Hit curb. Steering wheel tilting slightly right and vibrates at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 12:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hit curb. Steering wheel tilting slightly right and vibrates at highway speeds

Hello G35Driver community!

Was thinking of putting this in the Wheels & Tires sub forum at first, but felt like that it's more appropriate here:

First thing I did after I hit the curb was to fix the bent lower control arm and broken wheel hub assembly. This fixed the most severe problem of the SLIP and VDC lights sometimes coming on and the car/drive feeling compromised.
However, the steering wheel is still slightly biased towards the right. Also, at highway speeds, the steering wheel starts vibrating medium severely.

How should I proceed? My understanding is that an alignment might no fix the vibration, however, it might fix the steering wheel tilt problem?

Is the vibration most likely from a bent wheel? A mechanic pointed out that it's difficult to see visually, but said that the wheel is indeed bent a little (I couldn't tell).

I know one alignment shop that has this wheel balance machine. Should I go first to see if the wheel is indeed bent, and then possibly order a wheel, have somebody put it on, and then doing an alignment, hoping everything will be fixed at this point?

Please guide me in the right direction.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:53 AM
Received 178 Likes on 140 Posts
you need to get your wheel balanced and see if it will balance out. if the wheel is indeed bent and cannot be repaired you will need to get a new one. an unbalanced wheel will cause the steering wheel to vibrate at highway speeds.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:56 AM
Thank you, I will do that!

Old 07-17-2015, 03:48 PM
I got my wheels balanced, and the front passenger wheel is indeed bent. After balancing the wheel, the steering wheel stopped vibrating at highway speeds. But I can still feel a slight to medium vibration, mostly in the seat, and the car overall. Should I go ahead and buy a new wheel? What are good places, besides eBay? I'd do an alignment after I mount the new wheel.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:05 PM
Received 178 Likes on 140 Posts
check craigslist