G35x lower ball joints

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 02:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
Nope. No one makes em. This is the shitty part of owning an X.
I am calling dealers nationwide tomorrow. I am at 180k with original BJs so I am surely due even though I don't notice any cracked boots on them, and they move smoothly if not just a little TOO easily, but I still need to check them with a pry bar with the tires off the ground.

The following users liked this post:
Rodney Bryant (05-26-2016)
Old 03-02-2015, 09:08 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Do you have any clunks or play that make you think they are gone? If not, i wouldn't change them out.

I have 155K on my original suspension (other than comp rods) and no play at all or issues from my BJ's. Unless you have reason to suspect one is failing or you have some clunking, not sure it's worth swapping

munkle (03-02-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 10:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by InfinitiGeeX
The eBay seller claims the ball joint fits AWD models but the manufacturer (MTC) says it isn't. I have the ball joints with me and I've compared them with the one from Autozone (Images) and they look identical. Autozone also claim they're compatible with AWD models.

I'm stuck right now. No way I'm paying $500 for the knuckle at the stealership plus labour charge.
I had the garage install the MTC ball joint with the Energy Suspension boot last week, so far everything is fine.

2005 G35x AWD.

munkle (03-02-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Do you have any clunks or play that make you think they are gone? If not, i wouldn't change them out.

I have 155K on my original suspension (other than comp rods) and no play at all or issues from my BJ's. Unless you have reason to suspect one is failing or you have some clunking, not sure it's worth swapping
You're right, and I still need to test out the BJ - I simply can't believe it's good with the mileage I've got! Seems most mechanics recommend an automatic replacement every 60-80k miles. I appreciate your bearing/hub DIY - that was the best G35 DIY I've seen anywhere yet, and even kept current with updates.

So, I'm confused with our load-bearing McPherson strut setup; do I lift with a jack under the control arm, then put a pry bar underneath the tire, lift, and watch for tire movement vs. BJ/control arm movement to determine if there's play? What's the best way on the X?

Old 03-02-2015, 08:48 PM
I had the garage install the MTC ball joint with the Energy Suspension boot last week, so far everything is fine.

2005 G35x AWD.
Good to know! Keep us updated on this. And, do you have a link to the part you purchased? There were a few different ones listed, so want to make sure I consider the correct one.

I called several dealers throughout the US today, and lo and behold, nothing. I told one dealer who told me that it was a whole spindle job, that there are aftermarket BJ's for the RWD cars, and he acted like he was surprised! LOL...sure, buddy. he told me that Honda et al have all gone to the integrated BJ in the spindle, and nobody makes a factory replacement for lower BJ's on those vehicles.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by munkle

So, I'm confused with our load-bearing McPherson strut setup; do I lift with a jack under the control arm, then put a pry bar underneath the tire, lift, and watch for tire movement vs. BJ/control arm movement to determine if there's play? What's the best way on the X?
Give this a read

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Seda..._Sedan/fsu.pdf

The whole collection (which i recommend d/ling and saving to hard driver.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Sedan/2006_G35_Sedan/

hinduman g35X (03-05-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Give this a read

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Seda..._Sedan/fsu.pdf

The whole collection (which i recommend d/ling and saving to hard driver.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Sedan/2006_G35_Sedan/
LOL. Forgot that was in the FSM. I actually have it, just didn't even think about looking to that for this issue. Interesting way of checking it though.

"Steering Knuckle Lower Ball Joint
Measure axial end play by installing and moving up/down with an
iron pry bar or something similar between steering knuckle and
wheel."

What am I missing here? It seems that the wheel is firmly attached to the knuckle and if you're pushing up on the bottom of the knuckle, under the BJ, while leveraged against the wheel, you're not really going to create movement. The loose ball joint would reveal itself in movement of the knuckle relative to the transverse link/LCA, but in using the prescribed technique you're not really doing anything to create movement between the BJ/LCA?

Old 03-06-2015, 11:19 AM
LOL. Forgot that was in the FSM. I actually have it, just didn't even think about looking to that for this issue. Interesting way of checking it though.

"Steering Knuckle Lower Ball Joint
Measure axial end play by installing and moving up/down with an
iron pry bar or something similar between steering knuckle and
wheel."

