Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Leatherique...any personal experience?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leatherique...any personal experience?

I'm looking for some personal experiences with Leatherique.

My 2nd car is a 1994 Acura Legend that I've had FOREVER. I'm putting some work into it, and the leather is in great shape but getting shiny and brittle. I have used Zaino for a long time, and I love it on my G, but its not doing much for this leather. I have always heard about Leatherique but the price scared me away. Then I just read and article and saw some before and after pictures that amazed me. It seemed to truly restore the leather, and it made sense because it looks like the process is literally hours long.

Anybody have any hands on experience of Leatherique? Especially in comparison to Zaino and Lexol(just because those are what I've used)? I've read lots of leather threads where people say "I've heard Leatherique is great" but not a lot of experiences that I can find.

Anybody that can chime in, it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 04-04-2008, 03:33 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I have read alot of good things about the product. It seems to work differently than most cleaner/conditioner products. With this product, you use the conditioner first, allow it to sit to absorb into the leather....preferrably in a warm enviroment. After some time, you will have a sticky residue that will form on the seats. This is actually all the gunk/dirt being pushed back up to the surface of the seat. Then you apply the cleaner. this will remove the residue build up.

heres a link that better explains the whole process....

Click Here for Info

Old 04-04-2008, 03:34 PM
How funny...that's the exact article I read that really got me thinking about dropping the coin on this product. Have you used it? That article and pics boast a pretty dramatic change...wondering if I'm just getting suckered or not though.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:03 PM
since I myself haven't used the product, just feedback I've read on this forum over the years, Contact George@Detailed Image. He's a sponsor here on the site....

I'm sure if anyone can tell you the plus and minus's of the product, It will be him...
Good luck

Last edited by GR8TG35; 04-04-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:22 PM
I've had some pretty good success with Lexol cleaner and conditioner...

that stuff works but it needs a lot of elbow grease

Old 04-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I am skeptical of almost any leather conditioner and how it absorbs into a leather surface that is coated in polyurethane. I suspect it sits on the surface more than anything

Old 04-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I just ordered this stuff. Haven't used it yet, though. I will let you know what I think about it once I get around to doing my car with it.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:04 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
I am skeptical of almost any leather conditioner and how it absorbs into a leather surface that is coated in polyurethane. I suspect it sits on the surface more than anything
+1
Before using a leather care product a detailer needs to know the material they are working on, and wither the product chosen is compatible with the material and will not damage it. Diagnosis is the key, not guess work. Before deciding on what products to use you need to ascertain what type of leather finish you have and wither the pigmented leather has a polyurethane covering, or is (un-coated) finished natural leather, as the cleaning / maintenance varies as to type; although they all require a water-based product to maintain hydration (a suede type leather like Nubuck is the exception).

Automotive leather care is a subject surrounded with misinformation and myth, products such as leather (Saddle) soaps, oil-based Conditioners, Neats-foot oil, and Hide Food still prevail as top sellers, albeit most are made for equestrian tack, Leatherequi is also a very popular product that is used in a market that is dominated by pigmented leather with an acrylic polythene protective covering; which are very different leathers with completely differing care requirements. The exact reason why this is the case is unclear. It’s possible that there is an association with old world quality (i.e. leather upholstery and burl wood interiors) with these types of products, despite the fact that the automotive industry has been using polyurethane covered pigmented leather for many years.

Basic Leather care - http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ther-care.html

Old 04-05-2008, 07:50 AM
I have never tried the leatherique, But the information regarding coated leather seats is correct.

I read an article on autopia, and for that very reason I went with 1Z products from Germany.

I found their leather product keeps the seats clean and supple, and I follow up with their UV Protectant for added protection.....Its worked well for me over the last 4 1/2 yrs.

1Z Leather Care

1Z vinyl Protectant

Old 04-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Leatherique works excellent on G, but I am not sure if leather is polyurethane coated.
My seats are better now than when I got my car 3 years ago-from regular application of Rejuvenator Oil.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:00 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
This guy just posted a review (and lots of pics) on the process.

http://autopia.org/forum/car-detaili...=leather+brush

Old 04-09-2008, 07:45 AM
I've used it before on my 05 G with wheat interior. The leather did soak in the conditioner and seemed to flatten out some of the creases on the drivers side bolsters. The stuff is sold pretty close to me, and I've seen where the local exotic club uses it to clean and condition their seats...It seemed to soften up the leather up some. Granted i keep the car in the garage and is only a weekend driver, so it wasn't too bad to start with.

It does take some time to do, vs being able to just wipe and be done 10 minutes or so.

Last edited by silvernole12; 04-09-2008 at 07:56 AM.