Overheating drivers rear??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overheating drivers rear??

2004 Infiniti G35 Sedan
So I was on the highway today, and the car started shaking as if I had an unbalanced wheel. Got out and inspected it and only the drivers rear rotor was very very hot and smelt as if it was burning. I rebuilt the brakes this evening, lubed both pins and ensured that the piston was moving freely. All the axels and driveline seem to be in good shape. Drove home after the rebuild and the car feels normal however still has a lot of heat from just the drivers rear. Any ideas?
Thank you!!!

Old 12-17-2015, 10:35 PM
Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by JoshuaDunand
2004 Infiniti G35 Sedan
So I was on the highway today, and the car started shaking as if I had an unbalanced wheel. Got out and inspected it and only the drivers rear rotor was very very hot and smelt as if it was burning. I rebuilt the brakes this evening, lubed both pins and ensured that the piston was moving freely. All the axels and driveline seem to be in good shape. Drove home after the rebuild and the car feels normal however still has a lot of heat from just the drivers rear. Any ideas?
Thank you!!!
Sounds like a seized caliper. Had one on mine shortly after doing a brake job.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:40 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by DigitalDeviant
Sounds like a seized caliper.
Chances are very good this is the culprit....^....driven far enough your rotor will get red hot and warp. Replace the caliper, I'd do both sides along with pads...Gary

Old 12-24-2015, 10:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JoshuaDunand
2004 Infiniti G35 Sedan
Thank you!!!
Just replace the caliper. Although you cleaned up and lubed the pins it will not be long before the same thing happens again. The rear calipers on these cars are known for seizing up.

Old 01-31-2016, 05:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same problem about 50k miles ago, drivers side rear. I had discs and pads replaced on both rears and a new caliper on the one that was dragging. The other day a heard some metallic noise and thought I need new pads. I checked and same side running hot again so I pulled them out and replaced the pads, cleaned all the components real good and put back together. That side is still hot, though not as much. Any ideas? Seems like a coincidence that it is on the same side even though a different caliper.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:32 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Check your wheel bearing and make sure your ebrake is disengaging.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:16 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Rear calipers are cheap...i'd just replace it..or both since failing rear calipers is a common issue