Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

Should I get it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 07:36 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Should I get it?

Im currently looking at an 06 coupe with around 68k miles on it and the price is about right for me. It is however a 6mt, now after a lot of reading im scared to buy the vehicle due to the oil consumption issue.

Thats the only reason why im nervous about it. The owner says it has no oil consumption issues at all but who knows right. There are "no other issues" with the car according to him.

My questions include - what happens if I get the car and it has the oil consumption issue? Are there a few things I could try before having to replace the piston rings and rebore the block. Ive read things like adding a catch can? replacing the pcv, valve cover, or using a thicker oil?

A third option is just to make sure the oil level is always high and drive it - anyone doing that. I wont have a warranty because its a private sale - can they still be bought from a dealer? - I dont think so...

Lastly how long will the oem transmission last? life of the vehicle?

Appreciate all the advice and i have searched just want to hear current owners opinions.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:43 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
pic of car? for starters OC issues just mean having to constantly monitor the problem. you can try those other things to maybe alleviate it as you see fit

Old 06-26-2014, 07:54 PM
Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
The OC issue isn't much of an issue. Just check the oil level from time to time and keep a bottle or 2 of oil in your trunk. That's what I do. The other suggestions are fine as well, some have actually worked.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:58 PM
Get it and enjoy every minute with it.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:18 PM
I saw a poll on here with the highest oil consumption issues on the 06 6mt.. would a smog test (HC levels) and compression test help determine if it does have a problem?

Old 06-26-2014, 09:46 PM
I have an 05, 6mt. Instead of having a bunch of test performed on my car, I just assumed it does have the OC issue. Like that old saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I've found the more you beat the cap out of the car the more you'll notice the OC issue. I drive my car hard (sometimes) but, my main goal is to enjoy it. I check my oil every 2 or 3 days not because of the OC issue but because I've done it to every car I've owned. If you're the type of person that takes good care of their things then the OC issue won't be a problem.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:48 PM
Banned
OC issues can be a problem though if oil is pooling up in the spark plugs

Old 06-26-2014, 09:54 PM
That's true but, checking the plugs isn't a hard thing to do. This forum is full of types of OC symptoms to look for and how to remedy them. Like I said if you're the type of person that takes care of their things. The OC issue won't be a problem.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:55 PM
Banned
Good point brooks
Wanted to make sure the op knew where to check

Old 06-26-2014, 10:00 PM
thanks guys, yeah i do all the work to my cars myself and I take great care of them. The compression test will show if the plugs are drenched in oil. Wont that be a bad valve cover.

So if I just monitor my OC and make sure I refill my oil and do regular oil changes 3k miles then I should be fine?

Also would replacing the piston rings with better ones, rebore the short block fix the issue?

Thanks

Old 06-26-2014, 10:52 PM
If you're g rodsoing to replace the piston rings (although I don't recommend it if there is no problem), you might as well build the engine to handle more power. That includes replacing not only the rings but the pistons, Connecting rods, cams. In short...everything.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks
If you're g rodsoing to replace the piston rings (although I don't recommend it if there is no problem), you might as well build the engine to handle more power. That includes replacing not only the rings but the pistons, Connecting rods, cams. In short...everything.
Okay yeah makes sense- but replacing the pistons and rings would fix the issue? I guess my question is why does the dealer replace the entire short block and not just the rings?

Old 06-26-2014, 11:25 PM
Because you have to check everything. You can't just throw in some pistons and think all will be well. It's easier to replace the short block than taking measurements to make sure the engine performs the way it should if not better.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:35 PM
so im going to take another look at the g tomorrow and possibly buy it. The owner now states its burning a little oil hes had to top it up since it was low last time he checked it. Again should I stay away or just deal with the issue

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.