Canada Serving Canada.

Pricing for Rotors and Brake pad...

Old 12-05-2006, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pricing for Rotors and Brake pad...

Last night my Parking Brake, VDC OFF and SLIP light all came on during the drive home. After searching through the forums, I expected that I needed to get my brake pads replaced, but to be safe, I dropped off my car at the dealership for them to check it out.

Below is a quote that the dealership gave me to replace my brake pad and rotors.

Front Pads: 329.95
Front Rotors: 1732.40
Rear Pads: 230.95
Rear Rotors: 1732.40
Total: 4025.70 (before tax)

I went back to the the dealership refused the service, paid for the 30 mins of service they charged and asked if they could get rid of the indicators so I my VDC would work in the event it snows. Service consultant refused and said that they cant do that and to my surprise got in my car and all the indicators were gone. SCORE!!!!

Went home and ordered a set of Hawk HPS brake pads from Chad only cost me 215.92 USD incl 2 day shipping (OEM Brembos were 188.95). They will be installed on Thursday.

Anyways I have 36K on my car, do I need to change the rotors as well? and secondly why is there such a big price difference on brake pads from the US to Canada? 188.95USD compared to 559 CDN, you figure they would be somewhat on par.....

Old 12-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Broo, I got quote from a nissan dealership to change rotors. It came down to $139 per peace and it would cost around $700 or something after labour....

Not so sure about the pads, u might be better off going to an nissan dealership

Originally Posted by alphabit
Last night my Parking Brake, VDC OFF and SLIP light all came on during the drive home. After searching through the forums, I expected that I needed to get my brake pads replaced, but to be safe, I dropped off my car at the dealership for them to check it out.

Below is a quote that the dealership gave me to replace my brake pad and rotors.

I went back to the the dealership refused the service, paid for the 30 mins of service they charged and asked if they could get rid of the indicators so I my VDC would work in the event it snows. Service consultant refused and said that they cant do that and to my surprise got in my car and all the indicators were gone. SCORE!!!!

Went home and ordered a set of Hawk HPS brake pads from Chad only cost me 215.92 USD incl 2 day shipping (OEM Brembos were 188.95). They will be installed on Thursday.

Anyways I have 36K on my car, do I need to change the rotors as well? and secondly why is there such a big price difference on brake pads from the US to Canada? 188.95USD compared to 559 CDN, you figure they would be somewhat on par.....

Old 12-05-2006, 03:22 PM
If the rotors have been scored, you may need to replace the rotors because they are made so thin these days that they are difficult to machine. As for that price it seems just a little bit outragous.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:34 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^Wow, that's even more than I expected. Is that 36k kms or 36k miles on your car?

BTW, similiar savings can be had for your Brembo rotors by ordering. You may want to ask for the measurment details on your rotors from the dealership. That might tell you about scoring, runout and the depth needed to resurface them, and whether they even checked them. It's also possible they did check and the tolerances suggest they need replacing.

G/L

Old 12-05-2006, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by RBull
^Wow, that's even more than I expected. Is that 36k kms or 36k miles on your car?

BTW, similiar savings can be had for your Brembo rotors by ordering. You may want to ask for the measurment details on your rotors from the dealership. That might tell you about scoring, runout and the depth needed to resurface them, and whether they even checked them. It's also possible they did check and the tolerances suggest they need replacing.

G/L
I have 36,000 km on my car.

The thing that pisses me off is that I had maintenance 2 done on my car at 30,000 KM and there we no mention of me having to change my brakes in the near future. If I known I could have bought all my stuff last weekend when I was in the US and could have saved on shipping. A friend of mine is going to change the brake pads for me first, and I will let him decide if I need new rotors or not.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by ChristianN
If the rotors have been scored, you may need to replace the rotors because they are made so thin these days that they are difficult to machine. As for that price it seems just a little bit outragous.
I knew dealerships were expensive, but I didn't think they were that expensive. What do you mean if the rotors have been scored?

