Track pack Brembo's on G35X

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 01:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Track pack Brembo's on G35X

Hey guys,

So, I did a search but I'm notorious for not seeing threads that are about the same topic. I used to own a 240sx S14 and made adaptors for ctsvbrakeswap.com to (obviously) put cts-v brembos on the s13, s14, and z32. This being said, now that I own a 2005 G35X, I want big brakes. Since the 350z track pack came with the 12.75" rotor and 4 piston caliper, that'll be easiest for me to do since it won't require a bracket.

Here is the question, though. Is the knuckle the caliper bolts to the same on a G35X as the G35 and 350z?

Thanks!

Old 12-07-2015, 06:30 AM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
I would imagine so but can't say for sure
Good question
I've seen Akebonos on an x but subd to find out as well

Old 12-07-2015, 08:25 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I'm 99% sure the spindle/knuckle is the same between the AWD and RWD G35. I've seen pics of the RWD version which contains the "pass-thru" for the front CV axles on the AWD cars.

Now, whether or not that's the same as 350Z I am not sure. From pics...it's looks the same

Old 12-07-2015, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by jerseytaylor
I would imagine so but can't say for sure
Good question
I've seen Akebonos on an x but subd to find out as well
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
I'm 99% sure the spindle/knuckle is the same between the AWD and RWD G35. I've seen pics of the RWD version which contains the "pass-thru" for the front CV axles on the AWD cars.

Now, whether or not that's the same as 350Z I am not sure. From pics...it's looks the same
Thanks for the input guys. Hopefully it's the same. I have a few things to take care of then I'll get a set of brakes. If it works, I'll post here so people can search it in the future. If not, I'll make a write up of how to make them work!

Old 12-08-2015, 09:10 PM
Q - What brake upgrades are available for the sedan?
The sedan's brake options are the same as the non-brembo coupe (or 350Z)
*Note the 05 AWD still has the same brakes as the 04 RWD.

Found this in the FAQ's

Old 12-08-2015, 10:20 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
There are two other things i'd worry about.

#1) will the rims on your car clear the calipers. SInce they are 4 piston calipers, I'd imagine they would stick out a bit on each side of the rotor. If your G35x is wearing stock rims, they may hit the spoke.

#2) master cylinders are usually a ratio of master cylinder piston area vs slave cylinder (caliper) piston area. If you change the calipers to one with 4 pistons, does the surface area of the piston change? This would take a bit of math, but I'd reseach the master cylinder diameters of the 350Z with track pack, vs a stock G35x and see how they compare. From personal experience, the difference of 1/16" in MC bore size can make a huge difference in how the brakes feel. Since I have not heard of someone doing this exact swap, unsure if they performed an MC swap to compensate.

BTW, I have swapped brake systems on other cars from a special model, and an MC swap was required to make the brakes workable, that's why I addressed it as a concern in my mind.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:30 PM

#1) will the rims on your car clear the calipers. SInce they are 4 piston calipers, I'd imagine they would stick out a bit on each side of the rotor. If your G35x is wearing stock rims, they may hit the spoke.

#2) master cylinders are usually a ratio of master cylinder piston area vs slave cylinder (caliper) piston area. If you change the calipers to one with 4 pistons, does the surface area of the piston change? This would take a bit of math, but I'd reseach the master cylinder diameters of the 350Z with track pack, vs a stock G35x and see how they compare. From personal experience, the difference of 1/16" in MC bore size can make a huge difference in how the brakes feel. Since I have not heard of someone doing this exact swap, unsure if they performed an MC swap to compensate.

BTW, I have swapped brake systems on other cars from a special model, and an MC swap was required to make the brakes workable, that's why I addressed it as a concern in my mind.
You're right, the stock 17" wheels will definitely not clear the Z Brembos. I think at least 18" wheels are required.

I will check on the master cylinder dimensions as well. Thank you for the suggestions!

Old 12-15-2015, 01:29 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Yep - I know for certain that the MC for the Brembo-equipped '03-'04 coupes was a different bore from the non Brembo-equipped coupes, so likely there is a difference to the G35x MC bore as well.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:14 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought some remanufactured 04 G35 coupe brembos and just had them repaintws dark silver metallic with red brembo decals.

Im installing these on my 06 G35x. Yes they do fit. Its a direct swap without adapters. Even the caliper bolts are the same. But the rear requires the coupes caliper bolts. Also the front and rear requires the coupes brake lines from the coupe with Brembos. You cant use the stock G35x lines. I just upgrades to stainless steel lines instead.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:17 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Also the master cylinder is the same on the sedan as the coupe with Brembos. So no need to even second guess.