What am I missing here? It seems that the wheel is firmly attached to the knuckle and if you're pushing up on the bottom of the knuckle, under the BJ, while leveraged against the wheel, you're not really going to create movement. The loose ball joint would reveal itself in movement of the knuckle relative to the transverse link/LCA, but in using the prescribed technique you're not really doing anything to create movement between the BJ/LCA?
Are you checking on the ground wit hthe weight on the tires? I would put the front on jackstands with the wheels off and suspension dangling and check that way.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2005 G35x AWD.
So you had the RWD ball joint installed on the spindle and no issues? Fits ok? Kinda figured it would. Guess I'll order up a pair. Comparing the two suspensions (RWD AWD) online through schematics there are same parts applied to both cars but parts numbers change as does price. Stay bracket is the same between both cars yet different part numbers, end stop bracket for comp rod same on both cars, different part numbers and price.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:51 PM

2005 G35x AWD.
So you had the RWD ball joint installed on the spindle and no issues? Fits ok? Kinda figured it would. Guess I'll order up a pair. Comparing the two suspensions (RWD AWD) online through schematics there are same parts applied to both cars but parts numbers change as does price. Stay bracket is the same between both cars yet different part numbers, end stop bracket for comp rod same on both cars, different part numbers and price. Etc.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Good to know! Keep us updated on this. And, do you have a link to the part you purchased? There were a few different ones listed, so want to make sure I consider the correct one.
Originally Posted by Skeeter SS
So you had the RWD ball joint installed on the spindle and no issues? Fits ok? Kinda figured it would. Guess I'll order up a pair. Comparing the two suspensions (RWD AWD) online through schematics there are same parts applied to both cars but parts numbers change as does price. Stay bracket is the same between both cars yet different part numbers, end stop bracket for comp rod same on both cars, different part numbers and price.
I bought it from Bremen Tech on eBay. Though they advertise it as Vollig, I received MTC branded ball joints. MTC said it wouldn't fit with AWD models but after comparing the two, they looked exactly the same -- the only difference being the boot.

I think the one from Bremen Tech is out of stock as they have raised the price to $1000. You can also try the Febest ball joint which looks more similar to the stock ball joint.

The garage didn't find any fitment issue with the ball joint. I will keep you guys updated.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just to be clear. Infinitigeex, are you saying that a rwd balljoint such as

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Premium-Fr...66ef73&vxp=mtr

will fit on the x, with little or no modification? I am in need of two, and in canada the dealer is selling the knuckle with balljoint for $500 a pop. 50 for a set would be awfulll nice.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys. I read the thread but am not sure if you came to a conclusion. I got an 04x and i need front lower ball joints. Can someone please confirm that the 2wd Mevotech bj's will fit on an awd. Or any brand for that matter. I REALLYY don't wanna fork out 500 a pop at the dealer.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Ball Joint that fits an AWD

I bought it from Bremen Tech on eBay. Though they advertise it as Vollig, I received MTC branded ball joints. MTC said it wouldn't fit with AWD models but after comparing the two, they looked exactly the same -- the only difference being the boot.

I think the one from Bremen Tech is out of stock as they have raised the price to $1000. You can also try the Febest ball joint which looks more similar to the stock ball joint.

The garage didn't find any fitment issue with the ball joint. I will keep you guys updated.
What was the manufacturer P/N of the ball joints that you were able to install without issue?

I have an '08 G35x

Old 03-31-2015, 11:52 AM
[QUOTE=xaesx;6985720]Hey guys. I read the thread but am not sure if you came to a conclusion. I got an 04x and i need front lower ball joints. Can someone please confirm that the 2wd Mevotech bj's will fit on an awd. Or any brand for that matter. I REALLYY don't wanna fork out 500 a pop at the dealer.[/QUOTE

I believe he said they worked just fine, no issues installing them. For the price of one balljoint 40 bucks up here I would take the risk of it not fitting. Like you said 500 a pop for each side is outrageous. If it doesn't work your out 40. Try wreckers but than your getting used balljoints.

Parts on the front are interchangeable. They have different parts numbers but are exactly the same. Not all but some. I can provide examples.

xaesx (03-31-2015)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35x lower ball joints