Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Review: Turtle Wax Headlight Lens Restorer Kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 02:35 PM
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Review: Turtle Wax Headlight Lens Restorer Kit

Got haze? Yellowish film on your headlight lenses? Try the lens restoration kit from Turtle Wax.

Product: Turtle Wax Headlight Lens Restorer Kit
Cost: $7.00 - $12.00
Where to buy: Walmart, Advanced Auto Parts, etc...
Description:

The Lens Clarifying Compound quickly removes surface discoloration and may be all that is needed to restore clarity. The three multi-stage wet restoration pads allow the consumer to focus on deeper discoloration and scratches to restore the lens to like-new condition. No buffers or battery-operated machinery are required. Each Turtle Wax Headlight Lens Restorer Kit includes three restoration pads of various grits, four-ounce Spray Lubricant and four-ounce Lens Clarifying Compound.

Quickly removes surface discoloration
Restores clarity
3 multi-stage wet restoration pads
No buffers or battery-operated machinery are required
Includes 3 restoration pads of various grits, 4 oz Spray Lubricant and 4 oz Lens Clarifying Compound

Review:

My headlights weren't all that bad to begin with but I wanted them to be crystal clear....at least until I replace them with '06 projectors. I picked this kit up from Advanced Auto Parts for like $8. Initially I used the Lens Clarifying Compound...squirt some on a clean towel or cotton cloth, buff the lens firmly, repeat. Wipe the residue off with a microfiber towel. Took about 15 minutes and my headlights looked great...

About a month passed by and I noticed the cloudy/hazy look had reappeared. This past weekend I decided to give them the full treatment. Follow the step by step directions on the side of the box. All in all it took me close to an hour but the majority of that was spent masking off the paint around my headlights with newspaper. It takes some elbow grease but its a motion most of us should be familiar with .

All in all I'm very pleased with the results and definitely worth the $8. It's the least I can do with my '03 lights until I pull the trigger on some '06 projectors.

Before and after pics

Attached Thumbnails Review: Turtle Wax Headlight Lens Restorer Kit-headlightbefore.jpg   Review: Turtle Wax Headlight Lens Restorer Kit-headlightafter.jpg  
Old 10-02-2013, 03:35 PM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Nice. I used it on my audi looked like yours.I used meguirs palasticx on Infiniti it worked better no scrubbing!

Old 10-15-2013, 04:14 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Ive used the Turtles restore before and it worked great at first. You need to redo it every 3 to 6 months to keep your headlights clear. I ended up just finding some clean used ones and swapped them out. The problem is heat changes the color of the plastic.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:12 PM
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by BazookaJoe
Ive used the Turtles restore before and it worked great at first. You need to redo it every 3 to 6 months to keep your headlights clear. I ended up just finding some clean used ones and swapped them out. The problem is heat changes the color of the plastic.
Yeah this is true, I can already see it starting to come back faintly. My goal is eventually to upgrade to some '06 projectors...it's just really tough to justify dropping $600+ on some used OEM headlights when mine work just fine. Hopefully I'll stumble upon a deal I can't beat

Old 10-15-2013, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
If you truly want to keep them crystal clear, wet sand, and then use a clear plastic restorer to bring them back... prep the surface and add a clearcoat. A CLEARCOAT is the only surefire way to ensure no more yellowing for a few years.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does this protect against UV rays? I have horrible hazing and I think I want to treat the inside of my headlight lenses with this.