Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

Pre-Purchase 2005 G35X Sedan - Things to lookout for before buying?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pre-Purchase 2005 G35X Sedan - Things to lookout for before buying?

Hey guys,

I am looking to joining the G35 club. I found a nice 2005 G35X Sedan with relatively low mileage 66,000 Miles for $7,800 (Pretty sure I can negotiate down to $7,000) as far as the seller has told me is it currently requires a front wheel bearing and the rear bumper has a slight scratch. He told me the maintenance of the vehicle has always been upheld at an Infinty dealership he is the 2nd owner. I required the service documents and the last service was done at 55163 Miles so some distance has been done since the last maintenance or he hasn't done it at an Infinity dealership. (I will post the service log below) Is there anything I should look out specifically for this year & model. I will get the vehicle inspected at an Infinity dealership but would greatly appreciate your feedback what you guys consider about this buy.

Also I find it fishy that at the last service there was a bearing issue present and there still is a year later and 11,000 miles after, could it be he never fixed it or it presented itself again?

Let me know what you think,
Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Pre-Purchase 2005 G35X Sedan - Things to lookout for before buying?-infinity.jpg   Pre-Purchase 2005 G35X Sedan - Things to lookout for before buying?-infinity-2.jpg   Pre-Purchase 2005 G35X Sedan - Things to lookout for before buying?-infinity-3.jpg   Pre-Purchase 2005 G35X Sedan - Things to lookout for before buying?-infinity-4.jpg  
Old 02-21-2014, 09:29 PM
SERVICE RECORDS are attached on this post as PDF couldn't post it was too long

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SERVICE RECORDS.pdf (182.7 KB, 111 views)
Old 02-21-2014, 10:14 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Thats a great price! But priced real low compared to others. Definately look into this before buying. Good luck.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:35 PM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
I read the service records. It stated the mileage at 88,000! That is the first listing. There is 20,000 miles between some of the work! Why is some of the service records in french or another foreign language? I think it is fake records. There is no name of the company that worked on it.service records will have mileage in and out when work was performed! The car was a yr old and had 21,000 miles on it and they listed they did the 36,000 mile maintenence! Also it says they mounted and balanced 4 tires for $86. You cant buy a good tire that cheap let alone buy 4. I wouldn't buy that car! I think they have you set up to get taken! I bought a 05 G35X last august it had 84,650 miles on it.It came with all the service records with it since mile 15 from infiniti I paid $11,000. A G35X with 66,000 would sell for $13,000-14,000. Get the vin number and have infiniti run it. To see if any maintenance was done by them.Do not buy that car!!!! Keep looking you will find a gem instead of that possible lemon! Have you shown those so called service records to anyone? I bet they will tell you not to buy it if you do show them those papers!

Old 02-21-2014, 11:24 PM
I looked at the records again. It seems like it was getting tire mounted and balanced alot.They performed the maintenance 10,000 miles early most of the time. They said they performed the 90,000 mile maintenence for $69 that is $640 cheaper than Infiniti told me it would cost to do mine.If you can get the car on a lift and check the cv joints and boots. Check the rack and pinion for leaks and transfer case, transmission and the rear for leaks.Start the car up let it idle for 10 minutes check the temp. Taking it to infiniti to have them check jt out is the best thing to do! Do that before you buy it. Its the service records he gave you that has me second guessing the car. And him not wanting the bearings replaced. Its not cheap to do. But if they seize thats bad! I got a two yr bumper to bumper warranty with my 05x.I love my G35X! It is so much fun to drive! And the awd handle great! You will feel what im talking about when you get behind the wheel. I wish you good luck on the Infiniti inspection!

Old 02-22-2014, 05:37 AM
Originally Posted by Gman56
I looked at the records again. It seems like it was getting tire mounted and balanced alot.They performed the maintenance 10,000 miles early most of the time. They said they performed the 90,000 mile maintenence for $69 that is $640 cheaper than Infiniti told me it would cost to do mine.If you can get the car on a lift and check the cv joints and boots. Check the rack and pinion for leaks and transfer case, transmission and the rear for leaks.Start the car up let it idle for 10 minutes check the temp. Taking it to infiniti to have them check jt out is the best thing to do! Do that before you buy it. Its the service records he gave you that has me second guessing the car. And him not wanting the bearings replaced. Its not cheap to do. But if they seize thats bad! I got a two yr bumper to bumper warranty with my 05x.I love my G35X! It is so much fun to drive! And the awd handle great! You will feel what im talking about when you get behind the wheel. I wish you good luck on the Infiniti inspection!
1. I live in Quebec hence the french
2. I figured on the log the mileage is in KM since we use that unit of measurement so I converted then for you guys but I'd have to check with the dealership what their unit is to ensure there was no rollback
3. I got the documents sent to me personally from Luciani Infinity, the dealership gave me the records

Definitely gonna inspect this vehicle thoroughly but I appreciate the heads up on what to look at anything else?

Old 02-22-2014, 03:17 PM
Leaks are the easiest to see. When on lift spin wheels. When you do that touch the spring on the wheel to see if you can feel any clunk of the bearing. The dealer showed me that when my car was on the lift.bearings are not cheap to fix.That is a great price for the G! I hope it all checks out for you. I love driving my x!

