Ambitious, ultra-clean carputer/nav replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Ambitious, ultra-clean carputer/nav replacement

I think I have figured out a barebones idea for incorporating a seamless carputer into my 2005 G35 sedan. I need some advice from people who have disassembled the G35 nav system before who could perhaps give me dimensions and some other basic info on the stock system. FYI, I have the Bose stereo.

1) The carputer will replace the DVD drive above the glove compartment. I will use the Via Artigo 5.25" form factor case/kit with a Via 1GHz C7 processor and probably 1 gig RAM (http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/em...1000/index.jsp). Open questions are operating system (probably will strip down Windows XP Pro to remove everything non-essential but add in remote desktop functionality so that I can configure the carputer from a laptop or desktop connected via WLAN). Storage is an open question also - probably will use a 320gig-ish laptop HDD but am considering a small, fast SSD for O.S. and apps, and 2.5" laptop drive for storage of MP3s, etc. if it will fit in the enclosure. DVDs could be played via an external DVD drive plugged into one of the available USB ports but could be disconnected/stowed to prevent ghettofication of the interior.

2) I measured the existing screen as being 7" diagonal. 7" touch screens are readily available online for cheap. I am looking to remove the essential guts from one such unit and hack it into the existing frame. I need help from someone who has disassembled this system before who can give me the exact dimensions of the LCD screen itself and the weight and (fingers crossed) perhaps some pictures of everything I'll find in there. I want to preserve the existing slide-out functionality and basically just replace the existing screen. I am confident that there will be a way to engineer this, but I'm kind of just at the point of looking into the feasibility of this and do not want to get into a huge disassembly mess only to find out that there is some insurmountable reason why I can't pull this off.

3) Audio will be wired in via QCHBB NI2.

4) It should be possible to wire the existing nav panel buttons into a usb connector and write a software interface for that which converts the output to OS commands and the 8-way joystick/OK button should also be able to be mapped to keyboard keys or a pointing device. I will have to consult with someone who is more proficient in these things, but as a theoretical matter, it should be doable provided that someone has a wiring diagram.

I want to get as much of this planned out before I purchase any parts or do any disassembly. If I can figure out a way to hack this, of course I will put together a comprehensive DIY as I imagine many other G35 owners would like to make this work as well.

Can anyone provide the weight/dimensions of the display? Has anyone disassembled things and seen something that might inhibit my ability to pull this off?

Old 12-06-2009, 12:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually have been working on that last week. I took some pictures, not enough since I was trying to get it all done in one day before the sun went down. Ill try to post them as soon as I get a chance. When it comes to the stock navi replacement it is quite simple.

The housing is composed of two plastics that are screwed in together, inside there is another 'box' with a screen and 2 cables connected to it. You can unplug all two of them and remove the screen.

There is a third wire, that controls the navigation popup button, but that is separate.
I was able to fit in xenarc 700tsv in there. I had to dremel out some plastic in the bottom of the housing in order to fit the 'gain' unit. Screen and touch screen fits with no issues, actually they are a little to small for the housing, and you see some of the metal that holds the screen together.

Took me 5hours to disassemble it all and put it all back together.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:17 AM
Subscribed.

Keep us posted!

Good luck!

Old 02-10-2010, 01:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I like what your doing

Iam very interested in this... ahve you ever thought about mac.
Ambitious, ultra-clean carputer/nav replacement-mac-dash.jpg

Ambitious, ultra-clean carputer/nav replacement-mac-glovebox.jpg

Ambitious, ultra-clean carputer/nav replacement-small.jpg

Old 02-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
mac mini is pretty standard for carputer.

www.mp3car.com is your best resource

Old 02-22-2010, 05:24 PM
I'd love to see how this comes out! I'm interested in carpcs more than anything. I've fabbed so many screens into dashes, it would be nice to put one in that does something more than play video. I plan on having a computer setup in my next vehicle using Centrafuse and a Mac Mini...

Old 02-25-2010, 05:14 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
I'm actually looking at the adaptability of the upcoming Notion Ink Adam. It's got a 10" transflective multitouch screen that visible even with full-blast sunlight on it, and will run Droid and Ubuntu. Throw a external drive with all my music on it, and it's one hell of an all-in-one carPC.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^
Nice toy but I doubt it would fit in the navi cubby. If it would you would prolly have to have it showing all the time, since you would need to run multiple cables from the pc/monitor to the other devices and since there isn't much space in the console the open/close mechanism will prolly jam.

Im done with my setup (until it gets warmer) and I will post picutres soon.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:12 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
I wouldn't be putting in the nav cubby.

I would put it in the stock radio/climate control location, possibly relocating the climate controls. I intend to keep the pop-up navi so I don't have to get a data plan in order to effectively use navigation.

But the temptation to have access to all the droid apps on a big screen like that is great. The only wires I'd have to attach are the power and external USB drive. From the video it seems there are both connectors on the same side, so moulding a dock shouldn't be too hard, and would be a great excuse to use www.shapeways.com to rapid-prototype a dock after taking measurements with some modeling clay and cardboard.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:14 AM
Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
Ever get this working, or make any progress?