Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

What should I watch out for?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 10:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What should I watch out for?

Hey everyone! I am new to the forum and I am new to G35s, I will start with a little info about me. I currently have an 07 Saturn Redline(supercharged). I bought the car with 13 miles it now has 170,000 miles and it is really showing its age. It has been a great car, but I think it is time to move on. I bought the car my first year in college and now I am in my 3rd year as an engineer and I want something less "kiddish" and more adult, but I still want a car that is fast, fun to drive, handles well, and modifiable(good aftermarket following). As an engineer I really enjoy tinkering and working on cars so that is important. So after all that I have a few questions. Firstly, does it fit the above model (fast, fun to drive, handles well, and modifiable)? What are some common problems I need to be aware of? What should I avoid? What are the differences between the models and trim levels? Do y'all suggest any particular one? Also, any other useful info you may have on what to watch out for when buying a used G35 would be great!

Thanks for all the help and info in advance!!

Old 09-10-2014, 11:29 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Well, as far as model years, trim levels, etc. there are a ton of threads covering this and you'll never find one where everyone agrees on what's "best". It is subjective.

There is a huge aftermarket, and if you're going for a coupe, all exterior parts are completely interchangeable, so you have a lot of options there regardless of what year you get.

When you first drive it, you will feel like it handles insanely well; and it does. There are a lot of weaknesses in the suspension, however that should be addressed to help it perform on a truly outstanding level. Those being: bushings, camber kits and a lot of the ***** joints.

The car is VERY fun to drive because its decently powered and has great potential in the handling dept. but it IS heavy so it will be nothing like a compact car like your Saturn or a Honda or anything. One thing that surprised me when I bought mine was how BIG it is. It looks sort of small when you see it on the streets, but stand next to one and its surprisingly big.

Downside is that even with the great aftermarket, it doesn't respond well to breather mods and you wont be picking up a ton of HP just by buying all the bolt ons. You'll have to go FI for that.

Car stereo stuff is also an issue, cuz the JDM dash kits are hard to come by and the only aftermarket dash kit is metra and it looks like garbage.

I love mine tho and I think I speak for a lot of us here when I say its gonna stay with me as long as its running. I love it.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:50 AM
Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
I would suggest looking at the stickies under the sections. Are you looking at Coupes or Sedans?

Old 09-11-2014, 12:34 PM
Coupes. Yeah I have been doing a lot of reading! Lots of good info here!

Old 09-11-2014, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by Gdirtyfive55
Well, as far as model years, trim levels, etc. there are a ton of threads covering this and you'll never find one where everyone agrees on what's "best". It is subjective.

There is a huge aftermarket, and if you're going for a coupe, all exterior parts are completely interchangeable, so you have a lot of options there regardless of what year you get.

When you first drive it, you will feel like it handles insanely well; and it does. There are a lot of weaknesses in the suspension, however that should be addressed to help it perform on a truly outstanding level. Those being: bushings, camber kits and a lot of the ***** joints.

The car is VERY fun to drive because its decently powered and has great potential in the handling dept. but it IS heavy so it will be nothing like a compact car like your Saturn or a Honda or anything. One thing that surprised me when I bought mine was how BIG it is. It looks sort of small when you see it on the streets, but stand next to one and its surprisingly big.

Downside is that even with the great aftermarket, it doesn't respond well to breather mods and you wont be picking up a ton of HP just by buying all the bolt ons. You'll have to go FI for that.

Car stereo stuff is also an issue, cuz the JDM dash kits are hard to come by and the only aftermarket dash kit is metra and it looks like garbage.

I love mine tho and I think I speak for a lot of us here when I say its gonna stay with me as long as its running. I love it.
Thanks for the great info!!

Old 09-11-2014, 03:08 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What kind of engineer? I'm electrical and I just bought my g35 coupe recently. I love it but make sure you do your research about common issues and you'll be fine.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by gmmills
What kind of engineer? I'm electrical and I just bought my g35 coupe recently. I love it but make sure you do your research about common issues and you'll be fine.
I have my B.S. In Mechanical Engineering and my Masters in Industrial and Systems engineering. Yeah, that is what I am doing currently!