Rotors rusting again

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 08:36 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Rotors rusting again

Hey guys, I recently did a full brake job using dura last gold corrosion proof coated rotors. Loved me....until this winter when one of them started to show rust through the hub. Even thought he hubs are coated with a rust proof material, I feel like all of the salt that we get here in the Midwest just killed it. Anyone know of rotors that don't rust or hold up better through these conditions ?

Old 03-01-2015, 09:03 AM
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
I've been using Stoptech rotors with black e-coating for about a decade on several different cars. Never a problem with them rusting through, hold up pretty good, and price is pretty reasonable. Look good too, IMO. Seem to hold up to cracking/heat as well, never had one fail.

E-Coated Finish
Most StopTech® Sport Rotors are finished with black e-coating on both sides of the hat, inside the cooling vanes, and on the outside edge. E-coating is a superior electro-statically applied finish designed to withstand 400 hours of salt water exposure without rusting. This is especially important on both mounting faces of the hat where it touches the hub flange and back face of the wheel. Any accumulation of rust in these area can lead to installed lateral run out issues.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Hatchman
I've been using Stoptech rotors with black e-coating for about a decade on several different cars. Never a problem with them rusting through, hold up pretty good, and price is pretty reasonable. Look good too, IMO. Seem to hold up to cracking/heat as well, never had one fail. E-Coated Finish Most StopTech® Sport Rotors are finished with black e-coating on both sides of the hat, inside the cooling vanes, and on the outside edge. E-coating is a superior electro-statically applied finish designed to withstand 400 hours of salt water exposure without rusting. This is especially important on both mounting faces of the hat where it touches the hub flange and back face of the wheel. Any accumulation of rust in these area can lead to installed lateral run out issues.
I have these in the centric ones.

Take Duralast paint (or similar high temp paint) to the rotor hat when off the car and sanded down and you will have a rust proof surface.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:47 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
I have these in the centric ones.

Take Duralast paint (or similar high temp paint) to the rotor hat when off the car and sanded down and you will have a rust proof surface.
I've also had good luck with the e-coated rotors here in the Northeast.

By the way, Centric owns Stoptech, so they are the same rotors.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:35 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks guys, I've been looking at the centric/stop tech rotors. I may swap them, since the duralastgold has a 3 year full warranty, I will probably be able to get my money back for them as they were advertised not to rust. But hey random question, does anyone know the weight of the front and rear rotors on the centric/stop tech ??