Dual Caliper/Hydro E-brake

Old 10-04-2016, 12:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dual Caliper/Hydro E-brake

Whats going on fella's. Im going to be installing a dual caliper/hydro e-brake on to my daily/drift 05' 6mt.

Dual Caliper/Hydro E-brake-img_4489.jpg

I have almost all of the parts, just missing rear oem brembo caliper bolts, fabricate a mounting bracket and just some cutting or removal of center console.
Im taking my time with this, of course, according to spare time and $$$...

Got my brackets through maverick-motorsports.
Hydro E-brake is from ASD motorsports.
Will be using Allstar Performance brake lines.
Earl's fittings/adapters.
Jeg's banjo bolts.
OEM brembo rear calipers.

So...
Ive removed my center console and rear seats to run the brake lines.
Ive put the center console back together.
I will be fabricating a bolt-on bracket for my ASD hydro. That way I can take it off, put it on for what ever reason.

Dual Caliper/Hydro E-brake-img_4515.jpg

What I have so far is the lines laid out, drilled some holes to run the lines from the cabin to the calipers.

Dual Caliper/Hydro E-brake-img_4516.jpg
Dual Caliper/Hydro E-brake-img_4513.jpg

My next step would be to remove the hub and install the bracket and calipers.

Hydro install will be my last step. Waiting on a bucket seat, install and then figure out where the hydro will be sitting.

Old 10-04-2016, 12:51 AM
More photos of parts and stuff to come.
TO BE CONTINUED...

Old 10-07-2016, 02:12 AM
Was able to get some work done these past days.
Unfortunately for me, this is a learning experience.
It took me about 4-6 hours for just on side! (Only getting the brackets and dual calipers installed). I thought this process was going to be easier, but I was SOOOOO wrong.

Brackets came with everything I needed except.....some instructions. But thats ok we did our best (my pops was interested in what I was doing and decided to help me out).

OK!
So, here are some steps..
First thing first, secure the vehicle, lift and remove the wheels.

Next, loosen up the huge axel nut that sits inside the rotor (might need a breaker bar, cuz I sure as hell did).
Dual Caliper/Hydro E-brake-img_4518.jpg

After you remove this nut, you want to remove the axel.
Now the axel nuts/bolts were really tight that I was having a hard time loosening them (my car was lifted on jacks, I don't have a lift), so what I did was used an impact gun with a 14 socket.
Upon removal of the axel, you might want to either remove the sway bar or unbolt it from the side you are working first then vice versa.
Dual Caliper/Hydro E-brake-img_4525.jpg

Once the axel is off, remove the 4 hub bolts ( again, super tight, so I used an impact gun) and also the dust shield/parking brake bracket bolts.

Ok, so this dual caliper kit ELIMINATES YOUR PARKING BRAKE!!
So, when I figured this out, I had two options, put that dust shield aside, or some how some way figure out how to keep the parking brake.
Since it is my DAILY/drift car, I decided to go the hard route and incorporate my parking brake.
With a grinder, we cut off the dust shield (you need the bracket!) and also had to shave off a bit of the bracket in order to fit spacers on the parking brake bracket (is this safe, IDK, I hope so........because DRIFTO!!!! I hope...)
Photos of the bracket after the alterations, I have, but its not shown clearly, I will try to get another shot of it for you all.
Dual Caliper/Hydro E-brake-img_4520.jpg

Moving along, install time.
The parking brake gets spacers, (im using the spacers provided in the kit which are meant for the stock calipers) Now, I didn't measure them so Im not sure what size they are. You will need a total of 12 spacers(6 for each side; 2-oem calipers, 2-dual caliper, 2-parking brake bracket).
You are to put the spacers in between the dust shield and parking brake bracket, then assemble your parking brake assembly. (had to shave off from the dual caliper bracket a bit more to clear spacers)
After this, you bolt up your hub, thrown on your rotors, then mount the calipers and then.... on to the next side.
Dual Caliper/Hydro E-brake-img_4527.jpg
Dual Caliper/Hydro E-brake-img_4529.jpg
Dual Caliper/Hydro E-brake-img_4530.jpg
Dual Caliper/Hydro E-brake-img_4526.jpg
Dual Caliper/Hydro E-brake-img_4531.jpg

I knocked out one side (the day it took me about 6 hours....) in a day, then the following day which only took me 2 1/2 hours, the next day.

Now, my only issue is, my rotor on my left side (the second side I did) is rubbing against something and there is a loud grinding noise. This will get checked out the next day.
Im most certain its the spacers I put on the parking brake bracket. Im thinking it isn't thick enough so its not properly clearing.

The next step I will be taking, after I fix the grinding noise, is connecting and fastening the brake lines.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Pretty cool, I owned a stunt bike with a dual caliper set up and never thought about it for a car. The concept NSX has the dual caliper setup in the rear factory.

Didn't know this was possible to retrofit onto a car. Nice work.

The following users liked this post:
DanielDrummer14 (10-08-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 12:48 AM
All I need is to fab a mounting bracket and mount the hydro and then bleed the calipers.

Today I fixed some complications: spacers for the calipers were to big, pushed out to far and were rubbing on the rotor, and then the parking brake line was too tight that the car felt like it as sluggish and a clunking sound. After looking for something that was maybe rubbing (like the lines?) I thought, maybe its the parking brake since it felt like I was driving with the ebrake on... I decided to loosen the parking brake a bit and it worked out. Going to loosen it another notches more tomorrow, theres a very faint clunking noise.
I also ran the lines and fastened them, all that awaits, again, is the hydro bracket and then placement. But so far, so good.

Dual Caliper/Hydro E-brake-img_4541.jpg

Dual Caliper/Hydro E-brake-img_4540.jpg

Dual Caliper/Hydro E-brake-img_4539.jpg

Dual Caliper/Hydro E-brake-img_4538.jpg

Dual Caliper/Hydro E-brake-img_4537.jpg

Dual Caliper/Hydro E-brake-img_4536.jpg

Dual Caliper/Hydro E-brake-img_4533.jpg

Dual Caliper/Hydro E-brake-img_4532-2.jpg

Here are some of the photos of the spacers and of the bracket shaved a bit.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.