Drift SCCA Formula Drift, Drift Showoff, Drift Session, Drift Day, D1 Grand Prix, Drift Nation

Drifting in a 5AT coupe (how to?)

Old 05-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drifting in a 5AT coupe (how to?)

Since we don't really have too many discussions about this, May we have some people who do successfully "drift" their 5AT coupes chime in on how to drift a 5AT? and maybe post videos and such?

it was briefly discussed in this thread:
https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...t=drifting+5AT
but that was for a 07+ sedans

Basically the information that I got from there is use manual mode and feather the gas/throttle and something about getting a custom LSD or a new one? but that doesn't really help much on how to actually proceed to try to drift in our cars

Last edited by chinabean; 05-17-2008 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't think its possible.. If it is it will be very hard because of the manual mode. You'd need some performance mods for sure to break the traction

Old 05-17-2008, 04:01 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
I go bat **** in my car when i get the chance...i never have went out of 2nd gear though....

-Sean

Old 05-17-2008, 04:15 PM
Some 5AT had the LSD added as option if it came with the performance package I think.

I saw a video of a 350Z AT drifting and in the video he said it was only possible due to the speed. I think you would just accelerate hard in a lower gear, turn opposite direction to understeer then keep the speed to maintain the drift. I never drifted in summer though (besides when the rear rips out from a stand still) so don't take my word on it; haha.

In winter I did it pretty much the same way but it is alot easier to drift in the winter. I kept the car in first gear, turned the wheel, and when the rear slipped out I just maintained it by keeping the revs high and turning in the opposite direction of the drift.

Old 05-17-2008, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by ninous26
I don't think its possible.. If it is it will be very hard because of the manual mode. You'd need some performance mods for sure to break the traction

how the hell you already have 1k posts? post *****! lol

well with vdc off..I tried it...and the car would slide like 50% before it spun out of control and do a 360 spin

Old 05-17-2008, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by Asad_A203
Some 5AT had the LSD added as option if it came with the performance package I think.

I saw a video of a 350Z AT drifting and in the video he said it was only possible due to the speed. I think you would just accelerate hard in a lower gear, turn opposite direction to understeer then keep the speed to maintain the drift. I never drifted in summer though (besides when the rear rips out from a stand still) so don't take my word on it; haha.

In winter I did it pretty much the same way but it is alot easier to drift in the winter. I kept the car in first gear, turned the wheel, and when the rear slipped out I just maintained it by keeping the revs high and turning in the opposite direction of the drift.
link the video!

Old 05-17-2008, 04:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vestigeka24

well with vdc off..I tried it...and the car would slide like 50% before it spun out of control and do a 360 spin
More power! stay on the gas, less steer more gas. Power > Steer

Old 05-17-2008, 04:47 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
neutral drops at speed LOL, I don't think its going to go very well since you don't have a handbrake or a way to dump the clutch

Old 05-17-2008, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by redlude97
neutral drops at speed LOL, I don't think its going to go very well since you don't have a handbrake or a way to dump the clutch
LOL! I used to do neutral dumps at speed with my acura.. It looks sick as hell but ****** your tranny up.

FOOTBRAKE FTL!

Old 05-17-2008, 04:52 PM

Here you go.

Old 05-17-2008, 04:54 PM

Its called a donut lol. and that video of the sedan in that link you posted was NOT drifting.

THIS IS DRIFTING:

PS: Are you chinabean?

Old 05-17-2008, 05:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
You'll need to get an aftermarket LSD first. Then using manual mode with the VDC off, you can learn to drift.

HOWEVER, if you're really serious about this, you should learn to drive a MT first, and use a MT car, as the trans is going to take a severe beating in a AT, and you WILL incur (hefty) repair costs.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by ninous26
Its called a donut lol. and that video of the sedan in that link you posted was NOT drifting.

THIS IS DRIFTING:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Swwv...eature=related

PS: Are you chinabean?

yeah i know haha, and yes I is ma'am, i mean sir

Originally Posted by Asad_A203

thanks!

Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
You'll need to get an aftermarket LSD first. Then using manual mode with the VDC off, you can learn to drift.

HOWEVER, if you're really serious about this, you should learn to drive a MT first, and use a MT car, as the trans is going to take a severe beating in a AT, and you WILL incur (hefty) repair costs.
yeah I know, I keep wanting to trade in my 5AT at the dealer somehow and get a 6MT but i don't know how that is all going to work out since I already changed a few things on my car and my 5AT is like excellent condition inside and out...

*sighs* I guess drifting in a 5At wouldn't of been so bad if it wasn't for having the foot-e-brake

Last edited by Calvin; 05-17-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:02 PM
yeah I know, I keep wanting to trade in my 5AT at the dealer somehow and get a 6MT but i don't know how that is all going to work out since I already changed a few things on my car and my 5AT is like excellent condition inside and out...

*sighs* I guess drifting in a 5At wouldn't of been so bad if it wasn't for having the foot-e-brake

I want to trade in my G too but if you already have payments on your G plus you trade it in for another car I think the payments would double or soemthing. I'm still WAY new on this whole car buying thing.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Drifting is great fun, but I've never tried it in an automatic car. For some reason I think the tranny really won't like it. You're better off going down to a track and beating it around there, the tranny should cope better with that sort of punishment.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Drifting in a 5AT coupe (how to?)