Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Anyone ever done CV shafts on an AWD?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mcaron
yeah that why i just lifted it for the winter here :/ but if someone throws up a pic of the whoe side of the front suspension, i can tell you guys which bolts/nuts to take off to get to axle out
Tomorrow I will jack up my ride and remove the front wheel to snap some pics. Any and all instructions you can provide would be great. I;ve never done this before but I do consider myself mechanically inclined.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:28 AM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
should be exactly the same as any CV axle on a FWD car.

you need a large 30-36mm socket to remove the axle nut, disconnect the tie rod end from spindle. pending if there is more stuff blocking you might be able to pull it out from there. tap the axle out of the spindle and yank out of the front diff.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Machine if you snap pics i can tell you exactly how to do it

Turtle you need more than a yank lol the first time i did it thats what i thought too, but i can you use 2 screwdrivers/crowbars from both sides to pop it out. They are like locked in by a clip so you have to pop it out.

Very easy job though

Old 11-28-2010, 04:55 PM
^ the end that goes into the trans has a C-clip. 1 pry bar normally gets that end out. If not a couple of smashes on the pry bar.

The end in the spindle normally gives me trouble because i'm scared of mushrooming the end when i hit it out. But now that i have a air hammer, its all gravy.

In my mind its a fair easy job that just requires a little common sense plus some muscle.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:41 PM
^ yes thats the clip im talking about haha and im sure you know what im talking about when i say you cant just pull it out, you have to kind of pry it out. but yes it is a very easy job.

Pics anyone?

Old 12-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Did my best to snap pics of areas that i think I'll be working in including. I still have the car jacked up so let me know if you need any better shots or diff angles.

Anyone ever done CV shafts on an AWD?-l02be.jpg
Anyone ever done CV shafts on an AWD?-t0wdb.jpg
Anyone ever done CV shafts on an AWD?-sipie.jpg
Anyone ever done CV shafts on an AWD?-75ytp.jpg
Anyone ever done CV shafts on an AWD?-bs27c.jpg
Anyone ever done CV shafts on an AWD?-ndkcb.jpg
Anyone ever done CV shafts on an AWD?-t2pph.jpg
Anyone ever done CV shafts on an AWD?-fequ2.jpg

Old 12-01-2010, 02:53 PM
these pics wont really help, do me a favor take a pic of like the whole wheel well from a short distance so i can point out the nuts that you have to take off

Old 12-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Ill do my best to explain it from memory:

1. Jack up and take off wheel
2.Remove axle nut
3.Remove 2 bolts holding caliper on
4.Remove rotor
5.Look on the knucle somewhere there should be a nut facing upwards(circled red in pic #1). Remove this nut and if i remember correctly you should be able to manuver that end of the axle out while rotating the knuckle.
6.If the knuckle doesnt rotate yet then remove the nut thats connected to the upper control arm.
7. Once you get the axle out of the wheel bearing end, you then have to try and "pop" the other end out of the front diff. For this i used 2 pry bars/ screwdrivers and used them at the same time to pop it out. Takes some force and is kind of a PITA but it will come out

And thats about all. I know its not perfect but its off the top of my head, so i cant remeber everything without having it in front of me

Attached Thumbnails Anyone ever done CV shafts on an AWD?-juan-p-52.jpg  
Old 12-01-2010, 06:27 PM
^ Rotor removal isn't always needed. I guess it helps but you can often times leave them on.

the picture looks really easy to get to, me having done like 8 suspension pulls now.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Duuuude you are effing awesome.
Q:
On using the pry bars where should I be sticking the edges and what will I be prying against the front diff case/transmission? will it just pop loose and fall out?

Old 12-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Hopefully you can get it done with that lil explaination.

Anyways as you see the the picture you should be able to pry right where the arrow it pointed, there should be a space there. Just try popping the axle, you will know when its out then you just grab the axle in your hand and the whole assembly will come right out

Again these directions are off my head, if your stuck anywhere just let me know

Attached Thumbnails Anyone ever done CV shafts on an AWD?-t2pph.jpg  
Old 12-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Finally, an explanation of how to remove the front shafts.

I think I need to do two new wheel bearings on my x come spring time....amazing....toast at 70k miles

One question...does front diff need to be drained when popping the shafts out?

Does shaft even need to fully come out to change the bearings? Is there enough play to swing it to the side?

I'm sure more guys will need to know this info as our cars become up there in age and costs of replacing those bearings are still high

Old 12-01-2010, 09:01 PM
ive done the front wheel bearings on mine also.

No the front diff does not need to be drained, when you pop the axle out, NO fluid comes out.

When just doing the front wheel bearing, you can just pop is out one end, and swing it aside (not taking it out of the front diff) but its so simple to just take it out all together and just gets one more thing out of your way to get the front wheel bearing out

Old 12-02-2010, 04:14 PM
^ this sounds great. Pretty much like any FWD car. hopefully mines will last me the lifetime =), but i never that lucky. Knowing my luck stuff breaks in the middle of winter and i need to do in the freezing weather.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:51 PM
its very simple...except when the wheel bearing is corroded onto the knuckle and is nearing impossible to get off.....like mine.

In this case i rented a side hammer, bolted it up to my wheel hub and started going at it. This worked just enough to pull the hub assebly out about 1/2 inch (while separating the actual wheel bearing from the hub) I then tried a crob bar, it was bending, so i took a hammer, used the other end and pryed the hell out of it

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever done CV shafts on an AWD?