Canada Serving Canada.

Johnny Miles Marathon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 07:48 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Johnny Miles Marathon

Just thought I'd post up that a good friend of mine, Ray Moorehead won the full event in New Glasgow here in NS yesterday. It was a perfect day, first class event. I even managed to run in the 5km race!

The event celebrates Johnny Miles who was the youngest Canadian (from Nova Scotia) ever to win the Boston Marathon in 1926 at age 19. His next win came in 1929.

http://www.ngnews.ca/index.cfm?sid=144346&sc=625

When it matters most print this article
ADAM RICHARDSON
The News

NEW GLASGOW – Dave MacLennan was in a familiar position for much of yesterday's Johnny Miles Marathon - in front of everyone.
But the Scotsburn native knew he was in trouble. He couldn't see it, but word spread that Roy Moorehead was making a charge.
"My plan was to take it easy and I was going at my own pace," MacLennan said. "Then, I started getting splits and (Moorehead) just kept gaining 10 seconds each time. Then, all of a sudden he gained 30 seconds and then at one spot at the end, they told me 'he's really coming on you.' I figured it was pretty well done, and by the end I was trying to hang on to him from pulling away."
He couldn't. Moorehead crossed the finish line with an impressive time of 2:41.21, just 10 seconds ahead of MacLennan.
After breaking the tape, the Dartmouth native pumped his hands in victory, and turned to see one of his local running heroes cross behind.
"Excellent conditions, we couldn't have asked for any better," said Moorehead. "I was worried that the four-loop course would be monotonous, but the fan support more than made up for it. Running with Dave was motivational, and it was a learning experience.
"I really admire him deeply and I've always admired him and considered him a mentor. It's very humbling to think I could consider myself in the same class of runners as him."
Moorehead has won other marathons in the Maritimes, but said this felt like his biggest win. The come-from-behind nature also made it a thrill, as he wasn't sure he would overtake MacLennan down the stretch.
A cool, overcast morning wouldn't please beach-goers, but marathon runners were in their element. As a result, eight runners finished within 2:51.48 of the starting gun.
To put this in perspective, throw in a long movie like The Godfather. All of these guys could run 42.2-kilomtres before you ever reached the end credits.
For most of the 1,400 runners that competed yesterday, the time on your race chip was far more important than the order of finish. As marathoners trickled in, the first reaction was to peer at their stopwatch.
There's more on the line than a trophy - a qualification time for the Boston Marathon is the real jewel.
Some did both and still weren't completely pleased. Despite winning the women's event and earning a qualification time of 3:33.39, Sydney native Karen MacDonald didn't think yesterday was her best effort.
"I'm glad that I won, but I'm sure there are other more deserving winners," MacDonald said. "I've never won before. I'm a little disappointed with my time. I started slow, I had a good second and third lap but I hit the wall around mile 22."
Other winners yesterday included Beechville's Ian Holdway, who claimed the half-marathon in 1:20.43. The top female finisher was Lavinia Carreau of Truro at 1:27.23.
Ten-kilometre honours went to Halifax's Curtis Archibald at 33:46, with the women's race going to Robyn Erickson of Bedford in 37:38. In the five-kilometre, Woodstock, Ontario's Corey Newell won with a time of 18:04.
Vickie Letourneau of Antigonish was the top female finisher at 22:24.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:34 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
That's great Deane... congratz to Ray

Old 06-16-2008, 09:16 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I believe Ray was the one I met in your driveway back in '06 when I stayed with you. Didn't he just return from Mississauga marathon then?

Congrats to Ray.....he must be ecstatic for his bug win and also congrats to you Deane for doing the 5k...... Your 'pin' hasn't been good for years so it's good to see that you can run again at a reduced pace/length at least.
I'm pullin' for you to make it back to Marathon length soon.

You'll be sore for a little while but I bet you're happy to having run the 5.....

Old 06-16-2008, 09:49 AM
Rated M

^Thanks guys. Ray is very happy since Dave has long been the king of the hill here for years.

Yes Colin, you met Ray. You're also right about being sore today! I ran the 5 and then a couple of hours later ran about 1k with Ray near the end at his quick pace. Both hamstrings are really talking to me today. I don't know about a marathon but I'm working to get back to running a little bit. I really surprised myself with the way it went yesterday after not running for so long. I wasn't in as bad a shape as I thought! I've only been doing about 25- 30 minutes 2x per week for the past 6-7 weeks.

Cheers and thanks for the call.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:41 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't know how some of these guys do it! 26.2 miles in 2:41.21 ... amazing

Old 06-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Rated M

^ I agree. He is also 45 years old.

This was his second best result behind a 2 : 39 : 53 in Chicago.

Last edited by Christian; 06-16-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:16 PM
^^ I'm back into running again, my ankle injury was much worse then I thought, I kept twisting it over & over after the initial injury and it just recently finally started feeling better. Ran this morning (even though it was a short 1 mile run, getting back into it). I will be working my way back up to 5-10m runs, it's much harder to run distances in the morning then the evening IMO, but I think I should be back on track pretty soon (keep in mind I am 6'2 & weigh 230lbs, 5 miles is pretty good for a guy my size)

Old 06-16-2008, 03:28 PM
Rated M

^good to hear you're back. I was thinking about your thread a few weeks ago.

yeah, the bigger you are the harder on you it is for sure. Be careful on the come back and rest when you need it. Better a few days off than push it and be off much longer....as you can relate to!

Old 06-16-2008, 03:29 PM
^^ Yeah absolutely! I bought an ankle brace as well which I will be using on long distance runs.