Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

2005 Coupe 6MT $18k

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 09:18 AM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by JOKER
Mine is 05 AT non revup.
Consumes oil as if it's sponsored by Saudi Arabia.
2005 Coupe 6MT k-hbyzlsf.gif

Old 03-15-2016, 10:44 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I wouldn't spend $18K on a 2005 G35. I don't think we've quite reached the collectible status just yet.

If I had $18K to blow on a car like that, it would be a garage queen. Never see rain, rarely driven, add a supercharger/turbo, some rims, tint, keep it clean, etc etc.

I certainly wouldn't spend that sort of money and then begin daily driving it. Your $18K car will quickly turn into an $8K car as the wear and tear it has avoided and oyu have paid for slowly get erased.

If oyu are looking for a daily driver, there are other options.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:06 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Still, that's very low mileage for an '05 G35 coupe while not new, hardly broken in! I'd approach the owner with $15k (green) cash in hand and see what kind of reaction you get. Cash talks and it's unlikely he'll ever get his asking price. If he say NO, you tried!
Gary

Old 03-15-2016, 04:28 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
I wouldn't spend $18K on a 2005 G35. I don't think we've quite reached the collectible status just yet.

If I had $18K to blow on a car like that, it would be a garage queen. Never see rain, rarely driven, add a supercharger/turbo, some rims, tint, keep it clean, etc etc.

I certainly wouldn't spend that sort of money and then begin daily driving it. Your $18K car will quickly turn into an $8K car as the wear and tear it has avoided and oyu have paid for slowly get erased.

If oyu are looking for a daily driver, there are other options.
what would you put against it in a 18k range?

Old 03-16-2016, 03:33 PM
Perhaps I misworded what I meant. I wouldn't be opposed to buying that car, but I wouldn't daily drive it. It would go right in the garage and come out on warm sunny days for a quick drive and then get cleaned up and put away. Some tasteful mods here and there, drop, wheels, etc It would be a garage queen to me that I keep for MANY MANY years. Unsure if I'd spend $18K on it, but since I'm paying top dollar, I'd make sure I'd treat it as such.

If the Op is looking for a daily driver, I wouldn't buy that. Seems like a shame to spend top dollar, and then depreciate it quickly by driving it in every day conditions. Plenty of low mileage (although not that low) G35 coupes can be had for cheaper that you won't take as big of a hit on....especially if he doesn't want to keep it long term.

Of course, this all sounds hypocritical of me considering I paid nearly $30K for my G35 sedan.

Oh and since you asked, and keep in mind I'm biased....I'd buy a low mileage 2003-2004 Mustang Cobra convertible. Pulley, tune, exhaust and enjoy. Unfortunately, clean stock ones still seem to be in the $20-25K range.

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 03-16-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:05 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Perhaps I misworded what I meant. I wouldn't be opposed to buying that car, but I wouldn't daily drive it. It would go right in the garage and come out on warm sunny days for a quick drive and then get cleaned up and put away. Some tasteful mods here and there, drop, wheels, etc It would be a garage queen to me that I keep for MANY MANY years. Unsure if I'd spend $18K on it, but since I'm paying top dollar, I'd make sure I'd treat it as such.

If the Op is looking for a daily driver, I wouldn't buy that. Seems like a shame to spend top dollar, and then depreciate it quickly by driving it in every day conditions. Plenty of low mileage (although not that low) G35 coupes can be had for cheaper that you won't take as big of a hit on....especially if he doesn't want to keep it long term.

Of course, this all sounds hypocritical of me considering I paid nearly $30K for my G35 sedan.

Oh and since you asked, and keep in mind I'm biased....I'd buy a low mileage 2003-2004 Mustang Cobra convertible. Pulley, tune, exhaust and enjoy. Unfortunately, clean stock ones still seem to be in the $20-25K range.
No matter how fast your mustang is, you still cant run away from ugly.

The following users liked this post:
_Ghost_G35 (08-01-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 10:04 PM
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
At that price range, you could easily go with a 05-and up BMW M3 or 335 with low mileage (under 60k miles).

$18k for a 11yr old car is a bit much IMO. If you had that money laying around, go ahead. But I wouldn't spend that much dough on a car unless I intend to make it a garage queen/collector car. The depreciation alone will be a bitch once you start adding miles and wear to the vehicle.

Originally Posted by partyman66
Don't complicate and confuse the issue or OP with unnecessarily specific idiosyncrasies. Any car of any year from any make or manufacturer will have some instances of oil consumption here and there if you look in a large enough pool of test subjects if you want to be exact. The fact is is that it's way more common on the 05'-06 Rev-up motors than any other year G35/VQ motor, and was actually acknowledged by Nissan and covered under a warranty repair.
He didn't complicate/confuse the OP with "specific idiosyncrasies". He just stated that all G35's in that generation are affected by the OC issue, not just the 05/06 6MT's. He actually generalized it...

And no, not every car will have OC issues. Plenty of Toyota's I've owned in my decades of driving never burned a drop of oil. Maintenance is key.

Some very small number of a certain model car may have it, but it doesn't mean they all have OC issues as a blanket statement.

