Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

Click This Please - Buying a G35 Coupe 6MT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Click This Please - Buying a G35 Coupe 6MT

Hello G35 Drivers,

My name is Jeff and I am purchasing my very first G35. I was originally considering E46's and 335's, but decided against the headache that comes along with BMW ownership, not to mention my pockets aren't deep enough to repair either of those cars if something serious went wrong, VANOS, HPFP's, cracked frames, etc. Overall the G35 seemed like the more prudent choice, plus I've always been a fan of Nissan Z cars, I was even thinking of buying a 350z last year, but now after looking at the Infiniti's for so long the Z looks kind of retarded. The G's are a little bit harder to come by though and I'm very picky, the options that I will not negotiate on are: 05+ Coupe, 6 Speed, 19" Rays, Black Interior, Black/Silver Exterior. I have managed to find a few though, and I am going to see them this weekend so I have a couple questions that I'm sure you nice folks would be happy to answer for the umpteenth time. Now I'm well aware of the dreaded oil consumption problem that indiscriminately plagues the '05-'07 6MT's, but is there any way to diagnose this problem without driving the car a thousand miles? Will it blow blue smoke, or make an irregular noise? Are there even that many consumers on the road after 8 years or so? It seems that most would have either had the work done to correct the problem or been sent off to G35 heaven after all this time. Or is this a problem that is likely to develop later in the car's life? (I'm looking at vehicles with 65k-100k miles) The other question that I have pertains the attached pictures. I'm going to see this car on Saturday and I'm curious what you all think. I like everything about it except for the black roof and is it just me or does it sit a little too high in the front? Maybe it's the camera angle, or the tires, or this guy was the only one to not get the memo about lowering his G, but it just doesn't quite look to me like other examples that I've seen. Anyway, thank you for listening to my ramblings if you made it this far, and I appreciate any advice or feedback that you have to offer even if it doesn't pertain specifically to what I asked.

Thanks Again,
Jeff

And no, I have no intention of paying him $14,995 for it. It blue books at $13,000 what do you guys think about that for a price? It's very clean, but 99,000 miles on it.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:10 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
99k miles and $15k is a JOKE

I have a G by me with 30k miles for $15,4k

Keep searching
Both for your questions and for a different car

The following users liked this post:
JHereth22 (08-29-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 07:29 PM
Do you live in New Jersey? If so, feel free to send me the link, I'm not far from there.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:44 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
I've never seen an oil burner, but I assume (like any other car) they would have sooty tail pipes. Mine for instance burns almost zero oil and the inside of my tailpipes is a light rust color. If you burn a lot of oil, they tend to be black.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:55 PM
Update: That's a good look, Gdirtyfive, I'll definitely be sure to check that out, thanks. So I'm going to see 3 cars tomorrow, the black '05's ad expired so I do not have a picture of it, but I attached a photo of the other one. It's an '07 with 75k, he wants 15k for it which is about what it blue books for but I still really don't want to pay that. I hate the yellow calipers but that's an easy fix, I do not like the aftermarket exhaust, it looks cheap, and it looks like it might be lowered. Since the ad doesn't mention any work done to the suspension I'm assuming it's dropped only on springs, how does that affect performance? I can deal with a rough ride but I don't want to bounce down the highway or any nonsense like that. Any advice would be appreciated. Oh and I figured out why I don't like the looks of the car in the original post, it's missing the splash guards.

Sorry you have to click it.

Last edited by TreeFiddy; 08-29-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:08 PM
Banned
Lol those painted calipers are cute

Yeah I'm in NJ
I'll get you some links
The DG I found earlier sold this week. More will turn up.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:12 PM
Banned
Btw +1 on your choices to keep it classy.
Good chit

Old 08-29-2014, 10:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just in case you haven't read this before, These are extremely picky engines and especially in your mileage range is when bad previous ownership starts to rear it's ugly head. You obviously have heard about the oil consumption. you may want to check under the car for exhaust damage, the Y pipe likes to get beat up. Check the valve covers if there's any oil around the valve covers, you're buying new ones. Ensure all the console's buttons work. On earlier models, they love to fail in more ways than I care to mention. Make sure your 6 speed works flawlessly, it's an expensive repair. Early 6MT liked to blow through syncros. Check the splash guard underneath the engine, that will show you how much oil is leaking if any is. Check the overflow tank because if there isn't any water in there, its losing water from somewhere. Listen for timing chain rattle, coming from the front timing case. That's all the advice I can give you.

