04 screen swap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 screen swap

I'm looking at doing a carputer install, and was wondering if there was a way to switch between the carputer and the stock navi/vehicle info feed for the touch screen. I ask this since I would like to be able to view the vehicle info screen and navi when I choose.

I've seen info on the converter for the stock screen, but not really any info on the touch screen to stock conversion. Any help would be appreciated!

Old 06-23-2013, 06:02 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm doing something similar. I'm using a beaglebone black running android JB and I'm going to output it to the factory screen (which Ive replaced with the OEM nissan 7" touchscreen), Ill be able to switch back and fourth from android/stock with a touch of the corner of the screen.

to answer your question though, there are some interfaces out that would allow you to do what you're looking for, here's one:

http://tvandnav2go.com/home/74-nissa...interface.html

The following users liked this post:
_Ghost_G35 (08-01-2016)
Old 06-23-2013, 06:31 PM
I am looking at replacing my factory screen as well, can you please share more info on your nissan touch screen?

What are your thoughts on using small tablet in the motorized housing instead?

[QUOTE=marteb73;6771879]I'm doing something similar. I'm using a beaglebone black running android JB and I'm going to output it to the factory screen (which Ive replaced with the OEM nissan 7" touchscreen), Ill be able to switch back and fourth from android/stock with a touch of the corner of the screen.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by samag35
I am looking at replacing my factory screen as well, can you please share more info on your nissan touch screen?

What are your thoughts on using small tablet in the motorized housing instead?
The screen I'm using is not the same as the motorized pop-up in the G35s, i believe that one is different (but i could be wrong, someone I hope can confirm). this screen was from newer G's/M's/Pathfinder/Murano etc.. the whole assembly is a bit thicker

either way works, a tablet is a great alternative due to the high res screen and great touch response (better than most fact screens), provided you're comfortable adjusting/molding the dashboard and making it work.

A buddy of mine is developing a piece that allows you to control any tablet's volume and track buttons through the factory steering wheel controls...with the anticipation that people will be mounting tablets in their dashboards more often in the coming years.

You planning to use straight AUX input for audio?

Last edited by marteb73; 06-23-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:32 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by marteb73
The screen I'm using is not the same as the motorized pop-up in the G35s, i believe that one is different (but i could be wrong, someone I hope can confirm). this screen was from newer G's/M's/Pathfinder/Murano etc.. the whole assembly is a bit thicker

either way works, a tablet is a great alternative due to the high res screen and great touch response (better than most fact screens), provided you're comfortable adjusting/molding the dashboard and making it work.

A buddy of mine is developing a piece that allows you to control any tablet's volume and track buttons through the factory steering wheel controls...with the anticipation that people will be mounting tablets in their dashboards more often in the coming years.

I assume your friend is hacking it through the headphone jack controls? I'd much rather see a steering-wheel control interface that converts to the bluetooth AVCTP stack, so that it's wireless.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
I assume your friend is hacking it through the headphone jack controls? I'd much rather see a steering-wheel control interface that converts to the bluetooth AVCTP stack, so that it's wireless.
actually, its going to plug into a PAC steering wheel control piece, and it will be bluetooth

Old 06-23-2013, 09:23 PM
Yes was planing on using the aux input from my PAC interface either directly or through airplay by installing an airport express somewhere under the dash

What year is your G? Are u able to pop the screen up and down without obstruction ?

That's a clever idea, your buddies piece, if worked correctly would make using a tablet even more of an elegant solution

Originally Posted by marteb73

Old 06-24-2013, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by samag35
Yes was planing on using the aux input from my PAC interface either directly or through airplay by installing an airport express somewhere under the dash

What year is your G? Are u able to pop the screen up and down without obstruction ?

That's a clever idea, your buddies piece, if worked correctly would make using a tablet even more of an elegant solution
I have an '03 G sedan, with no popup nav option. I have a double din Metra dash I'm planning to mount the screen into.. currently I have an aftermarket Kenwood 7" nav

Old 08-01-2016, 05:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How did this work out

Old 08-01-2016, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Car computers were all the rage 2000-2010 because aftermarket stereos offered little to nothing modern ones do.

Now that we have fancy touchscreens and such, we don't need car computers anymore, money is wasted on them.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:58 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Car computers were all the rage 2000-2010 because aftermarket stereos offered little to nothing modern ones do.

Now that we have fancy touchscreens and such, we don't need car computers anymore, money is wasted on them.
Yeah, pretty much this. A tablet basically does more than carputers ever aspired to do.

But a steering wheel control to bluetooth remote controls would still be handy for both.