New project: G37 Cluster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 01:49 PM
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
You wanna try on my car Rob, since I have the intelli-key?

Old 03-03-2013, 01:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been looking at doing this in my 03 and have a pretty long background in car electronics but I had a couple questions for you on this.

But first I dont think you will find that it starts even on a 6mt model because you have not addressed the security light issue. I am not exactly sure on this car, the car not the cluster, but when we used to do remote starts on cars before they came out with the digital bypass modules we would usually have to incorporate into the light as well as the transponder. Short of doing a bit of research on that portion I cant tell you how to by pass it or check it.

Also another thought I had was on the 06 does the clusters need to be coded to the car? I know we had replaced clusters that needed to be coded up to the car before it would work, but I thought they would still start so just trying to throw it out there. But you could unplug your factory cluster and try to start the car, if it doesnt start I would say that could be the problem...or you could just be no further then you are now. I know some cars wont start without the cluster plugged in, so your car may not be "seeing" this new cluster. I know this isnt very definitive but its just what came to my mind.

Question though is did you just need the unified meter and where did you get the plugs for everything? I assume you got them from LKQ or something? Plus from what I can see in the wiring schematic the 8 pulse is only from the unified meter to the cluster but takes a different input, which I am not sure why they would have changed the VSS between the motors because most manufactures keep these sensors the same for years, but hey Im ok with being wrong.

I just thought it would be cool to do this instead of the 06 cluster and from what you are saying you dont think there are differences between the AT and 6MT clusters? I have a 6MT and dont want a P or something on the cluster cause it thinks its in gear?

Last edited by lethal_35; 03-03-2013 at 01:58 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:34 AM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by lethal_35
I have been looking at doing this in my 03 and have a pretty long background in car electronics but I had a couple questions for you on this.

But first I dont think you will find that it starts even on a 6mt model because you have not addressed the security light issue. I am not exactly sure on this car, the car not the cluster, but when we used to do remote starts on cars before they came out with the digital bypass modules we would usually have to incorporate into the light as well as the transponder. Short of doing a bit of research on that portion I cant tell you how to by pass it or check it.

Also another thought I had was on the 06 does the clusters need to be coded to the car? I know we had replaced clusters that needed to be coded up to the car before it would work, but I thought they would still start so just trying to throw it out there. But you could unplug your factory cluster and try to start the car, if it doesnt start I would say that could be the problem...or you could just be no further then you are now. I know some cars wont start without the cluster plugged in, so your car may not be "seeing" this new cluster. I know this isnt very definitive but its just what came to my mind.

Question though is did you just need the unified meter and where did you get the plugs for everything? I assume you got them from LKQ or something? Plus from what I can see in the wiring schematic the 8 pulse is only from the unified meter to the cluster but takes a different input, which I am not sure why they would have changed the VSS between the motors because most manufactures keep these sensors the same for years, but hey Im ok with being wrong.

I just thought it would be cool to do this instead of the 06 cluster and from what you are saying you dont think there are differences between the AT and 6MT clusters? I have a 6MT and dont want a P or something on the cluster cause it thinks its in gear?
I can tell you for sure on g35's

1 car won't start without a cluster installed
2 clusters can be interchanged without programming
3 a 5at won't start with a 6mt cluster and vice versa
4 whatever mileage is on the cluster will stay exactly the same no matter what car you install it in.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Received 136 Likes on 62 Posts
exactly, also, I didn't order plugs.. I hard wired the pigtail from the cluster to the unified meter. and yes you do need the unified meter to get the cluster to work half way since it's used in CAN communication and handles a portion of the clusters functions. in 06 it was built in to the compass/display.. in 07-08+ they separated it into a little white box that sits above the radio.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:18 PM
so are you saying there is no difference in the MT to AT cluster? A MT cluster seems impossible to find but I was not sure if they were different clusters or if the cluster just receives its "gear" position from the can system and if its not present that area is blank? again just dont want to waist my time with the wrong cluster.

Im building my in car computer and am getting rid of all physical switches, from window switches to locks to the full AC control set up, and am designing it to all be done through the 12" touch screen on the dash! That being said im getting rid of my nav and it would be cool to still retain the MPG and such, plus I cant say I have seen an 37 cluster in a gen 1 so I think it would be fun.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:03 PM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by psycobusa
3 a 5at won't start with a 6mt cluster and vice versa
2 posts above yours is your answer

Old 03-03-2013, 02:27 PM
yes I read that post. I was asking Rob if he knew if they were different clusters all together? No disrespect to Busa but this is just a little different of a mod and I cant this is a g37 cluster. The car may not have started for a number of reasons, in regards to the wrong cluster, but if these clusters are the same just take a can input for additional data then that is my real question. Needless to say this is also going in a 03 and there are a a few differences from some of the newer g35 but i am just gathering info. So unless Busa has some advise pertaining to the swap, or thats what he is referring to, then I am am just asking people who have done it.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:18 PM
also Rob did you re wire your 4 trans wires into the new unified meter? I was going through trying to see how they all get signal, between the years of clusters, and as I suspected the 08+ receives it signals for an AT through the unified meter and sends its data to the cluster from there. Makes me think that the cluster could be the same and the unified meters could be the same between AT and MT. I mean manufactures are all about cutting costs and if they only had to make one that would do both why not. seems like a pretty easy thing to write in the code, you dont see a signal on this wire it wont output a trans signal to the cluster? Again just doing my investigating

looks like with the new cluster and unified meter you could add paddle shifters too! just take it one step further!

Old 06-22-2014, 07:45 PM
Received 136 Likes on 62 Posts
selling parts if anyone wants to pick up where I left off.
https://g35driver.com/forums/interio...ml#post6914989