Old 12-05-2006, 04:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^
The rotors should be smooth with no grooves apparent. This will allow for even pad wear.

Usually a rotor can be turned a couple of times before it must be replaced. Get them checked out.
The mechanic will use a micrometer to measure how much metal is left on the rotor and a run out indicator to indicate the "trueness" of the rotor. Also, there is a warning stamped on the rotor itself as to much can be removed before the rotor is too thin.

$4K is alot of money to fork out!!!

Do you have Brembo's?

Old 12-05-2006, 04:50 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^yes he does.

Old 12-05-2006, 06:38 PM

If your rotors are too thin then yes.
I have had my stock rotors turned once (warped from track use) I only had
7K on them so the wear couldn't have been that much.

Wow that is alot of money for stock parts. I bought a stoptech stage 2 kit (2pc rotors, ss lines, brake fluid, pads) after all the shipping, duty, taxes and BS money grabs it cost me just under $3K CDN. The 1pc rotor kit would probably be no more than $1500 at your door. Then you have to factor in installation costs. I do all my work, so that is where I end up saving.
Check out performance nissan. http://www.mynismo.com/

Old 12-05-2006, 07:48 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Almost $4600.00 (tax included) for a Brembo brake job?????

Have you confirmed that price at another dealership ?????

If that's a legit price on a rotor for brembos, I'd say there should be lots of meat on it -- enought to turn it down a time or 2 -- instead of replacing.

In any case, aftermarket has to be a lot cheaper than OEM/dealer job.

C.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:03 AM
I've found that there is a huge price difference b/w the dealerships here and in the US.

I think US just has more demand so they have more of a whoesale price, as well al the price-up for Canada and so on.

Anyway i got pads, mud guards and rubber mats from Chad, way cheaper then the dealership, i think they difference in total to be at least $400 cdn....

Old 12-06-2006, 12:33 PM
order the pads/rotors from the US, it's cheaper.

Old 12-06-2006, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by Msedanman
Almost $4600.00 (tax included) for a Brembo brake job?????

Have you confirmed that price at another dealership ?????

If that's a legit price on a rotor for brembos, I'd say there should be lots of meat on it -- enought to turn it down a time or 2 -- instead of replacing.

In any case, aftermarket has to be a lot cheaper than OEM/dealer job.

C.

Umm..Knowing i'm not that smart in car stuff...Whats the difference between Regular Rotors, pads, between brembos? Do brembos fit all all sedans or is it only for some models such as sports etc.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:04 PM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
^^^ Brembos were an option on 03-04 coupes I couldnt tell you if they would fit a sedan or not but I dont think they were a option on sedans. They dicontinued them as an option due to the high cost of replacment, most people are buy the G because its a luxury car and do not take thier car to the track so the added cost of Brembos was an inconvinence. I replaced my rear brembo pads recently and the price you listed for those were similar to the price I paid $250 for rear pads with shims. If you can change your own oil you can change Brembo pads you do not even need to unbolt the calipers to change them. Hawk pads would probly be alot cheaper that brembo pads as they would be a down grade. You probly could get upgraded aftermarket pads slightly cheaper than Brembos from your dealer. I would look into Endless or Stop Tech or other highend brake companies before I would go with cheaper lesser quality pads or rotors like Hawk. If you dont drive your car hard on the street or take it to the track you may want to consider a lesser replacement and save some $$$$

Last edited by Sylvan lake V35; 12-06-2006 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:43 PM
I paid about $1100 for a Brembo brake job on my 03 out here on the westcoast (Vancouver) from Regency Infiniti. They were able to machine the rotors which saved me some$$$. I was at 39K KMS at the time.

Next time I will go with the Stoptech aerorotor 2 piece direct replacement for Brembo rotors and the hawk pads a much better setup for a lot less!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pricing for Rotors and Brake pad...