do any of the vendors have better price than rockauto?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do any of the vendors have better price than rockauto?

I've been comparing the prices of some struts complete sets for my 2005 g35 sedan rwd
every single vendor I asked had higher prices than Rockauto. are the vendors just ordering from rockauto and tacking on a extra 30$ - 100$ ? I was comparing a few different vendors prices of the kyb shocks which rock auto has. a few brands like koni and tokico rock auto didn't have but I found those brands to be cheaper with a simple google search in 30 seconds.

so are the vendors just generally higher prices ? or do they actually have any good deals ever?

Old 03-22-2016, 05:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Other vendors are not ordering from RockAuto and tacking on extra money.

More than likely, they don't order in nearly as much volume as a big vendor like RockAuto. This means they can't get the parts as cheaply, so they have to charge more to make a profit margin that makes sense for them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economies_of_scale

Old 03-22-2016, 06:23 PM
i'm aware of how selling stuff works thats why I shop for the best price.
I think the forum gives people the impression they are getting a deal. The vendors often claim it's a great price as well. seems like the forum should have more reputable vendors. I haven't seen any post discussing this issue, maybe I didn't know what to search for. I'm curious why in the vendor threads no one I've seen responds saying hey it's cheaper over here. would those type of posts get deleted or something?

although the vendors probably do have good deals on some items. There is a great selection of parts that is awesome. On struts, it definitely seems like shopping elsewhere is the best bet.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:47 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Basically rockauto is under cutting every parts supply stores. They can accept a lower profit margin in exchange for high volume. My guess is the vendors simply don't sell much of these "maintenance" items. I personally buy from rockauto for fix and repair items, then shop around the different vendors for upgrade/performance parts that don't exist on rockauto.

Most vendors also price match, I haven't tried to see if they'd price match rockauto, but they do match other vendors.

I've dealt with several vendors on here and found them all to be very helpful, so you're statement about the forum needing "more reputable" vendors is a little unfair. The fact that you found a better deal on KYB shocks/struts from a different online warehouse isn't exactly a refection of the vendors here as a whole.

The following users liked this post:
S 854 (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 10:03 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Yes, the vendors here are higher, but I'm willing to use them because they KNOW the product. They give good service. They make suggestions for parts/stuff I might need to complete the job. You develop a relationship. I prefer Importpartspro.com, Kyle has served me well.

Tex

The following users liked this post:
S 854 (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 12:32 PM
first experience

Well it was my first experience browsing the vendor classifieds and the vendors I talked to seemed less than helpful were actually brief with me and didn't answer my questions the first time I had to email again and ask again.

I think it should not be allowed to list "we have great prices, pm for prices"
I mean just list the prices . That right there is not building the greatest reputation. I figure most people that own g35's have alot of money and don't care about the best deal. If I was a vendor I'd probably capitalize on that too.

by no means am I insulting the entire vendor marketplace. just a heads up to people who think the best prices are there to look around.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by ninjabong

I mean just list the prices . That right there is not building the greatest reputation.
On this we can agree.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:46 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I mean just list the prices .

Thats what I thought when I first read a post saying that. I even inquired about a vortech supercharger from a g35driver vendor and his price was $400 more than what you can find online. I mean what do these vendors think we just pick a vendor and add to cart not asking questions or doing research for the best deals?! It's hilarious the prices I be getting on driver smh lol

Old 03-23-2016, 05:35 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by sick_sixspeed
I mean just list the prices .

Thats what I thought when I first read a post saying that. I even inquired about a vortech supercharger from a g35driver vendor and his price was $400 more than what you can find online. I mean what do these vendors think we just pick a vendor and add to cart not asking questions or doing research for the best deals?! It's hilarious the prices I be getting on driver smh lol
from what ive seen ebay is always cheaper too

Old 03-23-2016, 06:06 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jerseytaylor
from what ive seen ebay is always cheaper too

eBay is iffy. I try to order directly through the manufacturer. If not, then a reputable well known company will do. But these vendors on here smh I could be a vendor on here and play the middle man and act like I can get you anything you want just pay me money that you don't have to and wait longer than you need and I'll get you what you want. Lol

Old 03-24-2016, 10:21 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by ninjabong

I agree. If i have to ask you for pricing, that's just too much work for me. I'll go elsewhere where i can see the pricing for a particular part.

But to answer your question, for 99% of most repair and maintanence parts I buy (control arms, brake rotors, pads, etc) , rockauto usually has the best pricing.

One exception is that I have found Timkin (OEM) wheel bearings on Amazon are cheaper than Rockauto.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:26 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The constant bumping of sales threads is the biggest complaint I have with vendors on this forum.

It's frustrating to check the "New Posts" section and there are 4 real threads mixed in with a million bumps.

As far as RockAuto, I usually check there to get the O.E.M. part # and then search it on eBay, Amazon, locally, etc...

It's getting better, but don't trust eBay or Amazon's "This will fit your vehicle." thing.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:14 AM
The vendor threads outnumber the member threads 20 to 1 on most days.