about.

Haven't replaced a wheel bearing myself, but it was pretty pricey to have my mechanic do one of them. In fact that was the last bill I paid, before deciding on DIY from now on. 500 bucks was ridiculous after I watched a video of someone doing what I just paid for.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:40 PM
Yeah that's what it was, my rear ties started squeeking today when I brake so it must be that. Will be checking out autozone soon, thanks for that
Sure your break pads just aren't low?

Old 08-25-2014, 10:50 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
Wheel bearings are not too horrible to change - when they go bad they make a whirring sound which progressively gets louder the faster you drive. www.rockauto.com seems to have great prices on the wheel bearings. For the lower ball joints - the eBay ones have been solid for people. $50-55 for a pair. Good price. not too difficult to install.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by coffeysm
The lower ball joints are so expensive, because Infiniti wants to sell you the entire spindle assembly. As someone mentioned you can buy ball joints and press them out on your own. Is there a reason you can't DIY? If you have time and space...you'll save so much in the end. I learned what I needed from here and the FSM. Saved myself 1500 replacing the same ball joints you're talking about.

Haven't replaced a wheel bearing myself, but it was pretty pricey to have my mechanic do one of them. In fact that was the last bill I paid, before deciding on DIY from now on. 500 bucks was ridiculous after I watched a video of someone doing what I just paid for.
Just lack of tools and experience. Maybe I should just watch a video and go buy some tools huh. I won't learn if I don't try
Sure your break pads just aren't low?
Nah I got the car inspected at the Infinity dealership and they directly said it was the wheel bearings
Originally Posted by Tolboothwilley™
Wheel bearings are not too horrible to change - when they go bad they make a whirring sound which progressively gets louder the faster you drive. www.rockauto.com seems to have great prices on the wheel bearings. For the lower ball joints - the eBay ones have been solid for people. $50-55 for a pair. Good price. not too difficult to install.
Gotta order the parts and grab me a set of tools. Gonna give this a shot

Old 08-25-2014, 11:29 PM
Just lack of tools and experience. Maybe I should just watch a video and go buy some tools huh. I won't learn if I don't try

Nah I got the car inspected at the Infinity dealership and they directly said it was the wheel bearings

Gotta order the parts and grab me a set of tools. Gonna give this a shot
I can say this from experience, don't be intimidated or scared to work on your own car. This site has tons of DIY and the FSM gives good instructions. I'm still learning things myself, but have even changed my own timing chain and water pump on my G. Buy your tools at harbor freight there not the for pros, bit are great for DIY. I would however invest in a good quality jack. Rockauto is also awesome to buy parts from even with their outrageous shipping charges their parts are still cheaper.

Also, when it comes to electronic sensors for our car OEM is the only way to go.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:45 AM
I can say this from experience, don't be intimidated or scared to work on your own car. This site has tons of DIY and the FSM gives good instructions. I'm still learning things myself, but have even changed my own timing chain and water pump on my G. Buy your tools at harbor freight there not the for pros, bit are great for DIY. I would however invest in a good quality jack. Rockauto is also awesome to buy parts from even with their outrageous shipping charges their parts are still cheaper.

Also, when it comes to electronic sensors for our car OEM is the only way to go.
Sounds good. I'm ordering the parts now, and I forgot to mention that the cover for the keyhole on my driver door is missing. While I was at the dealership, I asked them for a price quote and it was $82 for that tiny cover. I couldn't believe it lol, they called it a different name(I forgot) but do you know where I can get it for cheaper? I looked on craigslist for G35 part outs and no one has it, and on the rockauto website I can't find it.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:28 AM
Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
They're on ebay for half the price.

You completely cover the hole with this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-INFINITI...69e751&vxp=mtr

Many people like to cover the hole because it looks cleaner. Its just a cover from the passenger door.

Or keep your keyhole search "g35 coupe DOOR ESCUTCHEON" on ebay and find your color.

Heres black for example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-INFINITI...ac96a0&vxp=mtr

bigheadvic (08-26-2014)
Old 08-26-2014, 11:54 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
First, make sure it's the ball joints and not the "Compression Arm Bushings". As for the "squeak" It could be the wear indicators on your brake pads. I have never heard a bearing "squeak", hum, yes, squeak no.

bigheadvic (09-02-2014)
Old 09-02-2014, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
First, make sure it's the ball joints and not the "Compression Arm Bushings". As for the "squeak" It could be the wear indicators on your brake pads. I have never heard a bearing "squeak", hum, yes, squeak no.
You were right. The humming sound that I heard is now gone since I've replaced the bearings but I still hear the squeek every now and then when I brake. Which places my brakes at top priority on my to-do, and some intermittent connections cause my left speaker goes out and back on randomly -_- lol. Thank you