Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 02:52 PM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Stick With Springs + Struts or Upgrade To Coils'

Car: 04 G35 Coupe
Current setup: Stock suspension on 350Z S tech springs, front & rear spacers
Wheels: 20" on a stretched tire

This spring drop is pretty low considering its just springs and Ive been running this setup for over a year now but its bouncy to say the least. I just finished paying the car off & would like to make a few changes to better the daily driver experience but am debating on which method to take. I have not pulled the wheels off to test any of the current struts but can tell you most likely i have some blown struts just based off the dramatic change in ride smoothness over the past several months. Regardless of which route i take I will be changing the front lower ball joints & going with a front & rear camber kit + alignment afterwards.

1) Stick with the springs because I actually do like the right height its at & upgrade to KYB or Tociko Blue struts to help eliminate the bounce.

2) Sell the springs & go with a full coil over setup. I don't foresee myself adjusting these often if at all once they are set which is why I am hesitant to go this route but unsure if the ride quality would be improved over a spring+strut combo.

Price wise it ends up around the same if I sell the springs and buy a coilover kit vs just replacing all my stock struts & sticking with the current springs, especially if i look at the used marketplace and find some in good shape. Overall i like my current ride hide but its way too bouncy at the moment. Its paid off and my daily driver so I would like to make some changes to add some comfort to my setup without going overboard on budget. It sits low but its drivable. Id like to sturdy her up a tad before I spend the $ on replacing the exhaust system after winter.

Thoughts?

Old 12-11-2014, 02:58 PM
Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
Or the third option, AIR RIDE!

Old 12-11-2014, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by Hogbone
Or the third option, AIR RIDE!
Not really in the budget. 2.5k+ for suspension on a DD is a bit overkill for me. Love those setups just way to overkill for my DD & needs.

I could upgrade the struts and misc bushings that need to be replaced for $500 or less. Or sell the springs and swap over to some tein coils or misc for 700 or less depending on new or used+condition etc. Im really leaning towards just swapping out the struts and going from there just wanted to hear some opinions on the matter. Also curious on the differences between the kyb & tociko replacement options. Looks like the tociko blues are a tad more expensive but nearly the same price point.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:31 PM
Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
When I did my air ride I went with KYB's front and rear. I like them and they seem to be holding up well with my bags. But there are a couple of review thread that cover the two brand you've talked about.

P.s ConcentZProFormance.com has the KYB the cheapest, don't be like me and pay way to much at the part store

Old 12-11-2014, 03:45 PM
Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts
If you see a new spring/strut combo and a full coilover system costing around the same for you, I would say go for the coils. I have the same setup as you right now (350z S-techs and Tokico Blues) and I'm thinking of switching to coils soon. I like the idea of height and dampening adjustability, something you don't get with springs. You never know when you'll get tired of the look, and when you do, you'll have the ability to change it with coils rather than swapping out the springs.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:00 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
To tell you the truth no one can accurately gauge what you will like more.
A lot of the time ride quality is subjective, just like what exhaust sounds better.
If it's possible ride in other Gs with different coilover setups to find your preference.
I'm running almost the same suspension setup as you and feel no excessive bounce, but maybe I'm used to it or my Tokicos are still in good shape.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by irishsig
To tell you the truth no one can accurately gauge what you will like more.
A lot of the time ride quality is subjective, just like what exhaust sounds better.
If it's possible ride in other Gs with different coilover setups to find your preference.
I'm running almost the same suspension setup as you and feel no excessive bounce, but maybe I'm used to it or my Tokicos are still in good shape.

Yea I hear ya. Especially with the exhaust comparison.

I am currently on stock struts but leaning towards some Tokico's. I priced them out to around $340-$370 after shipping. Finding other g's on coil setups really isn't possible. I love modding car's but i dont spend much if any time at shows or meets anymore to be honest. I like to turn a wrench but enjoy the car on my own time.

Are you on 350z S tech springs? Which Tokico's are you running? The g35 or 350z version?

