Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

Time To Buy - Looking for some Feedback

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time To Buy - Looking for some Feedback

Hey everyone I've been waiting a long long time to finally step into the G35. I live in CO and have decided I will go with a 2003-06 G35X for the AWD. I plan on doing some basic mods to it but mainly just making it a clean looking ride, it's something I have wanted to have for at least a couple years. My only concern is the price of these cars are still pretty up there in my area, even for ones with high mileage. I don't really want to have to spend over $11k and I feel like that is fairly reasonable since the car is nearly 10 years old now. I'm having difficulties finding a good deal for something with lower miles (around 100k). I've found a few that are around 115-130k that are in my price range, but just not sure that I'd be happy with watching the miles climb knowing I wanted to have it for a few years. Not having an infiniti before, are they pretty reliable even above 150k miles if it is taken care? I would baby this thing but I just can't decide if I should start the babying process on a car that is already low on miles or right around what I have previously purchased cars at which is 115k. Thanks for your time

Old 03-04-2014, 11:54 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Yes and no. Haha

The mechanical parts (engine and tranny and stuff) are good for well over 100k. I would have no problem paying $11k for one if there were no noises or rough idling or weird vibrations. Be sure to test drive.

After my experiences tho, I will arm you with these negotiating points: the suspension sucks, the interior may have some problems (broken Bose stereo if equipped, torn leathers and scratched plastics), and chipped paint on front. None of these are deal breakers tho! So its still worth it. Look at (or have them looked at if you don't know about it) and ask about lower control arm bushings, inside tire wear, compression rod bushings and steering knuckle ball joints (for grease leaks).

Also, if its a Bose system, bring a CD with you and play it to make sure sound comes out of the left side while playing CDs. And look for paint chips on the front bumper. Don't let a good wax job distract you.

All of these things will give you reasons to ask for him to bring the price down. If they all check out, however, he's probably taken pretty good care of it so you can decide from there.

The following users liked this post:
Septumm (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
That and it's 05-06 only for AWD. I personally would avoid over 100k but it's all relative.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by Gdirtyfive55
Yes and no. Haha

The mechanical parts (engine and tranny and stuff) are good for well over 100k. I would have no problem paying $11k for one if there were no noises or rough idling or weird vibrations. Be sure to test drive.

After my experiences tho, I will arm you with these negotiating points: the suspension sucks, the interior may have some problems (broken Bose stereo if equipped, torn leathers and scratched plastics), and chipped paint on front. None of these are deal breakers tho! So its still worth it. Look at (or have them looked at if you don't know about it) and ask about lower control arm bushings, inside tire wear, compression rod bushings and steering knuckle ball joints (for grease leaks).

Also, if its a Bose system, bring a CD with you and play it to make sure sound comes out of the left side while playing CDs. And look for paint chips on the front bumper. Don't let a good wax job distract you.

All of these things will give you reasons to ask for him to bring the price down. If they all check out, however, he's probably taken pretty good care of it so you can decide from there.
Excellent response I really appreciate that! I will take a good look and make sure that everything checks out, and if not try and negotiate
The last g I looked at definitely had some chips on the front bumper as well as some raddle (at low speeds even) so I backed off a while back and figured I would wait until I find something nice.
It seems worth it to invest the couple extra thousand for something that will actually be able to be sold in a few years, I haven't seen any listings for anything over the 150k mark so that's also got me a little nervous on getting something with higher miles, but feedback always helps the final decision!

Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
That and it's 05-06 only for AWD. I personally would avoid over 100k but it's all relative.
Thanks for letting me know that I wasn't sure actually. Had wanted a coupe forever but I need a daily driver and want to be prepared for the snow :P

Old 03-05-2014, 12:33 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Yes, but don't necessarily let rattles and weirdness in certain areas deter you. They're all fixable, and most likely will have to be corrected in one way or another anyhow. Just try to get the nicest one possible and pay as little as possible for it using the bullet points I listed. Even from the factory it is advantageous to change a few things. The car is not perfect, but with a few tweaks its great.

The following users liked this post:
Septumm (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 06:53 PM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
Mine is for sale but its 04 g35 Sedan RWD with 65k miles.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by 04G35NYC
Mine is for sale but its 04 g35 Sedan RWD with 65k miles.
Wish I could! Have looked at your thread plenty of times :P I am just set on AWD for now. Checked out a couple today and one was a decent price, getting my car listed on craigslist and if it's still there I will probably try and pick it up Test driving a car with 84k miles was quite nice seeings as I've never owned one with under 116k. Very excited to get my first G, they seem like spectacular cars. Hard to find though -.-