Last edited by Justice06RR; 03-16-2016 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:02 AM
No matter how fast your mustang is, you still cant run away from ugly.
I keep trying but the wife always tracks me down.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:54 AM
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...ous-about.html

In addition to known oil consumption issues associated with the revup models there is also this ^

My DE burned oil at 130k, it was the rings. I verified this by doing a dry and wet compression test. Wet numbers were significantly higher. Once the rings went they caused excessive blow-by, which pushed oil out of the PCV valve too. This made matters worse, fast. I'm not sure if the fact that the VQ pushes oil into the plenum from day 1 causes the rings to wear out faster than they should or not but that theory does make sense because oil on the top side of the pistons contacts the sealing rings directly when the bottom side has the oil containment rings to protect the sealing rings.

I'm pretty sure implementing a vented catch can before the rings go would postpone the OC issue, if not eliminate it entirely so that something else is the weakest link. I'm currently trying this out on my DE with 30k miles on it. No burning oil yet, and there is no oil coming out of the vented PCV valve, even at 10 PSI.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:42 PM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
My 06 revup didn't start burning oil until well after 160k miles, and then it wasn't even that bad until I did an engine flush around 180k. I used to chime in and counter "not all revups!" It's still true that I know more people with 03/04 models burning oil like mad than I do revup owners with the issue. Forums tend to magnify "common" issues since by their very nature, people turn to forums when they have a problem.

As far as the OP, I think $18k is too high, regardless of the low miles. Closer to $16k is probably max. These things aren't exactly collectors items yet, like a z32 Twin Turbo with 15k miles, or an IROC-Z Camaro still in factory wrapping.

Plus, it's an 05. 06 got the upgraded lights, beefier front swaybar, cleaner sport bumper, etc.

Old 03-17-2016, 05:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NemesisGee
This ^^

Whatever OP decides a $125 inspection at an Infiniti dealer is definitely on order. I was in a similar position with my 03 Coupe last year. One owner who was also an acquaintance, no winters, full service records and less than 35,000 miles. Despite all that I still paid the dealer for an inspection.

The dealer didn't find much other than come curb rash on both rims, some rock chips on the front bumper and a scuff on the rear bumper drivers corners but they did find a sweaty steering rack and and wrote in the report it would eventually start leaking and need replacement. They gave an estimate and we took it to an independent who said since it's only driven sparingly it's good for quite a bit more before it gets serious. He gave us his estimate, I bartered with the owner and we came to a fair discount for the future repair. Point is there may be some stuff that isn't obvious, the owner may not even know. Get it inspected and barter for anything that needs fixing. An original mint 6mt is a rare beast, most have been abused and modded to hell and back. It's a great car, can't wait to take out mine soon. Partyman, I'll be posting for some help soon lol...
An inspection will not determine oc issue(s), unless you look at the c. converters. I got caught out, but rebuilt the engine entirely. Still sucks oil. But love the car.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I paid 17,500 CAD (last may). Our dollar is now worth belly button lint so that's like 14k USD lol.

For my 2005 g35 6mt with 26000 KM on it (16,500 miles for you guys)

It was so mint there was tags on seats still, plastic covering metal trim,

Underbody looked like it had never seen rain! Etc.

Came with stock exhaust off car and MagnaFlow catback installed.

Dealer inspection was perfect.

As far as oil consumption goes it burns extremely minimal amount ... like by 5000-6000 km interval it be down 1/4 quart? (I think this isnt bad is it??)

Anyways, I can't think of a better car than the one I bought. Bmws don't interest me as where I'm from its a far too common car.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:16 PM
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by majorissuez99
I paid 17,500 CAD (last may). Our dollar is now worth belly button lint so that's like 14k USD lol.

For my 2005 g35 6mt with 26000 KM on it (16,500 miles for you guys)

It was so mint there was tags on seats still, plastic covering metal trim,

Underbody looked like it had never seen rain! Etc.

Came with stock exhaust off car and MagnaFlow catback installed.

Dealer inspection was perfect.

As far as oil consumption goes it burns extremely minimal amount ... like by 5000-6000 km interval it be down 1/4 quart? (I think this isnt bad is it??)

Anyways, I can't think of a better car than the one I bought. Bmws don't interest me as where I'm from its a far too common car.
That's not bad at all for that deal.

I just feel that the 06/07 Gcoupe is a bit better since it already has the upgraded front n rear lights. Not a big deal to some, as it can be added.

BMW 335 is a great car and competition to the G. Many people choose one of the other, just depends on preference and money. The 335 turbo is also a bit more powerful. IMO they are nice cars.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:02 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by HereKittyKitty
An inspection will not determine oc issue(s), unless you look at the c. converters. I got caught out, but rebuilt the engine entirely. Still sucks oil. But love the car.
For sure not, but if the inspection was done at an Infiniti dealer you would know if it was ever in for OC issues because it would be in the service records. Hence why I say inspections for these cars should be done by a dealer only. Even with full documented service records I still asked to verify I didn't have any invoices missing in the stack the previous owner gave me when I bought my car. An unscrupulous seller can just remove the physical invoices of OC warranty work or issues and hide it from the buyer.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:55 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The price seems high to you people because your g35 is either salvaged title, rebuilt title, has175k miles or an automatic transmission non revup. Or a combination of them all. Bottom line it's a revup 6mt coupe with very low miles. The price is set just right. Just not right for ricers lol

I try telling people who want to buy/sell g35s that there is a huge price difference in 03' 04' non revup vs 05' 06' 07' 6mt! It might look like the same exact car but the engine and transmission are a big step up from the early models

Last edited by sick_sixspeed; 04-08-2016 at 12:59 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2005 Coupe 6MT $18k