Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm new here but I'm currently in the process of looking to buy a g35 or g37 within my price range of about 12k or under. However, I came across this salvage G37 on ebay motors, I was wondering if someone more informed than I could tell me how much I'd be looking at in repair costs if I wanted to purchase this car and get it repaired to driveable status. Thanks so much for any help you guys could offer me, I'm really anxious to drive my own G haha.
This is the salvage car I was looking at.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-...ht_10430wt_883

Old 03-16-2011, 10:10 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Looking to detail my 05 G35 sedan on my own soon & wanted to buy all the supplies. Since this is the first time ill be doing this I was just wondering if 8.oz is sufficient enough to do the entire G or would i need more?

Also this is what im looking into picking up. Look good? Am I missing anything?

Porter Cable 7424XP Random Orbital Buffer
Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 - 8 oz
Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 - 8 oz
3 Lake Country Hydro Tech Cyan Light Cutting and Polishing Pad - 5.5 inch
3 Lake Country Hydro Tech Tangerine Ultra Fine Polishing Pad - 5.5 inch
Lake Country 5" Backing Plate for Porter Cable 7424 - 125 mm

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by BuzzLightYear; 03-16-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:36 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ghost2098
I'm new here but I'm currently in the process of looking to buy a g35 or g37 within my price range of about 12k or under. However, I came across this salvage G37 on ebay motors, I was wondering if someone more informed than I could tell me how much I'd be looking at in repair costs if I wanted to purchase this car and get it repaired to driveable status. Thanks so much for any help you guys could offer me, I'm really anxious to drive my own G haha.
This is the salvage car I was looking at.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-...ht_10430wt_883
Sorry the link is already down and I'm not sure if we have the answer here for you. My area of expertise is more in the cleaning, shining and protecting of vehicles. Good luck!

Old 03-16-2011, 10:37 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by BuzzLightYear
Looking to detail my 05 G35 sedan on my own soon & wanted to buy all the supplies. Since this is the first time ill be doing this I was just wondering if 8.oz is sufficient enough to do the entire G or would i need more?

Also this is what im looking into picking up. Look good? Am I missing anything?

Porter Cable 7424XP Random Orbital Buffer
Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 - 8 oz
Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 - 8 oz
3 Lake Country Hydro Tech Cyan Light Cutting and Polishing Pad - 5.5 inch
3 Lake Country Hydro Tech Tangerine Ultra Fine Polishing Pad - 5.5 inch
Lake Country 5" Backing Plate for Porter Cable 7424 - 125 mm

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to detailing and thank you in advance for shopping at www.DetailedImage.com. First off I like your list a lot, should help restore the paint to like new condition. I typically only use about 2 - 3 ounces per coat so yes the 8oz bottles will work great.

Also don't forget to protect the paint afterward with a quality sealant or wax. If you would like a recommendation please don't hesitate to ask.

Greg @ DI

Old 03-17-2011, 12:23 AM
Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
I got this waxing kit last summer...wash..clay bar..this polish then wax.

My question is the polish like material. It almost smells like nail polish. Is this the material they will get out some of my swirl marks or mask them as well as minor scratches? I am pretty sure i already have the polish..would that be the step right before the wax?

Thanks

Old 03-18-2011, 09:23 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Is wheel acid bad for allow rims if used for every wash?

Old 03-20-2011, 01:12 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by Anton_Chigurh
I got this waxing kit last summer...wash..clay bar..this polish then wax.

My question is the polish like material. It almost smells like nail polish. Is this the material they will get out some of my swirl marks or mask them as well as minor scratches? I am pretty sure i already have the polish..would that be the step right before the wax?

