FS[MidWest]: Built SGP 5AT

Old 04-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Built SGP 5AT

EDIT: New pics in post 13!

Price Drop, $2200 Shipped!

UPDATE:

The transmission was originally from a 2004 G35 located in Texas. It was likely chosen as a candidate for a build after the G35 was totaled in 2008 with about 29k miles. I ran a CarFax on the transmission VIN number and that's what I came up with. I believe the guy who built it used this transmission in his 350z, or immediately sent to to Forged Performance to be built.

Hey guys,

I bought this built 5AT transmission for an 03-04 (external TCU) G35 or 350z from my350z.com member jmicaelk. Unfortunately, I cannot install it because I am getting rid of my car.

Here is what you get:
-Built internals (clutch packs, etc.)
-3200 Pro Torque Converter
-Upgraded Valve Body
-GTM Tranny Cooler w/stainless steel braided lines

Here is the original FS thread:
http://my350z.com/forum/drivetrain/5...built-5at.html

Here is the description from that thread:
Hi guys I'm selling my built 5AT. This tranny can push close to 600whp with no problem. It has the upgraded valve body and a Pro Torque Converter(3200 stall) and all upgraded clutch packs etc. For the price I'm also throwing in a GTM tranny cooler.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92888386@N00/5569165505/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92888386@N00/5565479775/

$2500 plus shipping OBO, might be open to trades plus money. Let me know what you have

Thanks for looking
In case you don't want to bother looking at the old thread, here are jmicaelk's FS photos:

Here are some pictures I took today. I do not want to unpack it because I am no longer installing it in my car:

I paid $2800 shipped, and I would like to recoup my loss, but I am a little flexible on price. Right now I'll sell it for $2500 Shipped.

Just for perspective, if one wanted to mod their 5AT they would pay about $1100 for parts and around $1800-$2000 total, after labor (for cooler install, VB upgrade install, and converter install), not including the built internals and clutch packs.

EDIT: To avoid any confusion, I'll post exactly what I know about the tranny package.

Here are some PMs I exchanged with the former owner:

I have a few questions:
1) How long have you had this piece?
2) How many miles are on the tranny? Did you use it under boost?
3) How does the tq converter feel? How is it around town? How is the throttle response, etc.?
4) How is the VB upgrade? Tell me more about it, is it better than the Transgo kit? I forget your specific unit's specifications?
5) How should one install the cooler? I will most likely have the dealer install the transmission, do you have any recommendations?
Hi well to answer most of your questions I never got to use it and had it in the garage for a little over a year now.
It was built by SPG so it is a really good one, Sharif is the one that sent it to them to have it rebuilt for a customer and they tested it with 505 rwhp, but it should be able to handle over 600 rwhp. The valvebody should be as good or better than Transgo and I was told it shifts really fast and smoth, add this up with paddle shifters and a 550 rwhp engine and you have a monster That is what I was building for but no time for this anymore as my 1000 rwhp build takes all my time now and most money
When you talk about installing the cooler I assume you mean to the car as it is installed to the tranny already. Well I installed one before next to the power steering cooler, so just drill some holes there and bolt it up, pretty easy actually.
I will get you a quote later today if you are interested.
That all sounds great. Is the TCU external or internal? Is this transmission from an 03-04 or an 05-06?

I am def. interested in a quote.
Hi well I bought it for a -04 so I have to assume it will work, as for the TCU, I don't know, how can I find out ??
Thanks for the info. I'll get you some info so you can check. They look slightly different on the outside. I'll have to search for some pics.

Maybe SPG knows?
Hi sorry that should be SGP and the owner before me had a -03 350z so you should be ok

I hope this helps clear up any confusion. jmicaelk and I never had the chance to install the transmission, and I am only selling b/c my car is totaled and I need some money to help pay for my new car. If anyone has more specific questions, please feel free to ask me. I'm also sure jmicaelk would be willing to answer as well. He was incredibly helpful throughout the whole transaction and has sold/has for sale several other high dollar items on this forum. I have also done several transactions on this site, but many more on G35Driver. I am far more active over there than here. Feel free to search my posts.

I am flexible on the price, but I do not want to get hosed.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by MM_G3520; 05-23-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:09 PM
Correction, an SGP tranny.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:09 PM
Im interested, but Ill need to do some research first. Do you know SPG's website? I don't know much about their company. also does it come with a TCM? and where are you located?

Old 04-29-2011, 02:21 AM
Originally Posted by nsh1351
Im interested, but Ill need to do some research first. Do you know SPG's website? I don't know much about their company. also does it come with a TCM? and where are you located?
Hey, it's actually SGP. I do not think they are in business any longer. I am not sure where the TCM is located, but if it's what I think is the TCU, it should be under the dash. I'm located in Ohio.

If you want some more info, the my350z thread might be more helpful.
http://my350z.com/forum/drivetrain/5...t-sgp-5at.html

Here is a quote from the previous owner that explains the origin of the transmission:
Originally Posted by jmicaelk
To add some info to this is that Shariff had this tranny sent to SGP to have it built, so I'm pretty sure he wouldn't let some crap come back. I had it in my garage for almost 18 months and have no reason to believe it to be anything wrong with it.
GLWS and sorry to hear about your car.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:47 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts
this will only fit 03-04 Early Models 5AT just f.y.i. I have an 04.5 and I picked up an 03 transmission to install on my g35 coupe...swapped over the VB's into mine..come to find out that my TCU was built into my VB because I was 04.5.....the external TCM came one early model 03-04 5AT's and then in 04.5 they integrated the TCM into the VB.

reason I know this is that I bought an external TCM as well and tried to locate underneath my dash and it didnt exist....thats when I called Infiniti and verified my VIN Number and I ended up having the intergrated TCM into my VB.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by g35man04
this will only fit 03-04 Early Models 5AT just f.y.i. I have an 04.5 and I picked up an 03 transmission to install on my g35 coupe...swapped over the VB's into mine..come to find out that my TCU was built into my VB because I was 04.5.....the external TCM came one early model 03-04 5AT's and then in 04.5 they integrated the TCM into the VB.

reason I know this is that I bought an external TCM as well and tried to locate underneath my dash and it didnt exist....thats when I called Infiniti and verified my VIN Number and I ended up having the intergrated TCM into my VB.
Yes, you are absolutely correct!

Old 05-04-2011, 12:17 AM
Bump!

Old 05-04-2011, 01:30 AM
Wow, I Sed8 U, thanks so much for the additional info. To be honest, it makes me want to keep the damn car and throw in this transmission. That is exactly what I was going for with the upgrade.

I appreciate your info, and feel free to share more if people have questions, etc. I know this particular trans was sent to SGP by Sharif for a build/rebuild, so I don't know if that makes a difference, but it certainly looks like a nice piece.

Last edited by MM_G3520; 05-11-2011 at 02:35 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by I Sed8 U
I took my supercharger off and kept the UTEC, some fuel system work and the trans on the car. I still chirp third with 100whp less. I love this transmission and would pick it over a 6MT any day!

I can talk on the phone, eat a burger, sip a drink and adjust the AC all while chirping each gear as you worry about a mis-shift
I agree! I just wish someone would pick it up so I can divert funds to my new project!

I've even listed it locally on craiglist I doubt anything will come out of that.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:46 PM
SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD

Here are some new pics!

Last edited by MM_G3520; 05-26-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Price drop bump!

Old 05-18-2011, 11:58 AM
Bump

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: FS[MidWest]: Built SGP 5AT