The following users liked this post:
TreeFiddy (08-29-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 10:27 PM
Awesome, thanks so much, I'm going to write all this down.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:37 PM
And that's just in addition to the general pre-purchase inspection on any vehicle.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:25 PM
Update: So I went and drove both cars, the 2006 is mint, I mean pretty much perfect inside and out. The only issue I had with it is that it felt a little sluggish. I don't know if it was because I wasn't used to the clutch or because I wasn't revving the motor high enough but it just didn't feel as quick as I expected it to, and I'm coming from a 2000 Eclipse GT with bolt ons... The engine ran great, no vibration, no odd noise, and the maintenance records show oil changes at Infiniti dealerships every 3-5k miles all the way back to 2006. Is there anything that could be robbing horsepower from an otherwise totally healthy car? Or was it my imagination?

Now the second car, that the link doesn't seem to be working on now, was a bit of a bucket. It was dropped on Teins with what appeared to be the stock shocks, it didn't ride bad but it wasn't nearly as refined as the stock suspension. It also had a really poorly paint matched rear bumper so who knows what happened back there, and furthermore when idling in neutral the shift **** would vibrate profusely. However, it was fast. I thought it felt faster than the first one, and all it has is a catback exhaust, that I know of. So I'm a bit torn, I don't have any idea what could make the '06 feel slow other than my not being used to driving it and it was so fastidiously maintained that I couldn't imagine anything is seriously wrong with it that wouldn't be apparent. Some people say an ECU reset can make the car drive better but I'm skeptical. Any thoughts?

Old 09-01-2014, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by TreeFiddy
Update: So I went and drove both cars, the 2006 is mint, I mean pretty much perfect inside and out. The only issue I had with it is that it felt a little sluggish. I don't know if it was because I wasn't used to the clutch or because I wasn't revving the motor high enough but it just didn't feel as quick as I expected it to, and I'm coming from a 2000 Eclipse GT with bolt ons... The engine ran great, no vibration, no odd noise, and the maintenance records show oil changes at Infiniti dealerships every 3-5k miles all the way back to 2006. Is there anything that could be robbing horsepower from an otherwise totally healthy car? Or was it my imagination? Now the second car, that the link doesn't seem to be working on now, was a bit of a bucket. It was dropped on Teins with what appeared to be the stock shocks, it didn't ride bad but it wasn't nearly as refined as the stock suspension. It also had a really poorly paint matched rear bumper so who knows what happened back there, and furthermore when idling in neutral the shift **** would vibrate profusely. However, it was fast. I thought it felt faster than the first one, and all it has is a catback exhaust, that I know of. So I'm a bit torn, I don't have any idea what could make the '06 feel slow other than my not being used to driving it and it was so fastidiously maintained that I couldn't imagine anything is seriously wrong with it that wouldn't be apparent. Some people say an ECU reset can make the car drive better but I'm skeptical. Any thoughts?
It totally can change the car. for the new guy pulling off the negative battery terminal and then turning on the lights & pumping the brakes kills the cars ECU charge very quickly...

Sounds like they are both god options, but that paint matched bumper can't be negotiated in the price

Old 09-02-2014, 03:28 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
ECU could fix the problem, but the stock G35 isn't that fast in reality all stock. Its quick, but fast is a GTR, Vette, etc.......don't expect to smoke newer V8 mustangs and Camaros that easily. I effin hate mustangs, but that's the reality of a stock G35. The flywheel alone is quite heavy and dual mass which transfers power different form a lightweight one. Stock all the way puts something like 240 to the wheels, maybe less, but the car is still quick. That first pic has no springs/coilovers or spacers which also makes it look different. Easy bolt ons though like a CAI, Plenum and exhaust can have you add 10 or so WHP give or take

Old 09-02-2014, 03:30 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
*ECU reset

Old 09-02-2014, 03:33 PM
Or just get a tune and gain 25 bhp for under a grand.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Click This Please - Buying a G35 Coupe 6MT