Thanks
I've never heard of any polish smelling that strong or like nail polish. I'd suggest doing some research to make sure it's a safe formula and one that still works well. Polishing is done after wash and clay and before wax. Polishing is the step where you can remove swirls, oxidation, etc. Let us know if we can help you any further.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:26 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by rockstar1292
Is wheel acid bad for allow rims if used for every wash?
Not 100% sure I understand your question, but I think I do. You want to know if a strong wheel cleaner that is not pH neutral like the Poorboy's World Spray & Rinse or the Meguiar's Wheel Brightener D140 is safe for regular use. These cleaners are fine to use on most factory wheels, but certainly some finishes are not safe to use these products with. As for regular usage on wheels that are safe to work with I don't see any issues regular usage, however you want to avoid getting it on the tires when possible.

Greg @ DI

Old 03-20-2011, 01:55 PM
Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
I've never heard of any polish smelling that strong or like nail polish. I'd suggest doing some research to make sure it's a safe formula and one that still works well. Polishing is done after wash and clay and before wax. Polishing is the step where you can remove swirls, oxidation, etc. Let us know if we can help you any further.
It's actually the Gliptone Pre-Wax glaze..thats the one that smells like paint thinner...i have the entire Gliptone kit. Wash, Clay bar,pre-wax glaze, wax and body gloss for a quick shine.

http://www.gliptone.com/retail/

If i bought a polish at what step would i use this..before or after pre-wax glaze..i am guessing before right after the clay bar

Old 03-23-2011, 02:19 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Interesting I've never heard of the brand before. Again any polish smelling that strong makes me suspect that it may not be entirely safe for your vehicle. Also make sure you are work in a very well ventilated area. I believe I would you would use the clay bar, polish and then pre-wax glaze. Good luck and keep us posted on the results. Take care!

Greg

Old 03-26-2011, 11:12 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Ok, I got a question.

On my new 08 sedan, there appears to be a lot of bug splats that are baked into the front bumper, hood, and roof. Pretty sure my dealer also did their shoddy buff job over them all (paint looks like absolute ****, but thats for another post) as well further adding to it.

I tried scrubbing with a little rag and to no avail. I am not even sure if a clay bar can get these off.

What do you guys recommend for stubborn bugs?

Old 03-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Your best bet is to get to them sooner than later. Some bugs can be acidic so they will etch in to the paints finish as well. I suggest washing as soon as possible with a good degreaser like the:
Einszett 1Z Anti-Insekt Bug + Tar Remover
Chemical Guys Bug Bugger & Tar Remover
Poorboy's World Bug Squash

These products all do a good job of loosening up stubborn build ups, not just bugs. If it's really stubborn I'll use the Stoner Tarminator.

After that if the bugs have etched in to the bumper very lightly you may need to polish the bumper. If interested start off with a light polish like the Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205. If you have any questions please let me know.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My hood has several chips.. I blew them off one day with a high pressure car wash hose. What do I do? I tried one of those paint pens.. didnt work cause it fell off later.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi! It's great to have a friendly detailer here to help us keep our rides looking as good as they run!

I am getting some body work done on my car - repairing a few deeper scratches and having some dents repaired. As part of the repair they will be repainting sections of my car.

I have a car show I'm entering that is 5 weeks away and I want the car to look as good as possible. A friend is willing to help me polish the car the week after I pick it up from the body shop, but I know I can't put any sealer on the vehicle for at least 30 days to let the paint cure.

My two questions are - #1 - will I further damage my car by polishing it a week after getting it back from the body shop? I live in Arizona and things seem to dry/cure pretty quickly out here, but I don't want to push my luck.
#2 - Will I have to polish my car again before putting a sealer (don't know if I'm going to go with a synthetic or a natural yet) on the car?

I'm not trying to place 1st in the car show (although it WOULD be pretty cool!) as my car is much more 'clean' than a lot of the really custom G's out here, but I would like to have it hold it's own among the crowd. I really, though, just want her to look as good as possible.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:04 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by paymon
My hood has several chips.. I blew them off one day with a high pressure car wash hose. What do I do? I tried one of those paint pens.. didnt work cause it fell off later.
I generally only recommend touch up work for a few tiny spots. Something like the Dr. Colorchip kit should help. If you have quite a few I recommend a repaint or to just deal with it.

Greg @ DI

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer...