Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

Looking to buy coupe, what is too many miles?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to buy coupe, what is too many miles?

Looking to buy 2003 g35 for 9 grand. Body and interior look beautiful and well taken care of. However its currently sitting at 130000 miles give or take. I come from toyotas and know that with care that's nothing. But is this thinking the same for infiniti/nissans? I havent had a look under the hood yet and plan to have my mechanic take a look at it before I purchase. Also dealer has warranties available for purchase. So after this long novel how many is too many miles when purchasing a g35?

Old 01-19-2014, 10:17 PM
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Find out how many owners it's had. If only one or two owners it should be fine as long as they kept up with the maintenance. Check the carfax and make sure it hasn't been in a wreck. Also like you said have somebody check it thoroughly before you purchase it. GL

Old 01-19-2014, 10:20 PM
Thanks stubie. I didnt think about multiple owners.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:12 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
With care, that's not a whole lot of miles for most cars. The key here is how well was it cared for. If no maintainence was done, i'd be wary, but if cared for, i would expect you to get many more miles.

Plenty of guys here have up over 150K miles. I have 140K on mine...and still take it on 100+ mile drives at least once every couple of weeks

Old 01-20-2014, 08:58 AM
Thanks mustang. The body and interior look very well cared for so fingers crossed gonna stop by today and take it for a test drive. I drive 50 miles roundtrip every day for work so i want to make sure if i get this she'll be here to stay for a while.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:55 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
With care, that's not a whole lot of miles for most cars. The key here is how well was it cared for. If no maintainence was done, i'd be wary, but if cared for, i would expect you to get many more miles.

Plenty of guys here have up over 150K miles. I have 140K on mine...and still take it on 100+ mile drives at least once every couple of weeks
I have over 150K on mine, and a good friend has over 165K on his. My last Infiniti had over 250K before I sold it (it was still running pretty good).

It's all about maintenance. There's a thread here recently of a guy who just got one with 90K and has a huge laundry list of items from a dealer inspection.

If I was paying $9K for a car with 130K miles, I'd pay for a full inspection for peace of mind.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:27 AM
Yea im definitely going to have it looked over hopefully twice by mechanics not with the dealership.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
The dealership doesn't necessarily do a bad job of looking it over, on my initial used inspection they found more and gave me a discount on services compared to an independent Nissan mechanic.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:00 PM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
I bought my G from a Nissan dealer.They had it listed that you could get extended warranty with it.It had all the service records since new with it.It is an 05x with 84,650 miles one owner.I bought last yr. They had an 07 G35 listed as is with 70,000 miles.The nissan dealer checks their cars very well! It all depends on the dealer if they want to sell you a good car or just make money. I ran the 07 thru carfax it wasnt maintained at all! I bought the 05 they gave me the 2 yr warranty thru nissan.The car looks like new well maintained. Its the 3rd car Ive got thru Classic Nissan in Hainesport NJ! I cant complain the car is in great condition for a 9 yr old car and runs and drives like new. Mileage is one thing maintenence is the most important thing to look for! A well maintained car will last!

Old 01-20-2014, 06:47 PM
I got a 2006 in October 2013. It had 90K miles on it.

It loooks like crap as far as I am concerned but I keep my cars perfect throughout their tenure with me. It is black so the worst to try to keep pristine. This one has several paint blemishes, No big deal. Just a swipe or 2 with touch up brush and ok.

Mine came with CARFAX = 1 Owner and the thing had a good history of going to Infinity for service.

Today I have 2 problems I am hunting remedy for.

1) Burning rubber/belt smell sometimes.
First thing I did was have the belts changed = wrong. The old ones were good and no change.
A lot of inspection for oil leaks and none are showing up.
Keep driving is decision.

2) Window is acting funny. I goes down about 4" on it's own sometimes.
There is a reset procedure on this site I will do son as this will probably fix it.

So, I bought one with 90K on it and I am still pretty satisfied.

I came here first and read up before buying. I knew the window motors go out and the valve covers craack which leads to bad performance.

If covers ever go on you...There is some info here about using MAXIMA covers and they are much cheaper.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:37 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Best advice...walk away!

Arl33323, that's a lot of miles on a G35! I'm sure you could find a coupe with 1/3rd that mileage for the same price, you just need to be patient and search. With 130K miles the engine is using more than a quart every 1K miles, who knows what's going on with the suspension and then there's the window motors and locks. If the warranty isn't Nissan's forget it, all other warranty's are bogus...not worth the paper they're written on!
Gary

Old 01-20-2014, 09:12 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
I bought my 04 in 2011 with 79xxx miles and it now has 122k. Other than some bushings it has not had a single problem (knock on wood). Runs like a top. Of course I take my maintenance to a retarded level and it was obvious that the previous owner had a lot of respect for the car. Anyway, no oil leaks, no burning of oil (maybe a 3rd of a quart when I change it at 4000 miles but that's normal for any car). As long as the car is not a salvage I would have no problems buying one with 130k. I would however ask the inspector to look at front end bushings and if they're bad use that as ammo and get the car down to $8k-8500.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:47 PM
I bought my 2005 last July with 130K on it, it has 142K now, I drive it any chance I get. It uses 1 qt every 4700 miles, I change the oil every 7-8K.
I've had the rear sub-frame off to replace all the bushings and the only one that really needed it was the oil filled one on the differential. The front bushings were also in good shape and the compression rod bushings still have their oil.
Unless they show that the plugs have been changed, you'll want to do that(not hard, not super easy) I replaced all my shocks with aftermarket coilovers(Stance GR+) in the front and used the stock spring mounts in the back with the aftremarket shocks and springs, my original left front shock was blown. Look at the front tires, if there is more wear on the inner portion you probably have the stock upper control arms(not adjustable for camber), with aftermarket you will get adjustability and increased tire life up front, even with stock suspension.
I have 2 other Nissans actually J30s and they both have 240K+ on them, they don't use much oil either.
I waited a long long long time to get my G, until this year, mine would have gone for 16K easy but I got it no haggling for 9500. It was well cared for and garaged and it shows, as every body/engine/suspension part I have removed came off easily and looked virtually new.
It would be great if you could get it on a rack and really take a look at the bushings/shocks/springs/rubber parts.

Good Luck!
They are a blast to drive, and look fing bitchin.