Suspension Squeaking Concern

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 08:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Suspension Squeaking Concern

I own a 2005 G35 Coupe 112k and i have this squeaking noise coming from the suspension. Its been going on for a while so I've made a total of 3 attempts to the dealership because my car is under an Extended Warranty. On the 1st visit I took it to the dealership, they replaced Compression Rod bushing due to numerous complaints and Infiniti Issuing a TSB . That didn't correct the issue. I took it again for the 2nd time and they replaced the rear driver wheel bearing. I questioned that one but dealership did not charge me my deductible due to just being their 2 days ago but still, why would a wheel bearing make a squeaking/creaking noise from the driver front of the car??
Anyhow, now it's my 3rd visit for the same concern on the noise after I feel it is getting worse, and this time i drove with the tech (he heard the noise himself) and provided a few possible parts that other Coupe owners are complaining about the may have resolved the issue. Items such as, stabilizer end links, lower control arm, compression rods, etc. I've even recorded a video on the noise so they hear it as well if they didn't find it on the road test.
So to jump forward to today 12/15, i received a call from my service adviser and he stated that they will be replacing Both Lower Control Arms, and Driver Steering Knuckle. He also states that the squeaking could be my After Market Short Ram Intake rubbing again the body of the vehicle Now that's weird because i have a OEM Z-tube and a JWT Pop Charger being held down by a bracket and bolted down to the body of the engine bay. Theirs literally no side to side movement or any movement from this intake at all, how could it be rubbing against the body of the vehicle??...I told him i have the OEM intake i can put that back on and see if that corrects the issue, but i doubt that is the cause. He said that he will fix those two parts and play trial and error.
I am like OK, well fix whats needed under my extended warranty being that i only have a $100 deductible, but do not want to make several trips for this issue.
Oh and mind you, he said because my car is an 05 its going to have squeaks and rattles because his 2008 Hyundai Sonata has major creaks, squeaks and rattles. NOW forgive me but isn't that comparing apples to oranges??
I apologize for my rants and will update once those parts gets fixed today and they do their road-test to figure out if the control arms and/or the steering knuckle was the source of the issue.
FYI: I Did do alot of research on this before opening a thread, because other threads are providing possible part solutions but never providing what part fixed the issue.

Update to this!!!!!

After retrieving my car back from the dealership they replaced the both driver and passenger Lower Control Arms. They did not specify whether the inner bushing was the source but it was cheaper on their end to replaced the whole arm (with the extended warranty). As noted by Fire0nic3, "It's the inner bushing on the lower control arm. Not the bushing from the control arm to the strut, but the inner bushing before that." Just to confirm.
Nevertheless, they also replaced the Driver Steering Knuckle and put felt tape on the intake where it it touching the low end of the a/c line. Doubting that made a difference he said it helped

Being that one of the two parts corrected the issue. The squeaking is gone, and now we would never know what solved it lol. I have a good feeling that the lower control arms corrected the issue.

Thanks everyone for hearing me out and listening to my rants

Last edited by vitamin.v; 12-24-2015 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:59 AM
Received 130 Likes on 125 Posts
Can you describe the squeak a little more, like metal on metal...does it change with RPM or tire speed or turning to one side over the other?

Old 12-15-2015, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by VenomGT9
Can you describe the squeak a little more, like metal on metal...does it change with RPM or tire speed or turning to one side over the other?
It it going in small dips and/or speed bumps in the road approx. 5-10 mph (noticed more in apartment complexes where the speed limit is about 5-15 mph and a lot of dips and drainage vents in the middle of the road). It does not change in noise when turning side to side, it is constant. It does not change when weather is warm, hot or cold. As far as metal on metal, i want to say yes, but cannot confirm. Here is a link to someone having the same squeaking/clunking noise i am experiencing more so at 0:15 - 0:17 secs (the driver in the video is turning his steering wheel at that moment but in my case it is both going straight and turning slightly).

Old 12-15-2015, 01:16 PM
Received 130 Likes on 125 Posts
Almost sounds like a loose wheel if that's what's happening, maybe near the caliper.
Try removing the front sway bar and end links, see if it changes. Next step would be looking at the struts.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by VenomGT9
Almost sounds like a loose wheel if that's what's happening, maybe near the caliper.
Try removing the front sway bar and end links, see if it changes. Next step would be looking at the struts.
Hey, VenomGT9, i doubt it is a loose wheel being that its been torqued to spec. As far as removing the front sway bar and end links, i haven't tried that yet, but would be an option. I have yet to hear back from the dealership on whether or not the lower control arms or driver steering knuckle was/is the cause. I was also thinking it might be struts but cant confirm though. The car has 112k G35 Coupe stock, so i guess i will await hearing from my service adviser to see whats up.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:41 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I had that same EXACT noise on my 06 G35 sedan.

It's the inner bushing on the lower control arm. Not the bushing from the control arm to the strut, but the inner bushing before that.

Very very common failure on the G and Z

Old 12-19-2015, 02:44 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i know it sounds obvious, but have you checked all your ball joints? could be the inner tie rods as well.

if its your balljoints and the dealer hasnt mentioned it, you better never go there again. sounds like they're dumb as hell to be honest or jerking you around. who the hell says that could be the intake??? your steering wheel even looks flimsy when you turn it, maybe check the steering rack (just read its not your car in the vid nvm). still all the things i posted would be good to visually check (if youre knowledgeable do it yourself and check your front ball joints in the wheel hub, comp rod and upper control arms, i never trust the dealer).

more like a creaking jangly sound. sounds like somethings loose.

all my OEM ball joints in the front were shot (not bad but i could move them with my hand pretty easy although they stood straight up) and i have 60K miles on my 2007. Althought i dont have alot of clunking, im expecting it and i do have a very very small clunk when i hit the steering lock left or right.

Last edited by Ricky Ramos; 12-19-2015 at 03:00 AM.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:57 AM
Update to this!!!!!

After retrieving my car back from the dealership they replaced the both driver and passenger Lower Control Arms. They did not specify whether the inner bushing was the source but it was cheaper on their end to replaced the whole arm (with the extended warranty). As noted by Fire0nic3, "It's the inner bushing on the lower control arm. Not the bushing from the control arm to the strut, but the inner bushing before that." Just to confirm.
Nevertheless, they also replaced the Driver Steering Knuckle and put felt tape on the intake where it it touching the low end of the a/c line. Doubting that made a difference he said it helped

Being that one of the two parts corrected the issue. The squeaking is gone, and now we would never know what solved it lol. I have a good feeling that the lower control arms corrected the issue.

Thanks everyone for hearing me out and listening to my rants