I am on 350z s tech springs on a pretty low drop w/stock struts but am thinking of going with the Tokico blue 350z struts. These are suppose to be slightly shorter/stiffer than the G version and i figured they would match the spring rates better as I am running Z springs anyways. Ill take stiff over bouncy any day of the week.

I am going to place a few calls & dig up some more info but it sounds like those might be my best alternative.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:40 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
COs are for women.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by digital sol
Yea I hear ya. Especially with the exhaust comparison.

I am currently on stock struts but leaning towards some Tokico's. I priced them out to around $340-$370 after shipping. Finding other g's on coil setups really isn't possible. I love modding car's but i dont spend much if any time at shows or meets anymore to be honest. I like to turn a wrench but enjoy the car on my own time.

Are you on 350z S tech springs? Which Tokico's are you running? The g35 or 350z version?

I am on 350z s tech springs on a pretty low drop w/stock struts but am thinking of going with the Tokico blue 350z struts. These are suppose to be slightly shorter/stiffer than the G version and i figured they would match the spring rates better as I am running Z springs anyways. Ill take stiff over bouncy any day of the week.

I am going to place a few calls & dig up some more info but it sounds like those might be my best alternative.
My bad, misread your post thinking u were already on Tokico HPs.
I used to be on Tein 350z H-techs & oem struts.
I then switched to Tein 350z S-techs & Tokico HPs and loved the difference.
It was less floaty than before and the whole driving exp felt crisper.
I found the HPs slightly used on here for just under $200, not sure if they were Z or G.
But from my research the difference between the two is almost unnoticeable.
I found that the Tokicos paired with the Tein S techs very well.
I had the money to buy coilovers but felt it was a little overkill for my needs.

And BTW good call on looking to get front and rear camber kits with the new suspension.
Saves a lot of money in cambered out tires.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by irishsig
My bad, misread your post thinking u were already on Tokico HPs.
I used to be on Tein 350z H-techs & oem struts.
I then switched to Tein 350z S-techs & Tokico HPs and loved the difference.
It was less floaty than before and the whole driving exp felt crisper.
I found the HPs slightly used on here for just under $200, not sure if they were Z or G.
But from my research the difference between the two is almost unnoticeable.
I found that the Tokicos paired with the Tein S techs very well.
I had the money to buy coilovers but felt it was a little overkill for my needs.

And BTW good call on looking to get front and rear camber kits with the new suspension.
Saves a lot of money in cambered out tires.
That's ok. Thank you very much for the information! I really appreciate it. I am going to go this route. Waiting on a few vendor responses to snag a good price

Thanks all!

Old 12-11-2014, 10:47 PM
Received 142 Likes on 123 Posts
Coilovers were the best mod I did to my car. If looks are your only concern you are fine with springs. But of you do get coils get good ones.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm running Hotchkis springs on my 06 G35 and am replacing the stock struts too. I am definitely going with Tokico hps but don't know what camber kit or parts I'll need, any ideas?

Old 02-13-2015, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by cbrg35
I'm running Hotchkis springs on my 06 G35 and am replacing the stock struts too. I am definitely going with Tokico hps but don't know what camber kit or parts I'll need, any ideas?
SPC front & rear camber kits are very popular on here and for good reason.
The prices are reasonable & the build quality is there.
SPL are also excellent products but for daily driving I feel it's a bit overkill for the price.
There are plenty of generic camber kits out there for a lot less $ but with moving parts I would rather spend the extra cash and have piece of mind with proven products like SPC/SPL.
I have front & rear SPC on my coupe and have had no issues at all.

BTW - If you buy them used make sure the rear SPC kit includes the toe bolts.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:37 PM
Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
Thumbs up New Springs and struts all the way

I too am in the same boat as you. Right now I'm on Tanabe NF210's and factory shocks and struts. I love my ride height and feel it's time to replace the factory shocks and struts. My solution will be installing either a set of Tokico HP's or Tokico D-Specs. The D-Specs allow me to adjust the damping the HP's are not adjustable. Seeing as I won't be adjusting the damping that much I'll most likely go with the HP's.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:07 PM
Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Good Luck finding D-Specs..... So hard to find a full set for a good price!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stick With Springs + Struts or Upgrade To Coils'