Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gdirtyfive55
You could buy some cheap eBay lights and just swap the lens onto your good lights. I think your old ones are ruined tho.
The one reason i dont think aftermarket lights work is because the headlight housing, screws on to the lens and the lens to the rest of the headlight. I could be wrong, but i don't think the aftermarket lens would let me screw on the oem housing to it.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:58 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by bawselole
I have a 2007 g35x sedan. I was working on painting my headlight housing, and decided i should clean up the lenses while i'm there. So i used a product from nanotech at work its like a white
Foam that sprays over and sits. It's purpose is to remove hard dirt and etc. either way it ended up eating through the clear layer, inside the lens. Which was a stupid move on my point but now im left with cloudy lens with the inside peeled off in places. I was thinking about wet sanding it, then reapplying a clear coat on the inside. Infiniti dealership quoted $600 each for just housing + lens (cant buy the lens alone) any ideas ?
I can't say I've experienced anything similar before, but I think it may be worth trying what you had planned... sanding, polishing and reapplying some clear coat inside. Any photos of the lens?

Old 11-17-2014, 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
I can't say I've experienced anything similar before, but I think it may be worth trying what you had planned... sanding, polishing and reapplying some clear coat inside. Any photos of the lens?
i don't but ill take some shortly.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:34 PM
Thumbs up Excellent Customer Service

Just wanted to write up quick review of detailed image, already wrote one up but lost it when I hit post.
While I haven't had the chance to use any of the products that I bought I can honestly say that Detailed Image's customer service is beyond amazing and have exceeded all expectations while helping me . I wasn't sure how to go about creating an account being from Canada and because of this I wasn't able to buy what I wanted before the sale ended so they gave me a coupon code to use. Then when I finally got around to placing an order I got a different dispenser bottle than I had ordered and they immediately went about finding a solution. Not only have they been a great help when stuff has gone wrong but their advice on products has been a great help.
I definitely look forward to throwing more money at them in the future

Old 06-01-2015, 10:50 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Dirty wheels

So I haven't cleaned my wheels in three years and accumulated a load of dirt. I've probably washed the wheels four times and removed most of the dirt but need help removing the last little bits. Wheel cleaner and soap/water won't remove the last things. What would work best? Clay bar? Or should I just use some metal polisher?

Thanks in advance

Old 06-26-2015, 08:11 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by Eye Eat Ketchup
So I haven't cleaned my wheels in three years and accumulated a load of dirt. I've probably washed the wheels four times and removed most of the dirt but need help removing the last little bits. Wheel cleaner and soap/water won't remove the last things. What would work best? Clay bar? Or should I just use some metal polisher?

Thanks in advance

What type of finish is on your wheels? Painted clear coat? Bare metal?

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com

Old 06-26-2015, 08:58 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
What type of finish is on your wheels? Painted clear coat? Bare metal?

Zach McGovern
Hi Zach

Thank you for replying! They're just bare metal. Should I just use metal polish?

Old 06-29-2015, 09:23 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by Eye Eat Ketchup
Hi Zach

Thank you for replying! They're just bare metal. Should I just use metal polish?
Raw metal wheels will be sensitive to harsh cleaners and acids, so you'll want to utilize pH neutral wheel cleaners like Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus, and perhaps even try CarPro IronX. These chemicals will help to breakdown surface contaminates.

If the contamination has bonded or is actually embedded into the surface, you're going to have to use an abrasive to attempt to remove the material. In this case, a metal polish would be the correct product.

Let me know if you've got any other questions.

Zach McGovern

Old 08-07-2015, 11:06 AM
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
What is the best wax to use on top of Modesta? Something that really sticks to it and lasts.

Thanks!

Old 08-08-2015, 05:45 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by Hatchman
What is the best wax to use on top of Modesta? Something that really sticks to it and lasts.

Thanks!
I do not personally know of a wax that is meant to work on top of Modesta.

Instead, I would recommend a coating topper (sealant) like 22ple VS1 Final Coat.

Hope that helps.

Zach McGovern

Old 11-16-2015, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,
first, thank you for helping us out and providing us with you expert advice.

I recently purchased a used G35 Coupe 6MT, it is requiring a lot of cleaning. One challeging piece is the non reflective plastic on the compass/ac panel and on the radio, it has some water-like marks/spots. The radio is screen is a different material than the non reflective instrument panel. I've tried cleaning them with a microfiber and distilled water but no luck. I was wondering what could I use to remove the spots/water marks, I know this non-reflective plastic is very delicate and might scratch easily or stain.

any suggestions are much appreciated.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:07 PM
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
try plastic x. after that you might have to remove the pieces and machine polish them.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:11 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
It is hard to tell from the pictures if I am seeing scratches in the plastic, or just smeared product all over the face of the piece.

It appears it is simply some type of product film build up on the surface, so I would begin with a non-abrasive process utilizing a solvent such as a glass cleaner (alcohol based) or something like mineral spirits. Just get a microfiber towel damp with some chemical and gently wipe the area (test a small spot first) to see if the substance is removed from the face of the plastic.

If you have no luck finding a safe chemical to remove the damage, you may need to utilize an abrasive such as the previously mentioned plastic x, however if the piece is truly meant to not be shiny, this may NOT be a good idea, so be cautious.

Zach McGovern

Old 11-17-2015, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is hard to tell from the pictures if I am seeing scratches in the plastic, or just smeared product all over the face of the piece.

It appears it is simply some type of product film build up on the surface, so I would begin with a non-abrasive process utilizing a solvent such as a glass cleaner (alcohol based) or something like mineral spirits. Just get a microfiber towel damp with some chemical and gently wipe the area (test a small spot first) to see if the substance is removed from the face of the plastic.

If you have no luck finding a safe chemical to remove the damage, you may need to utilize an abrasive such as the previously mentioned plastic x, however if the piece is truly meant to not be shiny, this may NOT be a good idea, so be cautious.

Zach McGovern

Thank you for the advice, if I had to guess maybe it is some kind of armor all spray that was sprayed on the dashboard and the drops landed on the non reflective plastic and they were never cleaned or wiped.
What looks like scratches are more like smudges, I tried cleaning it with just distilled water but no luck. this is a non-reflective plastic, same material as the instrument panel.
I have seen these kind of spots/marks before in other cars when people spray the dashboard and the oily drops land on the instrument panel.
I don't want to scratch that plastic screen because I know how even a finger gets imprinted with the oils. I am wondering if there is something that can remove the oily/silicone(guess) spot without being abrasive. Seems like the Plastix is abrasive enough to peel or scratch the surface. I wonder if something like dishwasher will help remove the oily spot. I have cleaned the car with Woolite(seems to be gentle to clean up everything around and doesn't hurt the leather.
I bought 303 aerospace to apply on the dashboard once I am done cleaning and leatherique for the leather as well. But the spots on the instrument panel got me a tad thinking on how to clean them up without damaging the plastic.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:06 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So been looking to detail my car, I'm going to borrow my friends makita rotary to do the process. I've been looking around and was ready to make my purchase. I was wondering if this would be a good detail for my black G.

Steps:

1. Clay and wash before everything

2. My friend has some Meguiar Ultra Compound 105, will this be fine for the whole car? I'm planning on using Orange Lake County Pads. I have a few deep scratches and some swirls that I'm hoping to get out.

3. Following up with the Meguiar 205 polish seems like the best, so I'll be doing that. Should I go with the white pad with this stage?

4. Im leaning towards Zaino as my sealant. What pad should I be using for this sealant?

5. Finish!

How does this sound?

Last edited by TheBay; 11-24-2015 at 06:19 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer...