Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

How to clean/polish rims with years of brake dust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 02:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How to clean/polish rims with years of brake dust

Hey guys, i got to take a video of me restoring neglected rims, video shows step by step procedure i take. Let me know what you guys think.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:18 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Nice vid and a good way to clean rims with brake dust buildup. I just have one suggestion, rather than using brushes and cleaner...scrub pads/cleaner (gloves) would do a far better job of removing the crud from the inside of the rims. Nothing harsh, just nylon pads so you're not damaging the painted surface...Gary

Old 12-07-2014, 12:55 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
The pads on my wife's car produce that much in about a month. Simple green and a nylon tire brush keep it in check.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
Nice vid and a good way to clean rims with brake dust buildup. I just have one suggestion, rather than using brushes and cleaner...scrub pads/cleaner (gloves) would do a far better job of removing the crud from the inside of the rims. Nothing harsh, just nylon pads so you're not damaging the painted surface...Gary
Thanks, Im not sure exactly which scrubs your talking about but the paint on these rims is extremely soft therefore it scratches very easily, even with these ridiculously soft brushes it leaves slight swirl marks on there, so i had to put most of my trust in the rim cleaner to do as much break down as it could.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:36 AM
Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
I know of a better way to get the job done. Find a store that sells Naval Jelly, purchase a paint brush for a dollar, go home and wash your rims, apply Naval Jelly using the one dollar paint brush, let it sit for fifteen minutes, wash off and Voila. You're done and with lots of time to relax.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks
I know of a better way to get the job done. Find a store that sells Naval Jelly, purchase a paint brush for a dollar, go home and wash your rims, apply Naval Jelly using the one dollar paint brush, let it sit for fifteen minutes, wash off and Voila. You're done and with lots of time to relax.
Unfortunately its not that easy, something like that would strip/ruin the paint and then you would be screwed

Old 12-12-2014, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
The pads on my wife's car produce that much in about a month. Simple green and a nylon tire brush keep it in check.
German cars are very hard to compare to when it comes to brake dust build, im saying that with experience of working on other cars/rims. That being said this car had roughly 3 years of brake dust build on the inner rim. The video might make it seem like it came off easily but you have no idea how many hours were put into those rims off camera. Notice the first before shots how dirty it is, then right when i rinse the wheels it covers all the brown making it LOOK like its gone but its actually not. If that method works for your wifes car then thats great, but i might suggest that you use other than the tire brush because it will scratch your the rims ruining the clarity and shine, you just might not be able to see it at first when your brushing.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:04 AM
Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
That's not true. I've used Naval Jelly on other surfaces painted and otherwise. It doesn't hurt the paint. It just removes dirt, grime, oxidation, and rust. Your wheels will be fine.