While replacing Struts/ Shocks.. what else to do?

Old 12-12-2015, 05:42 PM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
While replacing Struts/ Shocks.. what else to do?

Question for you guys who are the pros. I am doing shocks and struts on the 04 coupe (94k miles). It takes bumps harder then I care so I think they should be done, from what I read 94k miles they should be done anyway. I am just going with the KYB since I don't track and I probably would never adjust the adjustable anyway.

With 94k on the car, (this car only gets about 7k miles a year) what else would you do? I see talk about the lower control arms, RockAuto has Dormans for $52 https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...id=383&jpid=31 with the ball joints. Is this necessary?
Anything I am missing? or should I not even bother with the control arms and just do the struts/ shocks and of course the strut/ shock mount kits?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 12-13-2015, 09:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LI-G35Driver
Question for you guys who are the pros. I am doing shocks and struts on the 04 coupe (94k miles). It takes bumps harder then I care so I think they should be done, from what I read 94k miles they should be done anyway. I am just going with the KYB since I don't track and I probably would never adjust the adjustable anyway.

With 94k on the car, (this car only gets about 7k miles a year) what else would you do? I see talk about the lower control arms, RockAuto has Dormans for $52 https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...id=383&jpid=31 with the ball joints. Is this necessary?
Anything I am missing? or should I not even bother with the control arms and just do the struts/ shocks and of course the strut/ shock mount kits?

Thanks,
Chris
I would go ahead and replace the lower control arm along with upper control arms as well; what youre showing is the compression rod (not a bad idea to replace either). The upper control arms are pretty easy to do so you can maybe take alittle longer with those if the ball joint is still in good shape (doubt it after 95k). You could also just replace the balljoints and bushings alone as well on all, but i wouldnt recommend it on the upper control arms since they are pressed in weird and the only way to take them off is a saw apparently. If the arms come with the ball joint its a plus!

Is replacing ALL the arms or bushings necessary right now? No. Would it make your car ride like a brand new car again? Yes.

If you're planning on taking this to a shop to do, it wont be cheap to replace all these arms. Its really not super hard to DIY, just get a buddy and some long ratchets to break the nuts.

Last edited by Ricky Ramos; 12-13-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:49 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
There's only one way to find out what's worn on a suspension like yours with that kinda mileage, find an independent brake/alignment shop in your area and have them look at what needs to be replaced. You're going to need an alignment anyway once you replace suspension parts, may as well have them check it out!
Gary

Old 12-13-2015, 07:30 PM
Thanks guys.. I am having fun as I learn about all this stuff. I have air tools too so I am well prepared for the shocks and struts.

I had the wheels off today since I just did all new calipers, rotors and pads and wanted to re-bleed the system today and double check everything.

A couple of questions for you guys and thank you in advance. I am new to all of this and am having fun learning and working on this... can I ask a couple of questions?

1) Is it true to check the control arms with the car up on jacks if you put your hands at 9 and 3 and wiggle the wheel you should see movement in the wheel if the control arm/ joints are worn out? I checked both the wheels and there was no movement at all. Once I moved the wheel enough the other moved right along with it mimicking it. That means the control arms are still in good shape and don't need replacement at this point?

2) I checked the tie rods as well since I had everything apart as well. I couldn't find any looseness/ movement at all. So they should be good still as well?

I am thinking I might just do shocks and struts but don't want to skimp, if it needs control arms, minus well do them but if they are still good, I figure I will do them down the road if/ when they wear out.

3) Also, can I ask what is in the third picture titled "what-is-this. Does that eventually wear out as well?

Thank you guys... this is all stuff that I probably should of known by now but am just learning and having a pissa as I do...

Chris

Attached Thumbnails While replacing Struts/ Shocks.. what else to do?-upper-control-arm.jpg   While replacing Struts/ Shocks.. what else to do?-lower-control-arm.jpg   While replacing Struts/ Shocks.. what else to do?-what-.jpg  
Old 12-14-2015, 12:43 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First pic is the front upper control arm (has two bushings hinging from the car), second - lower control arm (it has a inner bushing and a outter bushing for the strut), third - compression rod (you can either buy the whole arm or like i said press out the bushing).

You can press the bushings out yourself and replace them. if you have a press its way easier. Just not recommended for the upper control arm for reasons mentioned above.

i dont know of any specific ways of diagnosing the arms, generally if theyre torn/cracked theyre bad. At 95K, its probably getting close to being torn/worn anyway.

Last edited by Ricky Ramos; 12-14-2015 at 12:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
LI-G35Driver (12-14-2015)
Old 12-14-2015, 09:24 AM
Ricky, thank you very much!! I will pick up the parts and depending on the weather this upcoming weekend I will do them when I do the struts and shocks and if its to cold out I will do them in the spring.

Thanks again for taking the time to explain this ...

Chris

Old 12-15-2015, 07:21 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
so how does lifetime warranty work for online sites? i kno at orielys you take the worn part to them and they give you another one to fk up.