Old 02-22-2014, 07:27 PM
Leaks are the easiest to see. When on lift spin wheels. When you do that touch the spring on the wheel to see if you can feel any clunk of the bearing. The dealer showed me that when my car was on the lift.bearings are not cheap to fix.That is a great price for the G! I hope it all checks out for you. I love driving my x!
So I went to check out the g today, the car is in an alright conditions not amazing but not bad needs a bit of love. First things I noticed;
- Bearing acts up really badly guessing he didn't fix it for a while
- The driver door has surface rust on the inside and little bubbles on the outside on the window frame supposingly it is under warranty can someone verify this please?
- Driver seat has a big rip in the leather on the side about a foot long (Caused ny dog supposingly)
- The rubber around the window frame is slightly out of place
- Rear bumper paint has paint chips needs to be repainted no actual damage on the bumper

The owner has no idea if the valves have been fixed regarding oil consumption issue I will check when I get it inspected.

Oh yah I get him down to 6500 maybe I can get him to 6 on the day of the sale hehe

Old 02-22-2014, 08:16 PM
I forgot too mention the steering wheel was extremely stiff is this caused by the bearing? Any other suggestions

Old 02-23-2014, 01:03 AM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
If it's a Quebec car is likely a rust bucket. Too much salt on the roads plus other *****, year after year after year.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:50 AM
Originally Posted by CanadianBird
If it's a Quebec car is likely a rust bucket. Too much salt on the roads plus other *****, year after year after year.
That's the case with all the cars here, and you got to love our beautiful 5 inche deep pot holes..

Old 02-23-2014, 08:11 AM
Repairs estimate?

So I'm just about to purchase a 2005 G35X Sedan with 107,000KM which is 67~Miles for $6,500 at the moment maybe I can get him down to $6,000 day of transfer, while inspecting the car I noticed a couple of things I would have to fix which I wanted to see how much each would cost, need to fix this baby up and make her a beauty again.

- Driver side bearing is pretty much shot (Lazy bastard never fixed it)
- Driver seat on the side has ripped leather pretty much a foot long
- Rear window has the plastic rubber peeling out of the frame can it just be fixed or needs to be placed?
- The gas tank cap seize up in winter and has to be manually open from the trunk any suggestion on a quick easy fix?
- Rear bumper needs a new paint job, paint started chipping
- The car had been hit on the driver fender supposingly didn't touch the frame (I'll see when I get it on a lift tomorrow).. But now when you close the hood there is a slight gap as if it had been misaligned I'm guessing that's a quick fix, just a question of loosening it and re-aligning it.

I see a lot of potential in the car, unfortunately the owner was a lazy ***** when I went to go see it, didn't take the time to clean the inside or outside of the car. He barely put gas in the car I was worried when we we're driving out I would make the car die out. But by the looks of it the G runs just fine just needs a bit of love. What you guys think?

Oh yah not sure but when I was driving it the steering was a bit stiffer than other vehicles even compared to my 09 A4 Audi, I know the G's are known to be a bit stiff but felt rough maybe it was a combination of the bearing and the stiffness of G's

I'll have pics up tomorrow.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:29 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Wheel bearing would have no impact on the steering. I know my car's steering is a bit firm, but nothing that dramatic.

Wheel bearing can be expensive depending on who fixes it. If you go to a dealer, they quoted me $900 parts and labor to change out a wheel bearing. i did it myself for $275 in parts. It's a bit of a tricky job so if you aren't mechanically inclined, expect to spend $500-700 to have an independant shop change it out. The AWD cars are bad with their front wheels bearings. I have 135K on my X, and i'm about to change out front wheel bearing #3.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:32 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I read the service records. It stated the mileage at 88,000! That is the first listing. There is 20,000 miles between some of the work! Why is some of the service records in french or another foreign language? I think it is fake records. There is no name of the company that worked on it.service records will have mileage in and out when work was performed! The car was a yr old and had 21,000 miles on it and they listed they did the 36,000 mile maintenence! Also it says they mounted and balanced 4 tires for $86. You cant buy a good tire that cheap let alone buy 4. I wouldn't buy that car! I think they have you set up to get taken! I bought a 05 G35X last august it had 84,650 miles on it.It came with all the service records with it since mile 15 from infiniti I paid $11,000. A G35X with 66,000 would sell for $13,000-14,000. Get the vin number and have infiniti run it. To see if any maintenance was done by them.Do not buy that car!!!! Keep looking you will find a gem instead of that possible lemon! Have you shown those so called service records to anyone? I bet they will tell you not to buy it if you do show them those papers!

It's a canadian car they speak French there and those mileage listings are in KM. The car has 107000 km, or 66K miles.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:12 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
That's a hell of a price.. Looks like you know why given the poor maintenance/condition.

Sounds like you are doing your homework though, good job!

As others said a car with that mileage in good condition should be goin for $13-14K.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pre-Purchase 2005 G35X Sedan - Things to lookout for before buying?